Advanced driving courses...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Tubthumped, Oct 23, 2003.

1. ColinT Forum Member

Hi guys

Im passed the IAM test a few months ago.

Most of the 'high street' insurers will give you a discount but 'cause my cars are modified I can't get insurance from these guys.

My current insurer won't give me a discount.

2. jazzy16v New Member

ColinT - can you enlighten us about the course and the type of things it teaches... i know some (women especially) who drive around without the foggyest of what's going on around them, 1 girl i work with admitted she never looks around while she is driving until she has to stop at a junction or island, i have driven passed her, behind her, even in front of her and when i arrive at work and ask her if she saw me, she says no!

3. ColinT Forum Member

Hi guys

My wife applied to the IAM to get me 'associate' membership as a present. Cost about 75. Had intended to do it for years but never got round to it.

For your money you get as much tuition as you need for 12 months and it covers the test fee as well.

IAM pass your details to your nearest local group and whoever is in charge of that assigns you an 'observer'.

My observer contacted me to arrange a meet, asked me to drive for half an hour round narrow country roads and then into a built up area. Then gave an opinion on my driving.

After that we met weekly and practised everything he felt I needed to brush up on. Had about 6 or 7 'lessons'.

What do they teach? If you're a good driver then very little.

Very fussy about observation. Has improved mine greatly. Other than that it's mainly mirror, signal manouver (spelling?), feeding the steering wheel etc. Nothing you didn't know you should be doing anyway.

I enjoyed it but I can see why so many people find it boring and give up. They simply teach good driving, not how to drift round a roundabout (pity).

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Do they teach how to crash impressively?

5. ColinT Forum Member

Hi TheSecondComing

Who needs taught how to do that?

6. madmk4 Forum Member

Stunt drivers.