Any 1.8t experts in the Reading / Maidenhead area?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Noo Noo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What temperature is engine running rich when cold?

[​IMG]

It seems the warm up is on this page. Reduce the numbers in the -10, 0, 10 boxes for coolant temps and see how you go.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. Noo Noo Forum Member

hello All

I'm back and still struggling sadly. Having my laptop nicked due to a burglary hasn't helped either so I haven't been able to do much. With luck this weekend I'll be ableto look over it again. I'm still getting the odd misfire here and there and it's not happy under high boost with the Bkr7EIX plugs. I'll pull them and have a look at those this weekend I hope. It starts ok most of the time, even on these cold mornings but as said earlier it's very rich and it will bog down again when pulling away.

3. Noo Noo Forum Member

I'd like to resurect this thread if I can as I'm still having issues.

That burglary screwed me up a bit but I shoul dbe able to get back to the ECu with it soon enough.

Firstly I managed to get it running okish. It would still bog down at low revs when pulling away and idle was crap. It would also miss under boost but if you were careful on the throttle it would take off without any issues at all. It also developed a nasty little missfire last week but only when warm.

I've just changed the injectors to 415cc green giants (440cc previously) and that has made a difference to the bogging down for sure. Obviosuly the map is out a bit which I need to get back to.

Idle has now gone weird. It wont idle when cold. After a short moment it will start to idle but struggles and the AFR's are very lean. Like it's missing. It will then flip to rich. When warm it idles at 1500 revs (too fast) but it is very smooth. I have a crew fitted to the throttle body but that's wound right out now. Fueling is rich and the brief moment I had to look at the fuel trim made very little difference at all. In fact the fuel trim at that part of the map is very low. Too low in reality. I've also noticed that it warms up far quicker than it used to.

With luck I shopuld be able to get back at it. New laptop on the way to look at the fueling properly. I suspect I have a boost leak at the inlet manifold, I'll recalibrate the throtle on the ECU and I'll also give it new plugs. I may also look at a new temp. sender as well.

As always suggestions are welcome and I'll try to keep this updated with progress.

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Maybe you should put the standard injectors in. Not sure the Bosch greens have the best spray pattern for a multivalve engine. This could be part if your problem as you can't seem to calibrate the richness out. I assumed you have a stick 1.8t and are just running it on a SEM.

You seem to be swapping thing around to try to improve things without addressing the real map issues.

I can't see how the plugs are going to cause a problem if they are gapped correctly.

Unless you keep things constant like plugs and injectors etc and make sure there are no leaks, You'll never get it right and will be chasing your tail as it seems you are at the moment.

5. Noo Noo Forum Member

Hello again

it's a long way from stock which is part of the frustrations; no diagnostics :(. It's an AGU with K04 turbo, bigger injectors and everything is stripped to the bare minimum. Very simple breather system and none of this ignition control, brake booster, blah blah blah. It's pretty much as bare as a 20v can get I think. It's been a damn pig to get a decent boost leak test on it though. Cross fingers I've got a new silicone piece arriving in the next day or so. It should help.

The previous injectors were certainly an issue. I can hear the difference at idle for sure. I'm not 100% convinced it was a map issue previously now. At idle I reckon there was an injector not firing (not for the first time by the way) which left me with a smelly exhaust as there was unburnt petrol in there. It idled ok on lpg which uses different injectors but that only cuts in when warm. I leaned out the cold start and that didn't help so ruled that out.

Right now I want to rule out the obvious such as plugs and really nail down on possible boost leaks before I hit the map again. The new injectors are definitely a step forward and hopefully I can get a rough map onto it when the new laptop arrives. The girlfriends laptop only has a battery life of about 20 minutes which just hasn't helped.

The idle's a bit weird though. I'm trying to figure out why it wants to idle at 1500 revs. I can only think the throttle calibration is out at the moment. It idles the same on both gas and petrol so it must be the ECU is telling it to do that.

6. Noo Noo Forum Member

Quick question please.

Can I delete the PSV valve that's located in the T piece that comes off the crank case breather on top of the oil filter housing? I'm thinking of blanking off the T piece and the connection under the inlet manifold. I'll run the remainder of the breather up from the T-piece collect the breather on the rocker cover and ultimately into a catch tank. I'll just let it breathe to atmosphere until I've got it all working properly.

I'm just trying to eliminate all potential sources of boost leaks at the moment. Getting there I think........

7. Noo Noo Forum Member

Some progress.

The new injectors have made a difference. Everything is a lot smoother, and throttle reponse is as it should be. Overall it's running a little rich which I'm dealing with slowly and surely. I also need to tackle the idle, again that's a balancing act I need to tweak between the ECU and throttle body.

I still have an odd misfire just as the boost kicks in. It only happens when it's the engines running at temperature. Wondering if that could be a coil pack misbehaving?

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

plug gaps?

9. Noo Noo Forum Member

Possible I guess but the plugs are brand new. They're also a colder plug than they really should be so it's that.

At the moment I can only think that I've got

a) yet another sneaky boost leak somewhere;
    b) Coil pack or lead,
    c) weak electical feed to one of the coil packs.

10. Noo Noo Forum Member

Right further update.

Proper boost leak test at last and found that the new injectors aren't sealing at all. Very very annoyed and frustrated. Am I missinng something stupid here as I cant get the Genesis 415cc injectors to seal at all? They're very wobbly in the insert until the fuel rail is bolted down.

No point in looking at anything else until I resolve this. I've put the old injectors back in for now.