Are 5dr still less desirable?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by coullstar, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it was for a road car, I'd be more interested in condition than No. of doors. For a big power conversion, or for a track toy I'd go 3 door every time.

Opening rear windows are good for ventilation too.

2. coullstar Forum Member

All valid points. It doesnt make any difference to me TBH and I think it is more leaning towards condition rather than door count. It would just be a little fun road car that I can use couple of days a week. Ive got the Corrado for ultimate fun but you need to be in the mood and its useless in traffic, the Mk4 is for boring/towing duties.

TBH its more about nostalga as its been about 8 years since I last drove a Mk2!! Better have a shot of one I suppose.

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Yes condition is everything here, toys, doors, age and millage are really non issues. Ignore the older cars at your peril, as it does seem they are less prone to rusting, strange but it seems to be true. I have picked up an '85 3 door 8v GTI, it's reading 127K miles but the odometer is broken so the true millage is anyones guess. But there is no rot anywhere on it and it seems not alone in this, by that I mean non.. zero... zilch it will need the odd bush and the brake lines do need repacing engine needs tidying up (not really an issue, I just like clean engines) . But it's a resto project bought at resto project prices but its needing very little work really.

4. g_singh Forum Member

5 doors are less desireable and cheaper then 3 doors. but if it doesnt bother you, go on the condition of the car more then anything.

i have a 5 door mk2 which i bought out of preference due it being more practical with a family, it now has an abf lump and is lowered on some nice wheels etc and it still turns heads and is damn quick.

5. fishnchipsx2 Forum Member

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've seen plenty of rust buckets that age too - including FSH 2 owner cars. It really depends on how it's been looked after, and on whether it's had any big accidents in its life. If someone lives far from the sea, garages the car every night, and washes it regularly, that's the best chance you've got of a good one. Age is less of a factor once a car is over 20 years old.

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Mostly my point really, don't ignore old examples.. although they might not be the latest spec, its not that hard to upgrade them!.. condition isn't everything, its the only thing!

8. chrisbex123 Forum Member

I prefer a 3 door but have been tempted to the dark side of more doors recently after watching the progression of a chap called adihodgson on "newport edition" who's 5 door on design 90's really does it for me. ABF'd now aswell.
    It's quite timeless in my eyes for some reason. just my thoughts.
    The prices do make me think twice as 5 doors do seem to be a bit cheaper..
    I am driving the mrs more door L reg mk3 8 valve at the mo though....
    8 valve FTL:thumbup:

9. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

I am with Dubster on this, but each to their own. I would not want a 3 door, they look as if something is missing, ie 2 doors, just my humble opinion, which may be worth nothing much.

10. The db

The db Forum Junkie

A rot free shell is a bonus I'll admit. But the original question was regarding resale values and I think that its a well known fact that for the last couple of years that 3 doors have been fetching and asking for more money than 5 doors. Agree with it or not, its the way it is.

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

I'd say a rot free 5 door will have a higher resale value than a patched up 3 door any day! and I doubt many will try and argue against that one!

12. coullstar Forum Member

Again all valid. Thought about it a bit more and for the price Im looking at (around 1k-1300) its near on impossible to get a rust free Mk2 now. I dont want the hassle of body repairs, anything mechanical yes but no paint therefore I am going to leave it for now. I know deep down I really want a 3dr small bumper model anyway.

2 cars and 2 bikes to look after is enough at the moment!!!

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

I got one rust free and 3 door (85 with K-Jet) for less than 500! mind you it is a home for all the worlds lost dings and car park scrapes, but over time easilly sorted