Best tyres for fast road use?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Savagesam, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, now time to do some reading :thumbup:

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Have had 'top end' tyres like Pirelli P Zero, Goodyear Eagle F1, Continental etc, and its hard to really tell any difference. Also recently tried a set of Kumho Ecsta LE Sport, mid range I guess, and most of the time perfectly fine. Only difference I have noticed is grip out of a junction if the road is wet. Once had a car that came with Avon ZZ3, lower price tyre quite often, absolutely terrible. Noisy, poor feel for the road, used to wander around. Never again.

3. blis Forum Member

I had a series of 15" Ecstas deform as the belts failed. Happened to three of the batch.

I then moved onto Bridgestone Potenzas, LOVE EM!

4. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I found this large thread on pistonheads Uniroyal Rainsport 3-Verdict?

Ultimately I think I may need something else on the warmest days of summer, but they should fit the bill as a right way compromised all seasons tyre. So thanks for the recommendations.

If anyone does buy URS3 from Camskill let me know how old they are and who the courier is. Hopefully I haven't shot myself in the foot they've been despatched from mytyres now via DPD.

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not sure what date was on all the tyres sets we had off camskill. I do know they come pretty pronto!
    For the road you should never have to have to push on as hard as you would on a track. UniRS3 will be fine.
    On track, on a dry day, the side walls turn to jello on the UniRS3 and that is when a switch to say a Federal RSR or a A048 makes a 'night and day' difference.

6. twolitrepinto Forum Member

I can't rate the Uniroyal rainsports high enough. I use them on my daily.

I was using toyo proxes T1R's which are very good in the summer and not bad on track but wear quickly. They have a flimsy side wall so they do roll a little and wear the outer edges. I didnt suffer this as i was running -3.0 neg camber at the time.
    I found the rainsports much more predictable all round though. For a rain tyre they are very grippy in the dry also.
    I drive very hard and have so much confidence in the corners no matter what the weather.
    I especially love them in the pouring rain when there is standing water, they disperse big puddles as if they weren't there. MUCH less aquaplaning than others i've used.

Don't be tempted to use trackday tyres on the road, yes they are grippy in the dry but after a while you will get fed up of the decreased ride quality and tramlining. Also after so many heat cycles they turn hard.

7. Finite

My tyres have made it from Lehrte>Leicestershire yesterday so I should find out shortly.

EDIT: They're 4715 so less than 2 months old.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. Finite

A word of caution about not booking a fitting station in advance with mytyres. I didn't expect 5 per wheel extra for fitting at the same station.

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I get the good guys at Style Dynamics to sort me out with fitting and balancing, when I buy tires from Camskill.

No good for you in Northampton though.

10. Finite

That's handy. I haven't had to do this for a while so I'm starting from scratch again. There's no immediate rush though as I realise I need to correct the camber or pay two tyres worth of adjustments when it's all coming off again later for springs.

11. Savagesam

Well it looks like i'll be going for the rainsports, they are recommended by everyone and much cheaper. I've got a few other bits to sort before I order them and then it's off to my dads to get them fitted.

Does the shelf age really matter that much?

12. Finite

If you do a fair amount of monthly miles and tyres don't last you years probably not.

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My 1st mk1 GTI (y plate.....) used a pair of MXV's on the front in 6000 miles. They are a consumable, get them worn out....Then try something else.....
    IMHO
    Jon

14. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

I have to throw in a suggestion

Nankang NS-2R - Semi slicks
    they are a fantastic tyre! and very very good in the wet, with a B rating which is great espeially form a semi slick, and on track they are brilliant!
    220 ish a set :)

15. Savagesam

^ How long have they lasted you so far? They the ones you took to the ring in your thread?

16. Finite

The marketing page says they're a competition drift tyre. What compound did you get 120 or 180/street?

17. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

I used the medium 180 compound, yeah these are the ones I went to the ring with. I've done around 1,000 including the ring and one track day. On tyre reviews most people are getting around 8-10,000 road miles out of a set which is awesome!

I can't rate them enough :)

18. Muuu New Member

try Toyo R888 new version or Federal FZ-201, it's slick and legal to street!

19. Peter Jones Forum Member

My partner alternates between her '79 Golf and '80 Passat for her daily commute.

Both are fitted with Toyo R888s.

We get over 2 years out of them them sell them off to a racer once they're worn to the tread bars.

On the road they never get heat cycled, they just don't get hot enough.

20. Savagesam

Them Toyo tyres are more expensive than the ones fasteddie mentioned! damn. I'm not used to everything being so expensive!

I've had to put them on the side for the time being as other bits have popped up but I think for the time being, not earning a massive amount of money I think I'm going to go for the rainsports, when I can afford them! [:D]