Audi S2 Brakes on a Mk2 Golf - Photos!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by pj_sibley, Jan 9, 2011.

1. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

I bought mine for 10 from an S2 owner last night :thumbup: However, only 2 ports as well....I guess I can 'T' off each of them though?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as above just use T pieces as per factory MK2

3. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

So, is a late Mk2 16v 22.2mm master cylinder likely to be 2 outlet or 4 outlet then, if it already uses T-pieces?

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Quite interested in this conversion , how much better are the brakes that 280s ?
    At the moment my new engine can smoke the front brakes and the rears so i have 280mm kit for the rears , but wonder how much better this fronts are , i was looking at the wilwood kit as i am staying with 15" wheels

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

factory fitted ones usually 2 outlet, new ones usually 4. just blank off the 2 spare outlets :)

6. strimmer Forum Member

I'm changing the S2 upgrade for Wilwood, never used the S2 setup and it is much better value than a new Wilwood kit but for the weight saving and I was never comortable with the idea of lipping caused by using 280mm discs Im goign to purchase Wilwood instead.

7. strimmer Forum Member

8. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I would be very interested to hear if there is any performance difference , cheers

9. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Checked mine - it's 2 outlet fortunately! So, "should" be a like for like swap apparently, as per gunit-84's experience.

10. gunit-84 Forum Member

my master cylinder had 4 outlets but had 2 blanks fitted down one side, i only used the 2 outlets and then my pipe work T's off at the bulk head if that helps, 86 gti

11. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Spotted the two 'T' junctions near my bulkhead too, so should be the same as yours :thumbup:

Were the outlets the same size on the OE item and the S2 item or did you have to fit new unions? How was it for space, as the S2 fluid reservoir looks bigger than the Mk2 item and there isn't exactly a lot of space in that part of the engine bay.

12. gunit-84 Forum Member

the unions were the same size on mine so nipped up lovely, is your res the big round jobbie? i had that with mine but fitted a g60 one i believe, exactly the same size as a mk2 item but with the clutch take off round the side,

13. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

A bit of a twist for this upgrade....

A friend of mine has (randomly) identified that the 03 on Vauxhall Meriva 1.7 CDTi (LOL!) ran 280x25mm vented discs in 4x100pcd fitment i.e. the same thickness as OE S2 discs, rather than the 22mm of the G60 items. The centre bore is approx. 60mm, so this needs to be expanded to 65mm to fit the Mk2 Golf hub.

We've done some calculations and the centre line of the disc will sit within 0.5mm of the G60 items, so should work nicely under the S2 calipers and allow use of the thinner MDB1819 fitment Mintex 1155 pads (without worries about the piston falling out when the pads wear down). It will also result in the wheels being spaced out by 2mm :thumbup:

So, Ive bought a cheapy set from ECP and am having the bore expanded this week by a machine shop. Will feedback with photos when Ive got them fitted and tested!!

14. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Forgot to mention....the swept area available for pad to disc contact is 7.5mm wider on the Meriva disc than the G60 discs. This should eliminate the pad 'step' issue people have when running the G60 discs with the S2 calipers, where the pad to disc contact is incomplete on the inner edge, leading to differential pad wear.

15. kevfawcett New Member

mine look like this
    [​IMG]

Kev

16. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Out of interest, which discs are those? Look to be grooved but not drilled.

Although I've bought cheapy Eicher discs for the trial run (41 per pair!), I'll be looking to get the Brembo items (09.9159.10) to use with Mintex 1155 pads if it ends up working. They don't do a Brembo Max variant in this fitment unfortunately.

17. kevfawcett New Member

EBC Ultimax G60 Discs mate

18. gunit-84 Forum Member

pj, good find on the vauxhal discs! let us know how you get on! have you got any more info on the mintex pads??

19. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

Yep, will post up when we've tested them out. The trial discs are now in with the machine shop, so will hopefully get them back soon! Hopefully it really is as simple as just enlarging the bore from 60mm to 65mm; the calcualtions on disc centre line certainly seem to work in our favour (Brembo catalogue has all of the engineering drawings) :thumbup:

As for the Mintex pads, see Post 22 in this thread. Basically, when you search for S2 pads you only get the MDB1485 fitment items, which only come in the standard compound. However, I spoke to Mintex and established that the MDB1819 items are exactly the same fitment but available in the 'M' compounds such as 1155 and 1166 etc. The 1155s are about 120 from Camskill. However, they are 1mm thinner than the regular pads, hence why we went on the search for a thicker disc!!

If this all works out, I'll be looking to run plain Brembo discs with Mintex 1155s front and rear for track use. In which case, I'll have a set of barely used, plain Eicher discs if you want them for not much money gunit-84?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  20. gunit-84 Forum Member

thats awesome work!! amazing what infos about if you can find it!! im deffo interested in the discs, and might buy a set of 1155's to, after reading up they seem fine for the road and track :) good brakes getting better in this thread, top work :thumbup: