Best rad for ITB'd Mk1 Valvers?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by James V, Nov 1, 2010.

1. James V Forum Member

I'm sure this has been covered before, but had a quick search and couldn't find a lot, basically on the lookout for a decent short rad to use on my 9A'd Mk1 running Hayabusa ITBs, I've heard whispers of Corsa ones being suitable, I'm after something which isn't going to involve too much dicking about with hoses, so preferably inlet and outlet similar to the Mk1 OE rad.

Cheers Guys,

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

3. James V Forum Member

So, from looking at them it appears that the Corsa B 1.0 -1.2 rad seems the ideal option (both inlet and outlet on the same side) but is it up to the job of keeping 9A cool enough? I'll be running a 10" Spal fan on it...

I'd love to get a custom made job, but I've dropped nigh on 600 on the car this week already!

4. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Pace Radiator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Radiator in position, Oil cooler will have to be moved to the N/S to clear the air flow to TB's
    [​IMG]

5. James V Forum Member

Yeh i'm on a bit of a budget at the moment though Brooky, how was yours temp wise with the Corsa rad?

6. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

It's a while ago since I fitted my corsa radiator but it is much lighter than a standard VW 16v radiator, the core is thinner but also wider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Termperatures with trackday running are nice and cool, below half on the gauge, running in traffic things can get warm but with a decent after market fan, all is well, you could even run a second smaller one if needed.

Hoses can be interesting to make.

7. James V Forum Member

So if i was running say 2x 9" Spal's I'd be ok? Just don't want to throw money at it then end up having to do it again!

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I cant remember what size slim line I've got but it fits the rad top to bottom on the space directly infront of the gearbox side, I've always wanted to fit a smaller one in the space under the airboxes as a safeguard.

If you can fit 2x 9" into the space you have, I cant see that being a problem. The slim line fans do pull alot of fresh air through.

For the hoses...

Bottom - Corsa bottom hose for the same rad and I think, in the end, a Mk1 8v bottom hose from GSF. It's either an Mk1 8v or Mk2 16v, one might be more usable than the other depending where you place the rad as to how you chop both up. The Corsa hose has a 32mm ID bore if I remember correctly and VW 30mm ID bore, I cant say I ever found a suitable hose joiner. The make-shift hose will end up in a 'S', with a hose joiner being placed in on the straight section.

Top - Samco Superflex hose 32mm ID hose (1m), to suit the larger Corsa end.

* Best to check sizes as it was quite some time ago!

9. James V Forum Member

nice one, much appreciated, i did a mock up with the corsa rad and the two 9" Spal's and they cover around 54% surface area, which should do the job, think they shift around 1100CFM each, so hopefully should be all good :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  10. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

Any pics of your set up James?

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

To think i started the corsa rad craze all those years ago. 96 or 97? [:^:]

I remember the day well...Having just had the newly installed valver lump running on 45's.

What's are those rads over there mate?

Corsa and nova i think?

Corsa looks like a good fit to me, lets throw it in! And hows about modding that ol' nova rad fan to fit? Done! [:D]:thumbup: Really miss the ol' mk1 days...Pic for old times sake.

[​IMG]

12. murph81 Forum Member

Was that a custom made rad Brookster?

Was it expensive?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011