Any 1.8t experts in the Reading / Maidenhead area?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Noo Noo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

So looks like the plugs played a big part when on high load. :thumbup: And possibly still some leaks

27psi? Sounds high. But good progress.

As toyo says. More mapping needed. Then sort warmup so you you can start and drive away nicely.

More logs and adjustment if you're able.

2. Noo Noo Forum Member

I'm learning Toyo. I understand the basic fueling side but I'm not up to speed when it comes to varying the timing and obviously the cold side of things.

Well the boost is set to flat out so it's probably time to reel that in a little.

I'll get some more logs this evening where I should be able to open the throttle a bit.

3. Noo Noo Forum Member

Righto, as promised here's some more data logs. Apologies I've got a few of them.

Firstly we have a cold idle, shortly after starting it up this morning
    [​IMG]

Followed by another idle plot but now the engines much warmer. AFR's are higher as expected but a lot steadier as well
    [​IMG]

Here's another with some simple pulling away / general pottering in traffic. Note how it goes lean, slight misfire here but the odd bit is that the load and speed site don't change as the AFR's start to return to normal. Throttle position changes less air in and engine speed obviously.
    [​IMG]

and another
    [​IMG]

Right now for some juice.

here's another example of that odd thing where it goes lean again. Engine's much warmer this time.
    [​IMG]

Finally, I gave it some welly. Far more than I've been able o before changing the plugs. Sadly I had to come off the throttle a bit as I was quite honestly beginning to cack myself on a wet road. This was in third gear. No misfires (none that I could feel anyway) but it did go a little rough at the top where you can see the injection duration flutter. I recorded 30psi on the boost gauge too! :o
    [​IMG]

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I wondering if your first job is to knock the boost back to an acceptable level before going any further. It does seem to lean off as boost comes in, but there isn't a log showing boost, so can't tell. You also reduced throttle at that point, really need foot to the floor in last run.

It also seems to go rich at top end too but again, because you lifted, it could be a factor.

Is there a way of logging actual boost/map? Maybe reduce duty on boost and see what happens 30psi seems a bit much to start with. Maybe start with 0% or turn boost control off. Maybe work off actuator only. It may be easier to read and not so distracting.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. Noo Noo Forum Member

Agreed and I've knocked the boost back a bit already. I'm gonna try and get some screen shots of the boost pages in the map so people can see it.

It does go a little lean with AFR's peaking at 15 but it then goes rich as I've been playing with that end of the map. I need to bring that back again.

|With regard to logging te boost I'm sure it can be done as there's a load of aux. outputs you can choose from but How I've no idea. They run a seperate vacuum hose off when it's on the rolling road which is then obviously linked into their computer etc.

My other concern is how it goes lean but then seems to recover. A bit weird but I might try and hold it on a hill and see whathe map is doing there.

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thing is, by not keeping throttle consistantly open and varying it, you are putting the map in different areas on the load sites it seems. These will have different fuel requirements depending on desired AFR/lambda. It is harder to track where you are on the map.

Thats why WOT runs are done. You need to keep some variables fixed to enable you work out what is needed. Or you can use brakes and vary the throttle to change the load which is harder to do. Doing short runs through the gears with various throttle positions wont help you much as theres too much going on.

This is where the dyno comes in useful.

You say it goes lean, then goes rich. This is probably due to where there is more airflow than your original map had allowed for regarding fuel. More air needs more fuel to maintain correct AFR. Also it seems to show where your turbo is most efficient in low to midrange as it starts to get leaner as boost increases. Then starts to get richer as boost reduces, due to a reduction in compressor effieciency.

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Been looking up on your emerald and i can see you have tps vs rpm as in alpha n mode IIRC.

Like this.

[​IMG]

So it should be easy to see where to increase fuel using load and speed sites on the datalog. You may have an AFR target map also.

This site might help you

I'm wondering if there is any way that the ECU compensates for boost? TPS v rpm doesn't take this into account. Surely you wouldn't need different maps for each boost setting?

8. Noo Noo Forum Member

Cheers for that.

I agree a dyno is needed but as said I want to be 100% sure that I've got everything perfect bar the mapping. I'm just not 100% sue if what I'm seeing is expected even if the map is out (if that makes sense)

I've been adjusting fueling on both the live mapping and the injection table you've shown above. It's almost impossible to hold it dead on a load and speed site while on the road and obviously a lot of interpolation is needed

That site looks very useful indeed and gives me some hope. I was aware that Emerald has adaptive mapping and I have been looking on how to switch it on. There's no real clues or a big switch for it so I've left it alone. That website however seems to cover it. I'll give that a go a little later I think. (with less boost obviously)

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The ecu should interpolate between the sites anyway. And you can do a calculation to work out the number thats needed using data in the datalog.

New Map number = (Actual AFR / Required AFR)* (Map Number in corresponding load/speed site)

A rough example. Put whatever figures you require. It should work better than guessing.;)

eg. (15AFR /12.5AFR)* (100) Assuming 100 is in the corresonding load/speed site.
    (1.2)* (100) = 120

Which is basically a 20% increase to get you close to what you need.

Might be worth reading the manual to find your way around the software.

10. Noo Noo Forum Member

Not a huge amount to report apart from the fact that the links you've put in above Tshirt have gone fo some reason. They no longer work which is a touch frustrating.

Other than that I've been trying to get the adaptive mapping started which is proving difficult. Set everything as far as I know for it to happen and it wont switch over from Open Loop on the Lambda. The fuel cut off has been disabled as this prevents Closed Loop operation. Other than that I'm scratching my head again and getting screen shots has also proved alusive.

Try again this evening and hopefully i'll have some luck

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Have you got the manual? Should be available on emerald site

Managed to get this for ya!

No pictures, but there is a cached page on google.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c.../map.html+emerald+mapping&safe=active&ct=clnk

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  12. Noo Noo Forum Member

Cheers. Yeah I've got the manual. The big issue I suppose is how generic it is. basically use it on any car and the manual gives no clues for this particular application. I'll get there though. I do wish there was something to say or some clues as to why it won't switch over. I'll try again in a minute after that I'll have to check the wideband is reporting back ok. I think it is as I'be obviously got AFR readings on both the gauage and on the live ECU screen.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Don't think application matters much. Software will do what it's told to do.

Found another bit of info that may help.

You may also have to put figures in the AFR map so the ecu knows what AFR it should be targeting.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  14. Noo Noo Forum Member

Cheers again, I've done all of that I think. I also have a table full of Target AFR's as well.

Anyway it's lucky there's a swear filter on here. Last night was not so good. :cry:

Home is North Wales but work is Reading / Maidenhead. Last night I was on my way home and took the opportunity to see if I could either get the map to switch to Closed Loop or at least try and smooth the map out. The motorway would be a good chance I thought. Traffic was mental with a 10mile queue on the M40 up towards Warwick. I couldn't get the map to switch so decided to try and lean out the LPG map a little. Rather than adjust all the load / speed sites I knocked the injector scaling back 1%. It seemed ok but then got a rough as I stood in traffic. I pulled into Warwick services to refuel and the $&% thing wouldn't restart. [:x] I eventually got it going but it's dog rough and running super rich. Anyway I managed to limp home by using LPG on one of the petrol maps but it was truly gutless and very lumpy. On petrol it was a lot worse and grossly over fueling. :(

This morning I've had it up on the jack thinking I had a major boost leak or a pipe had fallen of again. Nope all there, no problems.
    Pressure test revealed a leak but I sorted that and it made no difference.
    I reloaded the original maps. No joy.
    Plugs were obviously badly fouled.

I can only think that the crank sensor has gone or heaven forbid the MAP sensor unless someone has any other suggestions. [8(]

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

How's this getting on?

16. Noo Noo Forum Member

Funny enough I was just going to update things.

I think I'm getting a lot closer now but there's still a few issues to sort.

I've got it running quite well at the moment, when warm. I've got the adaptive mapping going and that seems to have smoothed out a bump or two in the map.

It still seems rich to me at idle though even though the adaptive map is switched on at that point. The idle control seems to take over and do what ever it does. I've just tried to lean out the idle a bit and that has helped a little bit. When cold it used to run very rich (AFR less than 10) and stank of petrol and would cut out once or twice. Hopefully what I've just done will have helped.

I'm trying to experiment with plugs as it seems to have a pretty big effect on how things go. The BKR7E's I had in before were OK so I'm just trying BKR7E-IX. Oddly when cold the engine doesn't like it. OK when warm. I'm now hoping that leaning out the map at idle and low revs might help but I'm not sure.

I've got to do some reading on plugs. I think I might need plugs that have a temperature between Bosch 7's and NGk 7's or perhaps I need to be looking at the gaps a bit more.

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The only difference between the plugs is how long they last between changes. Focus on fuelling at idle. Does it run a cat? Do you have to pass the stricter mot levels? You may find retarding spark at idle will help this too.

The ECU may even be trying to adjust to a set AFR in the tables, making it hunt. You have to look at lots of things that could affect it. But you have to get the idle right when warm before trying to sort cold idle. Maybe switch wideband off and try open loop to get it where you want as you can have settings fighting against each other.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  18. Noo Noo Forum Member

No CAT as it's pre 1993 :)

that's what I thought on the plugs too but it wasn't very happy at all this morning. We'll see again tomorrow.

I'll double check but I couldn't see any AFR corrections to the fueling at idle produced by the ECU even though it is running rich. I only switched on the Adaptive mapping at low revs this morning to see if the ECU could sort it itself. It was running Open Loop previously up to 2000 revs. It hasn't done anything. The target AFR at low revs is 14.2 (as given to me by Emerald) and was running far richer than that, around 11ish. I've managed to lean out the fuel at idle so it's now at 12.5 -13 ish maybe a bit more than that. It's not 100% smooth there though and it is idling a little too fast.

Previously when cold AFR's were 10 and lower and it stank. The ECU delivers more fuel until temperatures rise a bit. No surprise there but I don't know how much extra it should get, I'm relying on the original ECU set up.

From memory at idle the IGNITION map is set to 0 but I also noticed that ignition on the Idle tab is set to 25 deg. I've also been trying to figure out how to add an extra speed site or close the gaps between the speed sites. They sit at 500rpm steps at the moment and I'd like to set them to 250 at low revs.

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

A lot is in the manual. Are you using the live adjustment page to look at your readings?

It should give you an idea of what the maps and trims are doing. You should be able to see what fuel map numbers and ignition advance you are getting whilst idling.

20. Noo Noo Forum Member

I'll get a photo or two of the Live adjustment screen on a warm idle.

I've been using that and the the actual injection map, ignition map and idle control tabs.