Acceleration problems... Please help! :(

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Mrrwest, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mrrwest New Member

Hello people, i have 1999 mk 4 golf 1.8t, when i put my foot down it doesnt pick up, really struggles, like theres a blockage or something. But if i feather the accelerater the speed does pick up. Any ideas before the local garage rapes me of the money i dont have?

Thank you :thumbup:

2. Collie Forum Junkie

have you checked anything yet?

i would start with the pipe work vac hoses etc

3. turbotommy Forum Member

Well my guess is its nothing to do with the throttle,it would shut down if there was a problem.i'd be looking at the MAF or a vac/boost leak to begin with but really you need to find a local kind soul with VAG COM to have a look at it for you before taking it to a garage.

4. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

get it read on can com mate... limp mode is a bugger... could be any of the above or a hall sensor on cam which caused mine to go in to limp mode before... but you need to plug it in and get it read first.

5. Mrrwest New Member

I changed the MAF sensor, with a second hand one.
    What is a Vag com? Is it a diagnostic? Because i took it to the garage before and he done a diagnostic and it came up with MAF, which is y i changed it. Something strange hapened though, it was running the way i described when i got it, after the garage done the diagnostic on it, it was worse, i couldnt get it to start at first, and it was running really ruff on the way home, even stalled on a round a bout, then couldnt start again. So i left it at home until the MAF arrived, after changing that, it went back to running how it did when i got it/ and how it is now. I will check hoses tomorow though,bnot really sure what im looking for though, just hoses that are loose? Fallen off? Im a proper noob at all this. So is that what is happening to my car, im in "limp mode"?

Thanks for replys, i knew i would find help here.

6. Mrrwest New Member

Also, i did have a go at cleaning the throttle body. Which made no diference. Jus thoughht id add that.

7. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

I hope you were careful when cleaning this... the butterfly is sensitive. Vag com is the software that reads any faults... it can tell you whats up. The throttle body may need relining now its been off.. bag com can do this too.

Where are you based? maybe someone close with bag com can help

8. Mrrwest New Member

Im in hemel hempstead. I kno one person whos really into VWs, bt more old skool. But il try him. So is my local likly to have a vag com?

9. Mrrwest New Member

Chekd hoses (i think) thy all seem to be intact, attached. That i can see anyway lol.

10. Collie Forum Junkie

when did the plugs last get changed. i had a set fail on me.

11. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

Thats what killed my green mk4 [:^(]

12. Mrrwest New Member

No idea. Buy plugs do u mean the coil packs? :s thanks. Ive stil not got anywher, cant find anyone with vag com eitha :(

13. Collie Forum Junkie

plugs=spark plugs.

14. Mrrwest New Member

I will be checking these soon. Cheers mate.

15. Mrrwest New Member

I changed my panel air filter with an induction, abit ofa last up, jus wanted to hear how it sounded, but took it round block n to my amazment, my accelerater problem has gone! :s thanks for all the advice though. I have got a vag com on the way aswel, incase i get anything else.

16. Mrrwest New Member

Spark plugs are coverd in oil!

17. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

sounds like the rocker/cam cover gasket has gone... about 15 for a new one and easy to replace.. doing mine next weekend!

18. Mrrwest New Member

Yea im doing mine at weekend too. The car stil isnt quite rite tho. Since changing the air filter, it has inproved, but stil doesnt pik up as much as i know it could. Stil baffled. I have ordered a code reader, wil c what tht is sayin, when it gets here.

19. Mrrwest New Member

Ok update, whenever i mess about with the air filter, car seems to run abit better for a little while... :s

20. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

Is the replacement MAF plugged in correctly? And in the right way round.. If its possible to plug it in wrong.