Audi 80 TDI - UPDATE - Judder Ye Not!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Mike_H, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks... I'll hold off on the Bio till I've done a bit more research. There are a couple of 'proper' bio diesel outlets near me, but it's not worth sacrificing reliability for.

A mate of mine who used to make his own Bio Diesel reckons it would be OK to run a mix, or 100% bio in summer, if it's properly made and filtered stuff.

I've already got a couple of gallons of Synta Silver kicking around. That'll do for now!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. gtijames Forum Member

welcome to 80 tdi ownership and the low rev judder club!
    have a search on google for it, theres plenty of threads! try poping the fuse 12 for dash out and go for a drive :thumbup:

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

The No 12 fuse thing made no difference on mine. VAGCOM says it's the 3rd injector, and Aidan's sent me a spare one to try... hopefully that'll sort it out.

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

3rd injector a common one, it goes down the ECU is well comfussed
    it acts as input to know which section of the injection cycle it's in
    bit like a cam hall sender

5. TrackCab16v Forum Member

welcome to tdi club mike , luv mine seat cordoba estate alh engine code , 90 brake well was, now remapped, hotgolf vr6 lightened balanced clutch with matching towbar , its defo faster than my stock pd 130, even ticks over like its all camed up;),just a shame i use it for a van as it was a nice car

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm quite enjoying the different challenge of driving it smoothly... planning ahead to avoid having to slow down too much - wafting around in 5th gear wherever possible. I might get round to changing the injector this weekend, although I've got a lot of other stuff on the cards too.

I changed the air filter last week, which has pepped it up a bit more (the old one had tatties growing in it). I've got the other filters to fit as well, and an oil change to do, but not had a chance yet. The luggage cover and towbar arrive this week... I've stuck a stereo in it too (rear speakers seem to be dead though - just a faint whisper from the tweeters in the rear doors, and nothing from the bigger speakers - I suspect it could be damp in the wiring).

Mine ticks over like a racing car, but it doesn't go like one :lol:

7. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Mike.

I'll see whether the speakers from the 90 are the same?

They shall be yours, of course, if:

A - They are suitable?

B - They have not been thrown in a skip?

Shame yours is an Avant, as the bit that fits on the back shelf of the car, for plugging in headphones, is kicking around somewhere.

Dave.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer, but I've got loads of speakers kicking around. Don't worry about it. I suspect it's the wiring, but if it's the speakers themselves I've got a few possible replacements.

9. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

OK Mike.

I'll check anyway just in case.

They are probably saleable?

I am at present trying to raise cash for all on the Mk2 VWMS stuff I want to buy.

You might be interested that I have put my signed copy (313/3000) of:

Marc Bongers' "Porsche and RUF - Sportscars"

In the hands of the book-dealer, in town, to sell on for me.

Dave.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

^^ I might be interested in that if I could read ;)

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Did about 450 miles at the weekend - Inters and back, twice. Filled up at the start and still got a quarter of a tank left - awesome!

12. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

oh so you were lurking around there somewhere yesterday?? Actually knowing you, you were probably in and out before I even got there.

Anyway glad you are enjoying the diesel economy engine/gearbox transporting thingy you have bought. Does it smell of wet surfer?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was on the autojumble from 10-4. I had a plot next to Jettadan and Sambo (and their mate whose name I've forgotten). Couldn't really wander around.

The car needs a good steam clean and a service, but I'm happy with the way it's going so far.

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I must have just missed you then as I had a wander through the jumble around 4ish

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was leaving about then. Was out the main gate at 4.10

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

So... I've done 1500 miles in the car, (averaging about 48 mpg) and given that the alternator belt was a bit frayed when I bought the car, I wasn't surprised when it finally let go this morning. I've been flat out with jobs on other cars. so I hadn't got round to it. I've already bought both aux belts though.

Any tips for doing the Aux Belts on an Audi 80 TDI - I guess it's similar to A4s or the later passat with the longitudinal engine install?

Looks like the undertray needs to come off, PAS setup needs to be slackened off, and then some sort of lever to push the belt tensioner down? It's only a few inches from the radiator, but I'm hoping I can do it without removing the rad.

Any thoughts or tricky bits to look out for? I haven't got time to go near the cambelt this weekend, so let's leave that alone for now :lol:

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

So I did the alt belt swap a few weeks ago (the new one was a bit tight and had to be wound on by turning the crank with a ratchet bar). Thankfully a mate lent me a hand to get it on.

Meanwhile, I've now done over 3k miles in the car, in just over a month and finally got round to fitting the 3rd injector that aidanb22 sent me :thumbup:

Having heard the horror stories about injectors being seized in the bore, I was pleasantly surprised when it came out, with a bit of wiggling around with a spanner, then got it out by pulling with mole grips.

I re-annealed the copper washer with the trusty blow torch, let it cool, gave it a quick rub down with sandpaper, and then put it all back together. The trickiest part of the job was getting the spanner onto the high pressure pipes, where they bolt to the pump - needed to just loosen them off to help move the pipes out of the way, and undid them all from the tops of the injectors.

Job done! I'll re-scan for fault codes when I get the chance!

Next thing planned for this week is a cambelt swap. I picked up all the kit and tools from GSF yesterday. I also picked up two driveshafts, a steering wheel, gear lever gaiter, and ignition lock, all for 40 from a bloke on the audifans forum.

18. mattwhippit New Member

problem solved?!

Hi Mike, bought an audi 80 tdi in Bristol, spookily same issues as you had - judder, hunt at idle, cv joints - did you sell the car?!! Want to get the judder sorted, did replacing the 3rd injector work?

cheers
    Matt

19. Dubnutter Forum Member

I have a 1z engine'd mk3 golf tdi with a confirmed working maf sensor. If your in the area or passing at any point and wish to borrow it off my car to see if it solves a problem your more than welcome. Its my daily at the mo so i couldnt post it or let it go for too long.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Spooky... I bought mine in Bristol too. Maybe we're living in parallel universes, and CGTI is the connecting portal [:o)]

Replacing the 3rd injector made a big difference, although it still judders a little bit at light throttle openings.

Have you had it scanned for fault codes?