Best Track day Tyres?? Golf mk2 20vt??

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Mk2 Mad Leigh, Jun 13, 2014.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

205/45-16 kumho v70s. Good tyre. Hard on front, soft on back.

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Robs giving away all his competition secrets now he's ditching gti scene and going hard core Motorsport lol

RobT likes this.
  3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Happy to help :)

mat-mk3 and Sirguydo like this.
  4. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

So what tyres does the new toy run Rob, Or slicks only?lol

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Avon radials. Slicks (choice of a53 or a15 compound) or wets. The circuit race series runs on Dunlops, which are much harder and need a lot more camber. For longer sprints, the harder a53s will come in towards the end, whilst the a15s are softer and will be better at the start. The trick is going to be balancing the two, with pressures.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    mat-mk3 likes this.
  6. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I've been using the Kumho V70A's for a while, very good tyre but I can't compare with the rest because I haven't used the R888's or A048. But on a damp day at Pembrey, out of me with the V70A, my mates 200SX with the Hankooks, a Caterham with A048 & a VX220 with R888 I was the only one coming off with any heat in my tyres (medium compound).

I've posted a link to a track tyre test a long time ago and they said that in the dry the V70A are one of the best but then in the wet they were right at the bottom, I've spoken to Kumho Motorpsort and they will cut the soft compound into wets for you at no extra cost. You just need to check with the company or person you purchasing them off first and state you want them cut, I have yet to try this because I have Uniroyal Rainsports to finish off first.

jamesa likes this.
  7. G2T

G2T Forum Member

The a048`s I`ve been using are 195/50/16 (think its a lotus elise size) and are ok on my mk2 with rolled rear and cut/rolled front arches.