baffled sump

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by M7R, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Show us your wares then Issam...

2. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Anything would compared to Boff's handiwork! Did he design it, or does he buy them off the shelf?

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

baffled sumps with oil pump pickup enclosed is good, BUT, in my experience of 1.8t on track on sticky tyres there also needs to be some deflection plates certainly on front side of sump to keep the oil from going vertical on heavy braking and filling the breather box up... Been there, done that, consummed 1ltr of oil injested at Donny some years ago.

I ran the Seat Sport baffled sump off the leon SuperCopas - worked for me well.
    INA's fab'd items is a nice peace of kit tho

4. vwd40 Forum Member

Boff will box your ears if he see's this! All Boff's design and in house machined by Bill. ;)

5. badger5

Backdraft also replicate Seat sport sumps currently, aside from the additional drain which the racecars ran.
    Jabba's was a copy of my original Seat sport unit back in 2005 - proven to work, when fabricated correctly.

6. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Thought it would be :thumbup:

Nice piece of kit. He needs to make them for the 20vT ;)

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

right so its back to a jabba one then?? or can i get the cupra sport ones from anywhere? Im not looking to spend shed loads as money is very tight atm, but surely running any baffled sump is better than none?

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The Seat Sport ones I suspect have long been used up.

9. Mook

Mook Forum Member

10. badger5

[:s]
    do you not read the posted thread? #26

Backdraft also make them... 285+vat currently on SCN forum

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

sorry Bill [:$] Ill get one ordered soon, cheers guys.

12. INA

INA Forum Member

May apologies

13. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

just thought I would post up another option, TSR are doing a sump insert kit that fit in the sump as a seperate unit, looks alot like the ones Mr Hillclimber makes, no 1 way doors but has plates to help control flow and edge plates to stop the oil climbing up the sides.

link to hill climbers - http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200081

14. motha Forum Member

It may not be a baffled sump but...

If you know someone who can TIG, & could fab up some baffles, this could also be option.

A factory VW 20vt (later version blocks eg. AGU) 2 piece setup with a steel bottom.

Much tougher & I think alittle shallower & more suited to 20vt engine conversion'd cars such as Mk1 & 2 which have been lowered etc.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Engine/Mechanical/ES4369/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. INA

INA Forum Member

By the time you tig mig arc stock oil pans you are pretty much OVER the price of our offering AND you are still with a cast pan.

For the quality if work you are getting, our oil pan is the best bang for buck period.

16. motha Forum Member

I'm not posting this to stir the pot, but how do you figure, if you can weld or have a mate that can weld & can bend up some steel to fab up a crank scraper & some partitions in the sump & use a VW motorsport windage tray it would be dearer than your $400US sump?

In regards to a stock style steel mk1 1.8L/AEB style pan, I reckon with alittle bit of time (not even a days job), the most the sump will cost you is less than $50US for a VW Motorsport windage tray. The steel required is very minimal too to it could be made out of cut offs.

Alot cheaper than any alloy sump.

Please forgive me for not being a fan of alloy sumps.

I know its hard to beat alloy for dissipating heat but......

working not only for VW for several years, but also for BMW for over 10 years, I've seen so many alloy sumps trashed in normal road use. Most of the cars were never lowered either! Doesn't take much for a rock to split a sump.

Here's another option

Moroso steel sump. Approx $330US & has the kicked out section in front of the oil pump where I reckon it should be for best the scavenging effect & fit a Motorsport windage as added control

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mook

Mook Forum Member

IIRC the INA baffled sump is a Moroso sump, sold as a rebranded unit, but I'm sure Issam will pipe up if I'm wrong.

Ref the US$400 cost of the baffled unit compared to doing it yourself, sorry, but it's not just a case of knocking something - to compare like for like, you need a new sump and you need CAD cut baffles and you need to think about what you value your own time at per hour.

But if that's your chosen route and you're happy with it, then great :thumbup:

18. motha Forum Member

Its only VW's!

Its not F1 technology chasing a 1/10th of nothing.

Why does it have to be a new sump if your stock sump is good & straight? Don't get this sorry.

Why does it have to be CAD cut baffle plates? Cutting with a angle grinder or plate sheer isn't good enough?

Looking at all the pics, you could draw up your own setup & cut them out yourself. Its not rocket science.

So if you had the talent & tools required to do the job, you'd still rather buy a $400US sump over spending a couple of days in the shed & spend less than $50, because you don't have CAD cut baffle plates?

Doesn't anyone have a bit of ingenuity & like to make there own parts/products anymore?

19. Mook

Mook Forum Member

I guess it's down to how much time you've got and whether you're happy to buy something off the shelf. Yes, I still make/design a lot of stuff, and get things I can't machine or myself sorted at my local engineering shop.

Ref it being a new sump - like I said, you need to compare like for like in terms of the price you're paying - INA supply a new sump.

Like I said, it depends on the value you put on your time. I'm not saying that your time has no value, but saving US$350 while spending 2 days in a shed isn't good value to me - chasing $25 an hour isn't for me.

20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

or go for a TSR insert that costs 100 and slots into a oe sump to make it a baffled one...

either way I paid the extra and had a backdraft sump as I liked the extra bbash plate.. I would have had a shallow one but they dont do a shorter oil return for the KO4 ;) so that was out (plus no one could confirm how much less the oil capactity was