Alternative Fuels in Diesels

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Mike_H, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PeoplesCar Forum Member

That's a shame. You're local to me too aren't you? Sheffield?

Going somewhere nice for you hols mate? :-)

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah Work In Sheffield , Don Road

Touring Arround France with the Wife in the Campervan on Veg Oil & LPG :thumbup:

Don't think she would be impressed if i told her we were going to Wolfsburg on a De-Tour [8(]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. PeoplesCar Forum Member

Give her a few tequilas and she'll be none the wiser! lol

I've driven round France a few times. Once in an old ASTRA 1.7 TD then a few years later in a LEON Cupra 20VT, which was surprisingly eco on a good run. 42MPG.

I love how empty French roads are. Carcasonne is cool and anywhere along the Pyrenees.

I'll hopefully drop by and see you over next couple of months to check out your van :-)

Caddy is waiting at Gilders for some SAMCO hoses and other parts. Hoping to have her on the road over next few weeks.
    The plan is to make it to Ultimate Dubs in one piece :-)

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was only quoting your own number back at you... geek[:-B]

I haven't got an EGT gauge.... may invest in the future, but I was wondering if I could use my AFR gauge to diagnose how the car is running now, rather than for performance tuning.

5. Brookster

Yeah stick it in the tailpipe to tune it :thumbup:

6. Dubnutter Forum Member

This is a great thread. I like the idea of regular derv and LPG. I'm already getting 700 miles to a tank so if I could squeeze another few that would be fun, and more poke ;).

7. Brookster

One thing when running on Veg Oil is to Record the Amount you fill up with in a diary and the date and how many litres.;)

Just in case VOSA stop you and ask. :thumbup:

I've been stopped once and i also had the empty barrells of KTC in the back, the Police were more bothered about talking about Veedubs than the fuel though :lol:

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

So... good stuff so far. I didn't think we were going to be talking LPG on this thread, that's for sure.

On a different tack, there's a lot of argument on the TDI Club Forums about which vehicles are suitable for veg oil.

Some folk seem to argue that a TDI cylinder runs too hot for veg oil, and it will break down, leaving deposits on the injectors, and maybe sticky rings but earlier IDI and NA engines are thought to be OK.

On the other hand, Pascal77UK was using a veg oil mix in a newer car (B5 Audi A4) with no apparent problems.

Anyone have some impartial information on this? How much of a risk is it? I'm prepared to take a chance on having to rebuild the engine of a simple old 8v TDI once every few years. It's a 500 quid car, at the end of the day (OK so it owes me about a grand now...) I'd like to know how much risk I'm taking though, and that goes double for someone with a newer car, I guess.

Brookster's had his pump rebuilt for veg oil. (Any idea what's involved?)

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

So the heat exchanger ad on ebay has some interesting commentary related to running 100% veg oil, which is especially true if you don't use the kettle method ;)

Even allowing for an element of sales pitch, it makes interesting reading.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAT-EXCH...arParts_SM&hash=item3cc0ac4628#ht_1312wt_1314

10. Brookster

I've tried them all , Kettle included

Here's the link for Diesel Bob

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.aspx

They fit heavy duty internal seals in the injection pump when they rebuild it.

My Old injection Pump run on Veg Oil but i knew it would pack in at some point due to it having 100k on it.

So i had a Spare ready and a price from Diesel bob for the rebuild when it finally packed in, you can tell when the pump has gone when its takes about 30 seconds to fire up because it not pumping the fuel through.

I'd saved 2500 on my fuel bill by running on Veg Oil so i was prepared for and 250 rebuild [:D]

When you convert to veg oil i would recomend fitting new glow plugs too to help the starting.

i've done over 20k miles now on Veg oil and havn't filled the T4 up with Diesel for 3 years

11. Dubnutter Forum Member

I wonder if old engine oil filtered could be run on...

12. Brookster

Yes , been there, done that ;)

plus 2 stroke bike oil (PJ1) Smells lovely too

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

Well garages have to pay to have it removed.....;)

14. Dubnutter Forum Member

I assume it has to be dried, thinned and filtered to xxx micron?

15. Brookster

1 micron i filter to :thumbup:

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

I found an old post where TSC was saying he used to put his used engine oil back through his old merc. I expect newer stuff is a bit fussier.

17. Dubnutter Forum Member

It's not a bad idea if it's safe to run in, I can get an endless supply of it

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I guess you wouldn't want to run 100% of it... but maybe you could dilute it with diesel? Might not be the best fuel to try and pass an emissions test either.... and isn't old engine oil a bit acidic?

19. Dubnutter Forum Member

Yeah that's try, I think it would need to be treated with glycerin and heated to remove all water. Would still need a pump rebuild with new seals. Nice thought though.

20. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

My twin tank mk3 tdi is proving nice and reliable...I even mot'd the car on wvo last night and it passed the emissions fine after the residual soot was cleared from the exhaust system...

After reading diesel bobs thoughs, I'm leaving the switch over point until the heater matrix is supplying hot air into the car,this is roughly 3 miles of driving in recent temps....purge time at the and of the journey is 3miles or four minutes at idle

I am probably going to stay at a 10/90 diesel/wvo split in the main tank for the winter

Just to note, the wvo I get is 90%rapeseed and 10%veg oil