Argh!! Someone hit my car!

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Ben S, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Going around the same roundabout that I have gone around most days for the last 4 years. A guy in the lane to go left or straight on decides he wants to go right and swipes into my lane. Hitting his wing onto both my front & rear passenger doors [:x]

He says it's 50-50 and didn't want to go through insurance but openly admitted that he didn't see me (chap is kinda late 50's, wears glasses [:-B] so has some sight issues).

Whats likely to happen? I have never had to deal with an insurance claim before. [8(]

Was too dark to tell what real damage was to mine other than that there is damage to the doors, was at low speed, but still one car driven into another will make a mess.

Makes you think.. what is the point of having a daily driver that you care about or that isn't an armoured troop carrier

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry to hear that Ben [8(]

I hope you can get it sorted back to how it looked before!

This is why i couldn't drive my MK2 as a daily anymore. Ive already had 2 written off due to other idiot drivers! :thumbd:

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

Sorry to hear Ben.
    Sounds like the guy was in the wrong, and if you go through insurance it won't affect your NCB.
    Only issue is whether your car is written off.
    Make sure you fully document everything including lane signage if you make a claim.
    All the best with it.

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Thanks guys,

I am waiting for call back from insurance... time will probably go very slow while waiting.
    Will post when I hear anything

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

All the best with getting it sorted mate! :thumbup:

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Am a bit baffled at the moment, I have driven for 10 years without any incident, and 9.5 years of that has been in the same Mk2. I know accidents happen but I thought I had got this far, why now?

Hope Toyotec has the doors left off his breaker Mk2...

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Sounds like basildon roundabout behavior tbh

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you took some pics!

9. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Was too dark for camera phone. Basically his front wing is trashed and I have a scrape / dented line from pretty much entire passenger rear door all the way to front passenger door where his car hit then scraped along

10. nealey Forum Junkie

Insurance company will definitely write it off, if you are not bothered about it being Cat c on the v5 then just buy it back and repair it yourself

11. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

Ben, if you want text me your reg no and a pic of the damage and i will try and get a quote from car sprayers, i can show them my car for scale, which roundabout was it? good luck with the claim:thumbup:

12. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Sorry to hear it, at least once a week I almost get rammed by some idiot in the left lane going straight across a roundabout.

Did you get any witnesses? If not then it'll probably go 50-50 and be a claim on your insurance anyway as you can't prove what you say or disprove what he will say (probably that you side swiped him...) [:x]

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Things like this is the reason why I have a 50 eBay in-car windscreen DVR that records every minute I spend on the road.

14. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

No witnesses but he actually admitted he didn't see me.

So he didn't see my headlights when I was behind him, the extra brightness of headlights when I was beside him, or when I pulled off the roundabout before him.

Danny, will get some pictures to you about lunch time. Damage isn't major, its just scarred the rear door & dented the front door. Or I could drive to your mates bodyshop if needed?

Trev do you think the video would help when impact is from the side? May invest in near future

15. Trev16v

The view angle on these things is extremely wide, but of course you'd need to mount additional ones to the side really to capture incidents like this. But I think at the very least a front one would perhaps prove that you're in the right lane (and you remained properly in lane).

16. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Unfortunately what he says at the scene isn't necessarily what he'll say on the claim form. [8(]

Did you ever do a thread on those dvr's Trev? Or have you got a link to ebay?

17. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Hopefully the fact that I was hit from the left, by somebody who was indicating left, while I was going right will be enough.

Both left from same entrance to the roundabout which is probably rare in roundabout accidents. Am sure most involve people who joined roundabout at different points

18. corradophil Forum Member

:( Were police called to the scene? Had he been drinking?

Get some photos up. Wing and doors all bolt on, so not a big problem. What are the gaps like between the damaged panels i.e. was it hard enough to do any further damage.

It 'might' be better to repair yourself if you'd prefer it not to be listed as an uneconomical repair. Do you have agreed value insurance? If not I'd imagine the value to be something like 500 and the repair with new VW parts will obviously exceed that - so straight away unconomical.

19. Trev16v

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

He could easily say he was going across, you were in the right lane and decided to go across into him etc.

That's the only problem with roundabouts and no witnesses, his insurance may advise him to go 50/50