Alternatives to G60 steels

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Michael8v, Nov 30, 2008.

1. WillG

WillG Forum Member

there's a guy selling g60 steels without the black centres for 140 (plus p&p) on ebay atm

2. mookie Forum Member

If the seller is called Silverwagen, then that is actually a VW main dealer parts department :p It's where I got mine from - Barnsley way.

3. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

On the centre bore issue

*Disclaimer - Don't do this*

I ran renault fitment alloys on my 2042 16v - the centre bore was slightly too large, so I used to tighten the wheels bolts fully while the wheel was off the deck, the taper seat would pull the wheels central. Never caused me a problem with wheel shake/balance even on track at Mallory park.

When the car got written off (after I'd sold it) it took a hit hard enough to split the rim from the hub (snapped spokes) but the centre of the wheel was still central and square to the hub on the car.

Even with correct sized centre bore, there will be a small clearance between the bore and the hub - for the wheel to move enough to use the wheel hub as support for the inner bore that means the inner face of the wheel is sliding on the outer face of the hub, and the wheel bolts are deflecting. That would cause stress weakness in the bolts, as well as showing witness marks on the inside of the alloy wheel mounting face and on the hub mounting face (fretting). I've never seen evidence of either. The wheel mounting face is being clamped to the hub by some considerable pressure by the wheel bolts.

If your wheel bolts become *slightly* loose then you will get movement on the wheel, with the correct centre bore this will be very slight but probably noticeable, with oversized centre bore you'll get far more movement.

</Dons Flame Suit>

4. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

BMW mini 15" wheels have a slightly smaller centre bore (56.1mm) so you can get them machined out to fit perfect

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

yes my ABF'ed passat has indeed got 5-stud "g60" steelies:

[​IMG]

The donor car was a 1995 Passat GL 2.0 16v ABF. Its a weird car, it has a passat VR6 subframe with two "cylinder" engine mount towers, 5-stud hubs etc.

Turbotommy helped me get the engine out the donor car and we had a discussion about the wheels whilst standing in the rain :lol:

15x6, ET35, 5x100.

Wishbone takes the VR6 style slanted ball joint, but uses the early style drop links for the ARB, and they came with 288mm front brakes with ATE calipers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can get more pics/measurements/part numbers off mine if needed :)

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmmmmmm!!! very interesting. looks like we have a contender for factory wide track on a mk2, 5 stud but you can keep your eibach anti roll bars (or whatever uprated ones you have)

v, v interessant :thumbup:

If you could compare the passat bones to a mk2 set that would be handy, but i dont suppose you fany whipping em off just for me eh. And the wishbones too :lol:

7. lufbramatt Forum Member

i havent got a set of mk2 wishbones handy nut next time i have the wheels off (wont be long cos my front tyres have taken a caining from all the ABF fury being unleashed through them :lol:) ill knock up a technical drawing with distances between all the important bits on.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Spot on, cheers!

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've had Passat wishbones on mine for what, 3 yrs now? :thumbup:

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So there is only one Passat wishbone & ....

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

4 stud tho

12. lufbramatt Forum Member

no theres two types of passat wishbone- my original 4-stud ones are different to the 5-stud ones in the pics i put up- the bolt spacing for the ball joints is different.

ill get a pic of a 4 stud one next time im over at my lock up.