Best Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by VR6Will, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

FAG

(i put paste wax on my gfs wheels, twice, cos after the first round i realised they sparkled more)

[​IMG]
    i used that, brutally acidic. very good cleaner thoguh, meant to be safe for everything

2. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Sweet cheers Matt :thumbup:

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it gets the filth off, give it some wax and then stay on top of the cleaning innit

4. bamba.paul Forum Member

i just brought some turtle wax extreme nano-tech wheel cleaner, its says on the bottle front safe to use on all wheel,how ever on the back it says not to use on coated wheels ??
    so unsure weather to use it now, has any on used it ?
    its the one in the illuminus green bottle
    i can see it going back to the shop

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

when you use it youll notice it smells strongly of acid. you wont want to use it on your wheels often at all. i used it and was impressed at how it got rid of stains tbh

6. bamba.paul Forum Member

hmmm, noticed the picture on the front shows a chrome wheel , so bit worried it might strip and coating/lacuer/paint away or diss colour it

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

just use it on there for as long as it needs to get the muck off. then wax them to keep them clean in teh future. ftw etc

8. bamba.paul Forum Member

dont mean to sound stupid but what you wax them with, its only a set of 14in bbs , but there an **** to clean,any thin to make life bit easier

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

doh... theyre bbs. they are a PAIN

i wax my wheels with normal bodywork wax. makes the dirt come off easier but on a BBS... good luck :(

10. bamba.paul Forum Member

that dont sound like easy work

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I once polished and waxed a set of Corrado 15" BBS - It took me an hour and a half per wheel.

EDIT: and my fingertips were like putty for days afterwards

12. MK1G20VT Forum Member

I used to own a valeting company and have tried loads of products and all the stuff I have tried out of halfords and the like is crap. We used to use a wheel acid which yes if used all the time leaves streaks in the wheel but you shouldn't need to use it all the time if you clean your car often. Traffic film remover is good but not as good as the acid and if used all the time can leave streaks. Best bet is to find a company that supplies valating companies and buy from them. Autosmart are a good one, plus they are mobile.

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I find its often easier taking off the majority of brake dust with a dry cloth whilst the wheel is dry. As it is dust it wipes off fairly easily then just finish off with soapy water.

If you have brake just pitting then use the wonder wheels acid or autoglym high resin polish (the polish will require more elbow grease) as a one off then just wash the wheels regularily without using abrasive products and the pitting will not return. Pitting only occurs if wheels are not washed and are neglected.

the autoglym stiff straight wheel brush used in an angry stabbing motion works well on BBS :lol:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009