BIg brake upgrades for a MK3 VR6

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by NormanCoal, Nov 8, 2003.

1. NormanCoal Forum Member

Anyone got any suggestions for a big brake conversion for the MK3 VR6 - I'm looking for a 4 pot setup.

The brembos that are on the Ibiza are the wrong offset, as are the ones off the Leon (323) so I'm a little stuck with options - can anyone suggest anywhere to look please?

Cheers

Chris

2. edc1 Forum Member

Porsche calipers? Could try going straight to Brembo or AP Racing to see what they have? Or if you just want bigger discs and calipers you could try the 312 size off a Leon or TT.
    Edited by: edc1

3. mark_vr6 Forum Member

4. prof Forum Addict

that must be the seat leon kit that AMD are selling, pricey tho isn't it

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

So you want massive 4 pots, with humungous discs

that will fit behind 15s...? ;)

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Same kit as I do....although theirs is alot more
    and this kit is not 15"rim friendly tho.

Offsets are different tho... Need 50mm wheel hub to wheel spoke clearance. MKIV/Leon kit

Mk2 kit needs 38mm wheel hub to wheel spoke clearance

I hate to say it... but Wilwood might be an option. Not that I am a fan personally. (running them on the ibiza currently)

regards
    bill

Edited by: badger-bill

7. prof Forum Addict

boxster and TT discs

8. prof Forum Addict

http://www.jastraction.com./

these guys import the german "movit" range of porsche brakes, sure they do something for vr hubs mate, may be pricey tho

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

i was under the impression that you could use the ibiza cupra brembo's under most 16" wheels, but they come with 4 stud disks (surely you could get some direct from the manufacturers in 5 stud)? anyone know if these would fit under anniversary bbs wheels?

that may be in the future, at the mo i've got highline wheels and 280mm brakes. i would like more stopping power, so was thinkin of upgrading to 288mm when i wear out the current pads. anyone got any better suggestion (bearing in mind my current wheels - altoght will be gettin anni ones at some point)?

10. badger5

Ibiza-R Brembo's need 16" diameter minimum (usually) BUT also need 38mm wheel hub to spoke clearance and this is usually the sticking point.
    Worth checking for sure.

Bill

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

how would you go about measuring that (from the spokes to the the surface where the wheel meets the hub - whats the best way to do it accuratly)?

you can't work it out from the wheels offset can you?

12. edc1 Forum Member

Would the new pads sweep a greater area than those on a 280 set-up? And, if so, is it going to make a noticeable difference?

13. NormanCoal Forum Member

a few responses

big brakes under 15's - thats the aim. An easy option kit is out there, but I'm baulking at paying 650 + VAT

The Ibiza Cupra R setup will fit under my wheel, but the offsets are completely wrong - wont work without fettling - not got as far as working out exactly what yet - and yes Bill, I'm gutted about that, thought it was gonna work. Still I have a spare MK3 hub, so may try both the Brembo setups on it to see if anything is going to work

The 288 setup on a MK3 is a lot better than a 280 - the pad is a lot bigger, well worth it in my opinion. (these calipers and the same pad design is used on the 312 TT setup, just spaced further away). Also, if you have an early car, the standard early wheels wont fit over the 288's, thats why the wheel design changed - think highline, and the later style BBS rims (these are still 15's)

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, i have the later wheels.

you saying the ibiza cupra r setup will fit under my wheels? and what size brakes are they?

15. Dub20vt Forum Member

acf8181... ibiza brembos are 305mm

here ya chris:
    [​IMG]

i'm just about to order some new rotors... lookin at 310x32... same diameter but wider to try and aid cooling.

16. badger5

Wheel off.
    straight edge across wheel hub and measure back towards the spokes from that edge.

38mm minimum magic number for MK2 based cars and 50mm magic number on MKIV based cars

Bill

17. NormanCoal Forum Member

The Ibiza setup wont work for two reasons - the beeza is MK2 based so is 4 stud, and for that reason, the disc offset is wrong. So in short, it wont work

18. edc1 Forum Member

But surely the Brembo calipers could fit with the appropriate disc?

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

They should do, but where are you going to get an 'appropiate' disc from? [:s]

20. edc1 Forum Member

What about a 312 5x100 OE disc not 305 nor 323 but maybe works? Dunno really just suggesting.