Audi S3 - any good?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by coolasacucumber, Jan 14, 2006.

1. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

I used to thrash the living daylights out of my golfs. They were just begging to have every ounce rung out of each gear and I enjoyed every minute of it. Even my Dad turned into some kind of a speed monster when he got behind the wheel :lol:

Trouble is it became a little tiresome on long motorway journeys where I'd need to change down to 4th gear at 90 mph to get the best out of it when overtaking.

My passengers knew (and almost definately the person I was racing) when I was trying hard. A modified airbox and stainless exhaust kind of give it away once you put your foot down :lol:

However, in the Audi I rarely get the urge to race anyone... quite happy to cruise around all day. Just wafting along in my climate controlled arm chair in near silence ;)

The S3 is a very different beast compared to a mk1 or mk2 golf. In fact I'd say it's almost an unfair comparison to both the Audi and the VW. Remember it's not all about out and out performance :)

I can see myself buying a mk1 or maybe another mk2 in the future as a 'fun' car, but I know what I'd rather be driving on a long haul. Perhaps to help keep the mileage of the Audi down at least, because repairs and services are very expensive!!

2. coolasacucumber Forum Member

Sorry its a bit late! Stopped off at my mums on the way back, got talking, you know how it is... :lol:

Anyway - the test drive went very well, I think the salesman was a little disapointed that I didnt buy it haha.

It was the first time I had taken a good look around one.

From 5 or so meteres away they look great [:D] Fat arches, wide wheels, big bumpers, xenon lights etc - all add to the 'presence'.

The first place I looked was the boot, not sure why [:$] . It was a bit smaller than I expected, but then with the 4 wheel drive system, I suppose it means there won't be as much depth, still enough room for weekend bags in there though, plus the rear seats go down, so if push came to shove, you could pack a fair bit in there.

There was a very nice feel to the opening of the drivers door, I was expecting it to feel reined and solid, but even the little things like that really impressed.

The black leather Recaros were extremely comfortable, grips in just the right places, not too hard, not too soft. The dash I was expecting to look plasticy - but with the gloss black inserts actually looked very classy.

The little silver Quattro badge, the S3 badges on the leather sports wheel and on the clocks nodding towards the intent of the car.

(I'm getting a bit carried away here :lol: )

On starting the engine I was shocked! Absolutely no engine noise inside the cabin whatsoever.

I started off slowly, Im used to a somewhat sluggish diesel, so going to a 210bhp petrol engine took a minute to get used to!

The change into 2nd felt superb, I never thought I would get excited about changing gear, but it really felt great - and that was the same through all 6 gears.

Off the mark I in no way pushed it hard - engine was cold, road was wet, and I didnt know the car, but it felt like it just wanted to go.

Don't get me wrong - at no time when I was driving it did it feel 'super' fast - but when in 3rd and doing 50, I went to give it some and it didn't disapoint!

I think what I was most impressed with was the quality and build of it.

The car was on a Y plate, so it has to be around 5 years old, but there were no rattles, squeaks or other annoying noises. Everything looked and felt like the car had just left the showroom (nearly done 40k miles).

I won't bore you any longer, but in summation I will say I am very impressed overall, and I think with the remap on offer to take it to 265bhp - it would transform it from a great car to a superb car!

Plus the clocks and dash lights do look ace [:D]

Good call above about it being wrong to compare it directly to a mk1 - for my needs a mk1 is vastly inferior, no comparison whatsoever.

However, if you want a good value light car that will go quickly, then an S3 is vastly inferior.

If you want a fast, comfortable, great looking, well built car that can give 30mpg when you need it and also give you an adrenilin rush when required - the in my mind, for the money, the S3 comes up trumps

Edited by: coolasacucumber

3. coolasacucumber Forum Member

i bet no-one reads that ;)

4. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

Fantastic write up. :thumbup: :clap:

Sounds like the car fits all your needs.

:)

5. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yeah top right up dude!!!!!!

how much tho!!!

watch out on the early S3's....check out the guides and newsgroups about any early problems...

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Awesome description, better than the usual 'nice seats' and 'comfy'

So what's the plan from here then...... Private listings? ;)

7. nelo Forum Member

Great writeup - enjoy the car mate - they realy do make you feel good from the drivers seat. :thumbup: From memory,the performance was the most impressive from around 80 odd on the motorway when you floored it rather than from the sprint unless chipped. Get some pics up when you get it - mine was met black with ali door mirrors which I though was tastful [:$]

I never realy gotthe raw GTI thing out of my system so had to go back to a modded Mk1 which I prefer (as a weekend blow away the cobwebs type car) but no offense meant to any S3 owner.

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

buy buy buy [:D]

9. coolasacucumber Forum Member

that one was up at 15k with 37k miles, but to be honest I would buy private, for the same money you can get a 2 year younger one with hald the miles and a higher spec.

Ill keep you posted!

10. Seraph Banned

the only reason i say, cos sometimes theres the belief that reading a few magazines and webistes equates to actually living with an s3 to the extent of being an expert!!,

when infact, the two ideas separate!

11. prof Forum Addict

the whole thing about mk1s being faster etc

i think they just feel faster due to noise, roughness etc

my mk2 16v felt loads faster than my coupe, but in reality the coupe is much faster, but very quiet and comfortable, so you can't tell