Are 5dr still less desirable?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by coullstar, Jun 28, 2010.

1. coullstar Forum Member

Was looking at some cheaper Mk2's and a smart 5dr red 8v has popped up. I quite like it but it wont be a keeper so Im thinking about how easily it would be when I come to sell.

Are 5drs still considered "family option" or is it down to condition these days?

2. mboon New Member

When I was looking for the Mrs, she would only have a three door, so on that bases I would say yes, I prefer the three door as well myself.

3. emery1990 Forum Member

Some people arnt bothered but i think quite a lot of people would want a 3 door, if its cheap get it though.

I personally would only get a 3 door. and i think that id rather have a newer safer car if i had a family.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

tbh i wouldnt worry about resale.

if the 5dr is less desirable, you buy it for less. if its harder to sell, you sell it for less. but really its down to what you want and need, not what a bunch of other guys prefer on a forum!

personally i wouldnt consider a 5dr, just somethign not right about it but i dont have kids etc

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

5dr and 8v......

Simply put (for most)...

3dr IS desireable over 5dr.
    16v IS desirable over 8v.

so a 5dr 8v is not desirable, and tornado pink, sorry I mean red is not the most disirable colour either.

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

When it comes to a MK2, three door examples are always going to be more desirable. To me, a 5dr MK2 just looks wrong, but thats my opinion.

Every Mk2 ive owned has been a 3dr. But as Matt said above , its down to what you want and need it for really. If its a project, get a 3dr. If its a family runabout, get the 5dr :thumbup:

My daily MK4 1.8T is a 5 door though, but i think newer cars can get away with it tbh! Plus its practicle for daily use...

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

5dr's are absolutely terrible.

8. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

:lol:

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

It doesn't bother me if it's a 3 or 5 door 8 or 16v, I've had both. It's getting harder to find decent mk2 now.

10. coullstar Forum Member

Dont mince your words Andy. Have to admit I dont mind them but would prefer a 3dr. Its also a big bumper one and was looking for a small bumper.

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i have allways had 3 door mk2's but if a good clean 5 door came up
    the 5 door thing wouldent put me off

good rust free mk2 are getting hard to find in our neck of the woods

it may not be the most desirable mk2 in the world ie (5door red 8v) but if it is as clean as it looks
    it will be worth every penny
    even if you punt it after a year and lose a bit on it
    it's not going to be that much

if i had the spare cash i'd have it;)

i think i would try and get it for a bit less

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  12. smp1987 Forum Member

5doors are ok i looked at a few there practical if you are carrying passengers if you have kids if a nice 5dr mk2 came up and it was rot free and clean and tidy i would snap it up if i was looking

its up to you at the end of the day you should have no problem selling a clean mk2 these days

13. dubster75 Forum Member

nothing wrong with an 8v 5dr!

here's mine

[​IMG]

14. nealey Forum Junkie

As much as i prefer a 3 door i buy on the condition of the body every time!

15. daveangel Forum Member

I prefer 3 door myself. I was lucky when mine came up as i'd just sold on my car and i had the money. But i would have waited months to get a 3 door in the right condition at the right price.

16. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

no matter how many 3 door/5 door debates come up on here the answer will always be the same that the 3 door is the more liked and sought after mk2, probably due to it looking sleeker and looking less busy along the side view giving a more coupe look. THE END.

17. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

I'm going to be contravsial here and say non of the above, my vote is for the 4 door.... which was the global preferance over any of the hatches.

18. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

That's a Jetta then?;)

I want to be even more contraversial. I say 2 doors. OOPS, sorry, we weren't permitted 2 door Jetta GTIs, or 2 door Audi 80 GTEs. It'd be a 2 door 80 GTE Quattro for me every time. But I would also want to have my 1986/87 2 door EV as well.:thumbup:

I have never bought a car because of its re-sale value. I get pi55ed off when the spiv. on tv or in the mags. tells me I should buy the version with: leather,and air-con, and electric this, and electric that, and a Bose Hi-Fi system, only because it will have a higher re-sale value![xx(]

If you want a GTI, for the joy of owning a GTI, then buy a GTI! 3 door or 5 door? It does not really matter. They are both great cars!:clap:

It took me 20 years to find the perfect EV for me. But, I was still driving my 1987 PB while searching, even though I had the 90 20v Q.

I once bought a Daf 55 Marathon, because I wanted it. It had no re-sale value at all, as both front doors had been smashed forward when it had rolled backwards into a car port, with the doors open. It was a grand fun car. I wish I still had it![:^(]

19. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Actually I find the spec of the car make s*d all differance to it resale value.. options add peantus when they are second hand, if I can find one with all the toys i will generally buy it, so why do I have the most basic 3 door GTi mk2???? the most imprtant part is in perfect order.. the shell!!! everything else is easily repalceble or upgraded from your local scrap yard. although the only thing I will probbably do to mine is fit central locking

20. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I prefer 3 doors but currently own a 5 door. Cost me 116 so no complaints here.