anybody with this alarm

Discussion in 'Security' started by ickle, May 1, 2004.

1. ickle Forum Member

[​IMG]

want to help a fellow dubber out ??

i have recently got a 97 (R) cabriolet and it had this alarm fitted which seems to be standard but i have no idea how it works and there are no instructions .

anybody be able to help me out

cheers stuarty

2. Studweiser Forum Member

it's scorpion.

3. ickle Forum Member

kewl getting closer . cheers

stuarty

4. Galileo Forum Member

Good grief, just what I've been trying to find out as well! Only got the one fob with the car, and it's flaky as hell, every now and again usually when its pi$$ing down it refuses to let me in or lock, light comes on but nothing happens. Learnt by accident that if you take the battery out for about 2-5 minutes it will work again.

Now all we need is the model and then it might be on the manual page at http://www.scorpionalarms.com/downloads.asp

Still looking for a replacement fob and stumbled on a universal replacement, not sure if it will work yet but here's the link if it helps anyone else: http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/key-fobs.htm

5. Galileo Forum Member

Think I might have just answered my own question. After a bit of Google searching it would seem that the most likely candidate is the Scorpion 5000, with a possible on Scorpion 918 but then apparently VW sometimes fitted Quantum Alarms but they are rebadged Scorpion alarms anyway.

Think I've just posed more questions...head hurts...going back to sleep now... ;)

6. ickle Forum Member

k thanks guys this is getting real close now ..

i am the same i have no instructions . but i have found out that if you slide the button on the side down then it turns of the ultrasonics which is handy for arming with the roof down .

stuarty

7. Pete Forum Member

Yep, most likely a Scorpion 5000 series. The fob looks very similar to my old alarm which was also a Scorpion 5000 on a 96' Golf.

They seem to be the standard VW fit.

8. hughparker10 New Member

This alarm is a Scorpion 918 according to expert sources, since Scorpion went bust inNovember 04, the spare modules and key fobsare now even harder to get. If anyone has programming details these would help me as my module(contol box) has fallen over and I now have no security although a corrupted module and working key fobs. The normally worn out left button is for arming/disarming(obviously I know), right one is a panic button and yes the slider switch on the side is for the Ultrasonics, hope this helps people,

Hugh, 96 Hardtop GTI 8v

9. nez1978 Forum Member

what if i've bought a car (as a non-runner obviously) and it has a scorpion alarm on it. I trust you can buy fobs and then have them reprogrammed??

10. El Tel49 New Member

Nottingham The Worlds Best City... England U.K.
    Hi...

I've moved this topic to http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48667

Pull up a chair this could take a while to sort out? ;) as car's are not my "forty"

If this need's moving to a new topic can a Mod do this or inform me and I'll copy and paste it somewhere else.

" Has the Scorpion 5000 series got some kind of re-set delay? or the GTI itself " ie: once youv'e stopped it, do you have to wait for it to time out before you can restart it??? This would be a bummer if you stalled it at traffic light's???

I've just inherit'd WW Golf GTI 16V 2lr L Reg 1994 full electric's, tracking system fitted and air conditioning... It has been off the road for 1yr, battery U.S. ( As I expected ) so a New Battery was my first job, then an MOT, insurance and TAX.

The prevoius owner neglected to tell me about the alarm, apart from what the buttons do and the slide switch on the side as explain'd above, as it was fitted when new and he had no instruction nor hand book for the GTI either? [:^(]

I've drove the car some 25 miles home to Long Eaton, by the way mice had eaten through 6 cables under the bonnet, but this didn't stop the car from being jump started ( with a 1/4 tank of petrol a 1yr old ), on the third atempt. "I was well impressed as at this point the chewed cables were not noticed" A quick clean of the windows and I'm off driving home slowly at first testing the breaks etc, then opened it up down some country lanes. "Boy; was I impressed with the speed"

Once home, I new it wouldn't restart because of the battery, switch the engine off and got the jump lead's out and connected them to a running engine...

On stopping the GTI and getting out. I was unaware I had activated the alarm / imobilizer? Until I opened the door again and all hell let loose; siren, light flashing. Pressing the left fob button did silence it but what else it did I do not know, apart from, locking the door's and closing the opened driver's window. "Cool I thought" Pressed the left button again and the door's unlock and all the window's opened too. This worried me and couldn't think why this should be? I found two button's on the dash board which closed the rear windows. I then tried to start the car. It ran for approx' 10 sec' then stopped and refused to even attempt to start. I assumed I had activated the imobilizer and tried all kind of, opening and closing the driver's door with the key and fob, activating the alarm on and off. I lost track of what I atempted... All to no avail. The dam car won't start. On leaving the car for a couple of hr's. Bless me it started first attempt but only ran for 40 sec' and died quickly; and again refused to start not even a splutter. I was [:x] and left the car for the rest of that day to have a think. Just before I went home I tried the car again and it sarted the first time and ran for 10 sec'.

Next morning I fitted a new battery, with a 5A charger connected across the terminal's, so as not to loose the radio code when the battery was removed as the prevoius owner couldn't find the code.

As I found out, the alarm + cable was not fitted to any of the spare fixing on the battery + terminal, but to the post itself and hence the dam alarm went off again and this time the left fob would not silence the alarm at all... In front of me was the alarm unit itself and I pull the plug out from the top, but the alarm still carried on from within the car, plus I've still got the charger connected too. At the expence of the radio the only way I could shut the noise up was to dissconnect the charger and some 30sec' L8ER there was quite.

At this point I connected the alarm + to one of the spare tapped holes and repaired all the chewed cables. Fitted the new battery and has I expected the alarm went off, but had the fob to hand to silence it. I left the new battery on charge for a couple of hr's, before I attempted to start the engine; and yes the car started on the first attempt, I left it ticking over for 10min's and with the odd rev' to 3000 RPM, thought all was well. I switched of the engine, had a coffee, then thought I would take it the local garage for a MOT... Would it start would it hell as like not even a splutter like before? [:^(] I've even added 3 gallons of new unleaded petrol to the tank, thinking the gauge could be wrong?

I'm scratching my head by now? and time is running out for the day and decided to leave it...

This morning I tried again, and again it started on the first atempt, no throttle as before, so as not to flood it. It ran for 20 min's with several good rev's to 3000+ RPM all from under the bonnet as I didn't wont / or know if by opening the driver's door with the engine running; would I activate the alarm / imobilizer while I was warming it up. I switched the engine off, made plan's to get it MOT'd but 10 min's L8ER it refuses to restart.

Can anybody throw some light on this dilemma?

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  11. gtimike Forum Member

if i were you i`d contact paul (studweiser) and get him to have a look over it .
    I`m pretty sure from all the good things i`ve heard about his work that this wouldn`t take him long to get to the bottom of

12. Raidfire In Delete Queue

Think I can finally put this one to bed, With a slightly technical explanation.

I havethe screwed keyfob problem too on my M reg 94 Golf TDI, it opens and disarm some of the time but frequently leaves me lookin stupid pressing buttons with nothing happening.

I've just got off of the phone to the bloke who used to recode all the keyfobs for scorpion, he now works for the company that took on scorpions business interests.

The chips on the remote are no longer made (they became obsolete in '99) so they cant produce any more remotes.

The actual model number can be confirmed as a 918 vw part number 998 vag 153.

I have tried finding fobs via scrappers, but they never seem to keep anything like that.

The ideal solution would be to find a scrap car with keyfobs and a controller to avoid reprogramming although the bloke from scorpion did say that if these units (main controller)are left without power for >1year they could be left completely dead.

If any of you find any 2nd hand remotes for yourselves the new company seem happy to recode them for you but you will also need to send the controller therefore immobilising the car until it's return.

Can't remember their name but the new companies number is 01257 249928.

Oh and VW dealers always ordered new remotes as needed and never kept stocks. This was due to the fact the controller need to be sent to scorpion for the recode.

It's not a good conclusion really, as the system and it's parts are all obsolete and even if you fix this what's to say something else wont screw up with it later, it's probably a lot less stressfull paying 175 for a VW fitted cobra system,think thats what i'll do.

I can supply high res pics of how to disable this system both alarm and immobiliser, shows which wires to cut and what to do with them, cost me 30 but anyone who can cut wires and use tape could do this in 30 secs. This leaves the car drivable but with no protection (the car could be hot wired), but all central locking and electric window systems are unaffected.

And finally as a TDI driver with moded fuel chip, bosch 0.205 injectors, intercooler mist systemand sachs cluch, i'd love to give youGTI boys a run for yer money.

Jay

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

so thats what the slider is for? not that its much use when the alarm closes the windows and roof!

both my vr6, and a friends driver have this alarm....though hers doesn't lock the doors. i guess i'd best look after both my remotes then?!

oh, if anyone has a prob arming or unarming (the alarm range seems very effected by outside influences such as phone masts) try pressing it against your head ;)

14. El Tel49 New Member

Nottingham The Worlds Best City... England U.K.
    Ay up Midduk’s…

GTI Mike I can now restart my GTI without having to leave it overnight.

After various lengths of time with the engine running, I have found out by trail and error after pressing the left fob button getting in and starting a warm engine for the second time ie: not touching the throttle as before. The engine will start now first time, but I must wait until I hear three beeps from the internal part of the alarm, once these are heard I can drive the car?

I’m not sure, as they are no mention of this in some instruction’s I’ve found off the Internet; but it’s the only way I can manage to drive it.

Ho it passed it M.O.T. no problem.

Regards El Tel

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  15. jimblob New Member

I got my vag 998 / scorpion 918 alarm working again!

Hi I had a similar problem on my mk3 cabriolet, the battery went flat and after jump starting the alarm no longer worked with the key fobs.[:^(]

I rang scorpion who said it was caused by the sparking whilst jump starting which had upset the alarm and I could send it to them with 35 to re-program it.[:x]

So I took the glove box out and pulled out the box, but once I had disconnected and reconnected the plugs a few times it started working fine again!:o

It all works ok now just like it used to! So before you part with any money give it a few plug ins and outs to see if it will fix itself.:clap:

Cheers Jimbob.:p

16. Mikeyvr6 New Member

Hi Mate

Gonna need to rip my alarm out scorpion 918 good old alarms lol!!

Could you Mail me the pics of how to remove as need to get car started

Thanks would really apreciate it

Mike

17. Mikeyvr6 New Member

18. mcapachey New Member

I can supply high res pics of how to disable this system both alarm and immobiliser,

Hello Jay,

Can you please send me some pics of which wires to cut, please.

I have lost the fobs for my 998 Vag 155 alarm.

Regards,
    Mark...MOB 07947 65 75 42