Best year for a pre-cat donor 8V?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by RobT, Sep 1, 2008.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

That could be the case, Im just looking for some more info now

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Direct quote from the testers manual........

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.
    e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter
    to prove engine age

[:D] [:D] [:-B] ................[:$]

3. prof Forum Addict

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

so I could fit a 70scarbed v8 in an 08 car and pass the emissions test[:s]

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Shut up and stick to working out my diet ;)

Caught your quote in time :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

that dont help though boys.....cheap and cheerful 2L engines are mostly post 91 - so I think grind engine numbers off, stick it in, pre cat test thankyou very much

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

personally if you doing it on a budget get a 2E, from whatever early mk3 GTI, SEATs etc they are stronger than AGG etc Hotgolf will have the reasoning, im sure its stronger rods plus i think they have the piston cooling oil squirters.

anyway back on track, and after some thought, if its carbs you wont need much of the wiring, so early cars should be an option.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Modified engines still have to conform to the emissions for the year of the engine, code number from 1975 engine stamped onto the block. The engine number can be removed and altered, engine builder used to do it when they rebuilt them

AAD 2.0 8v 4 cyl fitted to Coupe 90/91 and thats the first one out of the book, the 2.0 will have been out in another country before over here

code WA, 2.0 8v 1976-1979 Audi 100

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

my car with the 2e fitted never had any problems, dont think they even bothered testing it TBH!

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Just seen this Rob... late Mk2 Golf, early Corrado ? or for the weight issue as Mike mentioned.. late Scirroco.

I see yr thinking regarding the weight of the carbs at the back, but I doubt it would be even noticable if they were at the front , theres still a lot of 'car' further forward than the carbs would be. Plus for track day fun on a budget, a few kilo's in the wrong place is nothing really to worry about.

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

:hug:

11. paultownsend Forum Member

im interested in the 2e/agg differences, if anyone can explain

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

interesting chat today with a chap I know today called Peter Burgess up here in Derbyshire. Peter is famed for MG engines (many championships to his credit) and books on cylinder head modifications. I have had a couple of mega MGB heads done by him in the past and his attitude is you dont pay till it does the biz on his rollers. Enquiry was whether he had much experience with VWs and turns out he has.....he said that the 8V head was good for 170-180hp (140 odd ATW) with stock valve sizes but said that he thought the inlets were 41mm as stock. I thought they were 39mm......and 33mm exhaust - can anyone confirm this ? maybe there are different specs of these 8V heads.

He said definately twin 45 webbers is the way to go. He recommended a BP300 piper cam as a good hydro cam with some potential (290, 11.3mm lift) but looking at the specs I suspect a BP285 (276, 11.4mm lift) may be better - depends on the CR I guess. He suggested a CR hike to 11:1.

He thought about 500 for a top spec head with std valve sizes.

Thoughts ?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

EV solid lifter k-jet head, 1984-85: 38mm / 33mm

EV hydro k-jet head, 1986: 38mm / 33mm

PB hydro digi head, 1987-1992: 40mm / 33 mm

14. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I'd say around a true 165-170hp (so yes, around 140-145 atw's) was possible on standard valve sizes on open induction.

As far as I know all GTi heads are 40/33, though no doubt Chris has checked this thoroughly from the MK2 championship days. I have an EV solid head on the bench now off a B plate Mk2 GTi, I'll have a measure tomorrow.

Certainly no Golf head ever had 41mm inlets, maybe thats what Peter Burgess has used in the past to achieve 170-180hp. Oddly enough, the head off the ex slick 50 engine I converted to carbs this year has 41/35 valves, an odd combination considering it was an ex Paul Rose/tsr engine.

You wont touch anything like 200hp with a 276 cam. The 290 cam would be a starting point for 180hp. Bear in mind, a 290 cam will be quite tame on open induction, unlike on a standard manifold. As an example, when on the standard K-jet, the slick 50 engine idled like a dog with it's Schrick 304, on 45's it idles like a road engine and responds instantly to the throttle.

Price would be right for a top spec head on standard valves.

From yr other posts/threads, you may struggle with the induction length with the carbs as they may need short trumpets to clear the servo, you certainly wont get filters in there. I did'nt realise it was so much tighter on a MK2 than in a MK1.

You sure about this 8v lark now ?... nice 180hp 2ltr 16v on standard injection, tame cams, total drivability/road manners/noise and good fuel consumption !... sorry could'nt resist.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Very useful ta - that'll be why he suggested the BP300 then (294 cam).... I know quite a bit about 16v engines but very little about VW 8Vs, so are considering building one for messing about with and learning if the significant bits I think I need can be aquired or made reasonably easily, not for serious competition as I have my valver race car for that with oodles of power that an 8V will never get anywhere near.

I think downdrafts could be the way to go in a Mk2 due to the space issues....plenty of carbs from the beetle tuning world was last nights find......currently investigating manifolds

then its just a tall block RHD exhaust mani to find......

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

PM bones, he is using downdraught carbs on his syncro

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

yeh I saw that - mani looks like a rare piece though, and contributed towards the thinking, and they are only 40's.....not enough for whats on my mind