best engine for mk 1

Discussion in 'Engines' started by stubbsy, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Tommy Forum Member

erm, top end is top end ie with the same box 6krpm will be the same speed whatever engine. the 16v will get there feck loads quicker though trust me.

Like LOADS QUICKER.

Jason: with regards the box - it's all about ratios. the 1600 box is shorter ratio and closer. what you sacrifice in top speed you gain in aceleration and all round mental-ness. Mine does 80mph at 4k, which is a bit noisy, but i normally blat round lanes and its way better for that.

I *think the 1600 box is all done at around 120, wheras the longer ratios of the 16v box see it go on to about 140.
    Plus if you use a mk1 box - 1600 or 1800, you keep drive shafts etc, makes thing easier

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Who said caps lock ;)

3. dan allen Forum Member

fcuk me this has gone a bit mad aint it

either engine has its own advantages and the top speed will alwyas be governed by the gearing whether u have 50bhp or 5000 bhp

the sole reason i chose a 1600 5 speed for mine was because it was a close ratio box with a low final drive ok my car only does 120-130mph top end but gets there damn fast.

one major problem though on the road it accelerates like a mad thing in all gears, but from a standing start wheelspin as as common as clouds in the sky :(

4. stubbsy New Member

have jabba got a website??

5. GTI

GTI Forum Member

its just one more thing to go wrong, having a supercharger

6. stubbsy New Member

good fun though. has a 1.8 turbo ever been done out of the golf gti turbo or the tt engine?

7. coolasacucumber Forum Member

g40 for me, 160 bhp and the only other g40 in a mk1 in the country does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds...

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Once or twice :p

9. stubbsy New Member

how come the g40 isnt done that often? is it a harder conversion to do?

10. vealige Forum Member

G40 is a 1.3 out of a mk3 polo and there were only ever 500 made in this country! But what a 1.3 113BHP standard! :)

11. ViCk Forum Member

16v in a Mk1 is a great car, you will be looking at sub 8 secs 0-60 with a standard 1.8 16v. A few simple mods will see a healthy 7 sec 0-60 or quicker in some cases. As for the Mk1 20v Turbos's, there are a fair few about, but those who have them are either loaded or have the mechanical brains to do it them selves.

VW Enterprises Mk1 is awesome, as well as Westsides black one.

12. RO

Ro Forum Member

i stuck with a 1860cc race spec engine in my old [:^(] MK1 did about 135 top whack 0-60 in 6.9s and 1/4 in 15s. and it only had 105-110bhp at the wheels, it was just a bit rev happy (7,200rpm) cos it was so well balenced.

So it all depends on what you want, how much you have to spend and what you want to use the car for.

mouse

13. daveybwoy Forum Member

Yep loads of money for a Mk1 20v.........Shaz's got one, Darren for VW enterprises and slappbladder as a Mk1 cab 20v. but is not as a straight forward fit as a 20v in a mark II.

Over heard Darren say 360 BHP out of his whether thats true or not I can't say.