Best alloy width for handleing?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Lennard, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thinking of road rather than competition use....

Stick anthing more than narrow spacers on the front and you'll probably start eating wheel bearings. A wider track is a better bet, because it moves the wheel bearing out a bit too, so the leverage isn't so bad on the bearing.

A Mk2 isn't a particularly heavy car (light by modern standards) so unless you're running big power (up towards 200bhp or more) I reckon anything over 7" is probably a waste of time, and it'll give you more problems with tramlining, aquaplaning, etc. It'd be lethal in the snow too!

Wider wheels will tend to move the centreline of the wheel further out, which will also give you problems with bump steer.

On a FWD car you generally want the same all round, or more rubber on the front if anything.
    Edited by: mikehorsb

2. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

what do you mean by a wider track then?

I'm aiming for about 160 bhp and the car has been fully stipped now (even the dash), then next year a nitrous kit with a 50 bhp pulse bringing the total to around 200bhp +/- circa 10 bhp.

What set up would you reccomend, bearing in mind i'm not afraid to mess with camber or suspension geometry and it still needs to be road worthy (although it will only be on the road 3 months of the year tops just for track days).

3. steved Forum Member

Erm 7 x 15 unless your going to use a Et0 wheel and have wide arches

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

id go with the guys saying 7x15 :)

the reason mine was alright handling wise was,the fronts were grippy enough 8x14's with 195/45's and the rears were stupidly wide 9x14's with 255/35's and actually didnt grip very well.

basically there wasnt enough weight on the back to warrant the width,but it turned in well on the front,and the back was light which made for much 4 wheel drifting.

seemed to even out the understeer.

and in the wet it was mental! :lol:

5. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

I just quite liked the idea of wider alloys... but if 7x15"is the best track day set up then 7x15" it is!

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

I like my 7x15's, good levels of grip with my Yoko's but any wider and i don't think I could move the steering wheel in the car park without PAS!

Am I right in saying that if you have a wheel too wide, the weight will be distributed more (larger surface area) so therefore the actual pressure exerted on the tyre rubber will be less, therefore grip could be reduced? Just thought of Friction from a physics point of view regarding surface area and pressure :)

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Is there anyone on here or knows anyone running a wide track mk1 with 7 x 15 for some info for me?

8. jimmy8v Forum Member

How have you widetracked your mk1? None of the other suspension components fit to just swap stuff in and out, or have you got custom lower arms?

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Who said they have widetracked a mk1?

10. robinoz Forum Member

Isn't it more a case of tyre size than wheel width. 15 x 7 with 205/45/15 would be good. T1-R's come in this size
    Edited by: robinoz

11. jimmy8v Forum Member

sorry i misinterpreted what you said. my bad.

12. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

That was going to be my next thread ;)

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

But stretching tyres works the opposite way with handling doesn't it?

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Look at any proper 15" motorsport tyres such as Toyo R888 and the Yokohama A048s I use for track days - They don't make them in these daft sizes.

195/50x15 or 205/50x15 with a very stiff sidewall on a 7x15 - it's all you need on a track day mk2 :thumbup:

These Berg cup cars with widetrack and low offset wheels are feck all like our cars, they're purpose built hillclimb cars with one purpose only, to go up a hill as fast as possible on slick tyres.

Oh,hang on Iguana has already explained that :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

15. robinoz Forum Member

I'm currently running RS 6.5 front and 7 at the back. 195/50/15 looks too stretched so the logic is to go with a wider treat and lower sidewall to maximise cornering, Wouldn't 45 be better than a 50 sidewall?

16. CashewNUT New Member

The best wheel size for handling is a8 x 17 - I have some on my Mk2 and have never been beaten in a race, much better than these 15's as the tire rolls too much

17. GVK

By race, do you mean on a circuit, or a quick lap of the local one way system? [:[]

18. CashewNUT New Member

What have you ever raced then Mr know-it all ?

19. GVK

Answer my question ;)

And don't start the insults already.

Lennard has asked what works on track days, and that's what I do, and 15" wheels work very well with proper tyres.
    Edited by: GVK

20. CashewNUT New Member

It was you who started the insults, suggesting I'm some sort of chav / macdonolds racer. I've been on a few tracks and done some racing - have you ? . How many cars in the VW Cup run on 15's then ?