Acceleration problems... Please help! :(

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Mrrwest, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mrrwest New Member

Im fairly sure it is in the rite way, and pluged ok. The dump valve (or should i say recirc valve) is quite chatty aswel, its like thers alot of presure building up, but car jus doesnt go! Lol.
    I have now changed the rocker cover gasket, new sparks are now safe from oil. :)
    Also want to add, before i said the car is running better after changing air filter, its gone bk to how it was before :s what is turbo lag? Anyone? Could it be?

2. Mrrwest New Member

Ok not turbo lag, just read about it. Grrrr wot is it?? :@

3. Mrrwest New Member

Got my code reader, had a few codes on it, deleted thm, and onli one has come back. 16500 - engine coolant temp circuit/performance problem. Also (with tht said) ive noticed my car warms up to 90, like it should (maybe taking abit longer thn usual) but thn drops all the way bk down when driving :s im goin to replace stat and sensor. Heaters blow warm/hottish. Could this (i cant c how tbh) b causing my acceleration prob? Also, does anyone have pics of what pipes i need to check incase its that. How do i reset ecu?

4. Mrrwest New Member

Could it be fuel pump or filter?

5. nealey Forum Junkie

Start with the coolant sensor/ stat and then see if there is any improvement. A faulty coolant sensor can cause starting problems/ overfuelling etc as it's sending the wring signals to the engine ecu. This problem is only going to be made worse as well if the thermostat is sticking open

6. Mrrwest New Member

Nope, still no joy. Im replacing the recirc valve tomorow, c if tht helps. Annoying me now tho lol

7. Mrrwest New Member

How do i check vac/boost leak?

8. Mrrwest New Member

Done the recirc, stil... No joy. Altho, the little pipe on top of the recirc was perished and snaped at otha end, so changed tht, also, the short 90degree bent tht goes into the top of engine, wich i asume is where the air goes in, had a hole in it, but i took one od off when i changed the rocker cover gasket, didnt notice it thn, and could poss of made the hole wen i was putin it bk :s i dont kno. But both pipes r now replaced, and car has not improved atal. Or, could it be tht the car has learnt this way of driving? Can i, and do i need to reset the ecu or something? Another thing is that i now have a 00561 code. Mixture adjustment control. What now people?
    Please if ur all out of ideas, pass the problem on to others, im soo determined to fix this issue myself. Thanks for all ur help so far tho :)

9. nealey Forum Junkie

Mixture control can be caused by many things, you need to check thoroughly for air leaks, air flow meter can be faulty as could the lambda sensor. Have you replaced the coolant sensor and thermostat yet as this could also cause it

10. Mrrwest New Member

Yes mate, they are working fine now. Is there any tricks or easy way of checking for the leaks? Ive replaced the MAF sensor already, or could it be that the replacement one is faulty aswel? Im not getting the fault code back since changing it either tho. Heres a list
    So far i have
    New sparks
    New oil (not coz i fort it wud help, jus part of service lol)
    New oil filter
    New fuel filter
    New recirc valve
    Replaced MAF sensor
    New stat and sender
    New rocker cover gasket
    Replaced small pipe from top of recirc valve as was snapped.
    Also the 90 degree pipe from rocker cover had hole in, done that just today.
    Not sure about how long the last 2 wer broke, didnt notice b4, maybe i broke thm myself whilst messin with otha bits.

Fault codes i got was
    16486 - maf circuit low input - hasnt come bk since replaced sensor
    16500 - engine coolant - hasnt come bk since renewed stat n sender
    00561 - mixture adjustment control - this one came bk today after changing recirc, i deleted it and am waiting to c if it returns.

11. Mrrwest New Member

Could hole in exhaust b the cause?

12. nealey Forum Junkie

Reading back through it I see you used a 2nd hand air flow meter so there is a possibility it could be faulty still, they don't always throw up a code when they are faulty as the parameters are quite large. You could try unplugging it and drive the car and see if it improves but this will put the original code you had back so you will need to erase it again.

To check for airleaks I normally spray carb/brake spray around the engine whilst it's running and see if the revs pick up at any point, obviously be careful around the exhaust as it is flammable

13. Mrrwest New Member

Lol, how does it make the revs go up? Seems abit dangerous, id probly cause a fire lol. I have tried the unplugging, and it does run worse. I cant believ ive got nowhere with this lol. I mite try the spraying, do i spray just near the pipes or literally cover the pipes in it? Could i not use water n look for bubbles lol?
    Cheers mate

14. Mrrwest New Member

Did i mention since puttng the new recirc on, the chatter is quieter. And more of a pssst rather than a wastegate kinda chatter. :s
    Someone on the other hand suggested clutch??

15. Mrrwest New Member

But then id notice the revs sudenly fly up, so nah to the clutch i fink

16. BreadBin Forum Member

The carb cleaner trick really does work for finding air leaks, just spray all joints in the intake system whilst the engine is running and if the revs rise you have a leak. The carb cleaner acts as a fuel as it gets sucked into the engine.

17. Mrrwest New Member

Shall giv it a try. Need a down pipe aswel, got a leak on the flexi ... Grrrr

18. Mrrwest New Member

Tried the carb cleaner, but was abit scared lol. I didnt evn kno wot hoses to spray lol. But the ones i did spray made no changes to revs.
    VNT anyone? Guide how to clean maybe?

19. Mrrwest New Member

VNT anyone? Stuck needle? Anyone got a giude on how to clean it? I hear mr muscle is good. But i dont even kno wher it is lol, let alone how to get it off lol. Also, i hear you can turn thm off or something? How? If a good idea

20. G-Man Forum Junkie

Don't think a ko3 uses VNT as the TDI engines do.