Best Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by VR6Will, Feb 26, 2006.

1. VR6Will Forum Member

i want to find a non acidic alloy wheel cleaner that will get rid of brake dust, i clean my wheels fairly regularly with zymol in hot water, but doesnt get rid of what looks like brake dust pitting.

2. Admin Guest

i just use the car shampoo, autoglym, on the wheels and lots of hot water from the hose and it keeps the dust off quite well.

3. 8Valverpaul Forum Member

Wonder wheels is the very best stuff i've tried!![:D]Plenty of it and a big finger nail do the trick on all normal (silver painted) alloys!! NXT metal polish on the polished splits though!!;)

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

i think will's alloys have a weird finish.

wonder wheels started to eat a set of wheels i once had....i'd use it once in a while if there was stubborn dirt, but otherwise use normal car shampoo. i also find waxing a normal finish alloy stops dirt sticking.

5. GolfJocky Forum Member

Try Megs Hot wheels. It is mild and very good. Also give Turtle's Extreme wheels a go.

6. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member

Used them all, but Autoglym motorcycle cleaner beats them all, and is non-corrosive ;)

7. VR6Will Forum Member

good stuff! :thumbup:

8. NormanCoal Forum Member

Its easy, the best alloy wheel cleaner is someone else, preferably non paid ;)

9. stu h Forum Member

use a bit of clay bar, that shifts it.

had some clay bar that was a bit manky after doing a couple of cars and took the c*ap off a treat.

10. Admin Guest

used that turtles stuff this afternoon washing my GF fleet of cars, top stuff! spray it on at the start of washing the car before anything else, wash car as normal and rinse the wheels off, brush down or sponge them down and it removed all the gunk [:D] i hate cleaning wheels and this made an easy job of it.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the dirt/brake dust has stained itself on to my gfs wheels, its stuck on my dried sheddies and in awkward corners too

i tried using megs metal polish and that worked to an extent, but will a spray alloy wheel cleaner actually get this sort of crap off or am i better off with clay?

once clean i will be waxing them for her

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i got some turtle wax platinum alloy wheel cleaner. aparently it is brutal stuff so i thought id test it on my vile exhaust pipe. months of baked on crap (that i couldnt get off with metal polish) just came right off. id hate to get it on my skin, put it that way

13. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

as others have said, Autoglym motorcycle cleaner is the best i've used and is water based but works better than most harsh acid based ones

14. dub-low-sport Forum Member

if you can get your hands on tfr (traffic film remover) normally used by garages to degreas engine etc it works brilliant spray it on leave it 5-10 mins and get a sponge and scrub it off then rinse i cant find anything better

15. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

I normally use Turtles Extreme wheel cleaner.:thumbup:

Ive used nearly every cleaner and it seems to be the best. It takes the brake dust straight off and brings the wheels up well nice and shiny.

Plus ive noticed they stay cleaner for longer when i use it!!! :thumbup:

16. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Bilberry wheel cleaner is miles better than the Wonder Wheels stuff

17. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Bilberry is very good.......im using meg Hot wheels as can get in local halfrauds

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i used the turtle wax one yesterday. smelt so acidic. worked very well, wheels are waxed now, i dont plan on using the wheel cleaner on the same wheels more than once

19. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

What does the packaging look like for the turtle wax one? I've just splashed out half a remianing bottle of Wonder Wheels on my gearbox so considering trying something else for a change. Bilberyy is the **** tho

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I spent a whole saturday, removing each wheel - wonder wheels followed by polish followed by waxing twice and now the dust comes off with just a sponge (sorry I meant a micro beaded, no polyester, high fibre detailing mit)