Advanced driving courses...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Tubthumped, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

ME and my old man are looking at taking an avanced driving course.
    Just wondered what people would reccomend?
    Which ones are the best?
    Which ones give you an insurance discount?

2. AndrewD Forum Member

Have you thought about going for the IAM test? The costs are minimal and it can be done at your leisure.

I'd seriously consider this before paying a fortune for 'HPC' or 'Paul Ripley' type training, as they will only spend time teaching you the same basic IAM stuff - observation, use of controls, judging speed, etc.

I didn't get any drop in insurance premium although some companies offer discounts of around 5%. However if I remember correctly, IAM members are statistically 7 time less likely to be involved in an accident than the rest of the driving population!

Since passing my IAM test I enjoy driving even more, and can make progress in a much safer, smoother manner. I am also certain that it has saved me from at least one major accident. :) Well worthwhile!

Andy

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

What kind of things does that cover?
    Wouldn't mind doing something like the Blue light training-- going out with Dex gave me the idea of learning how to drive properly!... [8D]

4. damogti Forum Junkie

***Moving to the car general section***

Hope you dont mind Craig!!:)

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Did the IAM test straight after Uni at 23.
    Not only helps with insurance but makes others feel more confident in your driving (placates nervous passengers and means people lend your their cars!).
    Only trouble is the pompous old pillocks who put an IAM badge on their grills and think they are vastly superior to other road users!
    My wife's grandad is an instructor so saved those costs but the test was only 40ish and you get good discounts on other stuff (25% off AA/RAC cover, etc).
    Also did some proper cop driver training which was great fun - Bazzing around in a tuned Mondeo Si scaring all the other road users and not getting stopped!

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

How did you get to do the Police one!?

8. damogti Forum Junkie

Just trying to keeo the crap in the crap section and the good stuff out of it. Thats why this section was created......

Still [:s] ?

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I suppose the other section is full of crap...
    [:s] Withdrawn!

[:^:] <-- I post in the good section!

10. damogti Forum Junkie

lol!! [:*:] :hug: Glkad you now approve!! [:D]

11. cliveyp Forum Member

Did the IAM test about 3 years ago. I found it made me more confident, and although i don't tend to drive like a mad sod, if i do i feel safe. Many people have told me they'd rather be in the car with me than with xxxxxxx, so i can only take that as a good thing. I have also noticed myself how my driving compares with some friends driving, and it seems like i'm a lot smoother, and do things more progressively. As for getting cheaper insurance, i didn't so i am actually no longer a member. But i still think it was worthwhile taking the test!

12. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Tubthumped - Totally jammy on the cop course.
    Did a temp job for the Police that involved taking all the forensics to the lab in Chepstow (from Bristol) - Included big sacks of dope, crack, coke,weapons, etc plus did all the internal post.
    Had to do the course (already had IAM) as a sort of reverse pursuit thing - Advanced running/driving away!
    Think some Army quals and a thorough background check helped to show I probably wouldn't sod off with all the loot!

13. AndrewD Forum Member

Training should be free anyway, provided you join a local IAM group .. actually they refer to them as 'observed' runs. I just turned up on a few SUnday mornings to my local meet, got assigned an observer and went off for 1.5 hours.

Some observers were old stuffy types who complained if you even thought of using fixed-imput steering .. but others were a lot more fun, including an ex-police driver who insisted we go back and forth along a local national-speed-limit back-road practising 'lines' around bends at high speed! :p

Total cost was about 20 to join my local group and 40-ish for the test with a Police Class 1 (eek!) instructor.

A

14. MarkReading New Member

Have you thought about the other advanced driving course after the IAM - which is RoSPA? Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

This test is retaken every 3 years if you wish to keep your standard up and is graded so you know how good you are whereas the IAM test is simply pass or fail.

I am presently a member of the Thames Valley Group and hold a Gold pass and at present starting to do his Diploma right now. I have done the IAM test several years ago yet you dont retest so you could be 60 yrs old hold the IAM certificate, claim to be an advanced driver yet your standards have fallen a great deal.

This is why the RoSPA Advanced Driving Test is regarded to be the best around and getting the top grade as being the highest possible grade any UK driver can hold.

HAve a look at our web site and see what you think and find links to other local Groups and, of course, the RoSPA main web site too..... :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.mccormick2/Rospa1/index. htm
    Edited by: MarkReading

15. jazzy16v New Member

5% saving from the over 500 insurance premiums that probably most of us dubbers pay? So how much is the IAM test and how many 25 savings off my premium will i make to recover the cost of the IAM lessons and test?

16. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Jazzy - Just doing it to save money is probably the wrong approach and may limit your enthusiasm!
    It's more about being a safer driver than saving a few quid.
    Test costs 40 as mentioned, "lessons" should be free with an IAM observer and it's 14 a year to keep your membership up (I do). I save about 20 on AA cover and probably 50-100 on insurance plus a load of other deals on offer.
    Test is quite arduous but okay if you have the right attitude. Mine was an hour and a half and was indeed with a Class 1 Cop instructor. Another one did my cop training stuff and I have never seen a better driver anywhere.
    Most of the cops who crash have no further training (usually in Focus', Astras or 306s) but decide they are qualified to do pursuit driving. Seen some very bad cop driving from these guys (and girls). If they're in a proper pursuit car (Volvo T5, Skoda Octavia, Mondeo ST220, etc) they'll be sh*t hot.

17. phulla Forum Member

I think if you have the right attitude towards driving there shouldn't be a problem with the IAM test. A bonus is that you will save money, but the benefit of being a better driver outweighs the financial reasons, but i can understand where Jazzy is comming from, especially if you are young and have an already hefty insurance premium to cover, plus the cost of running the car (+ mods).

I have been toying with the idea for several years, but i just can't be arsed!

Maybe i should...
    Edited by: phulla

18. Dub20vt Forum Member

how do we find out where our nearest IAM group is??

19. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

20. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

If you stuff your car it could easilt cost 500 to repair... maybe you wouldn't have had to pay that 500 if you were a better driver...

Thats how i look at the expense!