BIg brake upgrades for a MK3 VR6

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by NormanCoal, Nov 8, 2003.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

shame...but you could always use the leon 5 stud brembo's on a mkIII vr6? but that would require 17"s...damn it.

2. Dub20vt Forum Member

you could go for bills kit then get some 305mm rotors and then buy some bells.... problem solved! :p

3. NormanCoal Forum Member

OK, when I get home tonight, I'll take a pic of a 280mm 4 stud G60 disc, and a 280mm 5 stud GTI/VR6 disc. yes they are the same size, but the offsets of them are different. Once you have sorted a disc out (say you use a TT 312 disc and reduce it to 305mm) there is then the problem of the caliper carrier, as the disc wont be at the right offset for the caliper.

I didnt realise this before I looked a little deeper - the early 280mm 5 stud disc equipped MK3's used the same caliper as on the MK2 G60's. What isnt immediately apparent is that the mounting on the hub is at a different distance from the face of the hub, and that is the same difference in the offsets of the 2 discs

Hopefully the pic I'll put up later will explain this a bit better.

The easiest upgrade for a MK3 VR, is to use the 323 Leon kit. It uses the same caliper, but a different carrier. I think that it needs the spaceing altered a small amount (I'm talking a couple or so mm) but it is far easier than the Ibiza kit. But, 17's are needed to clear it, and I want 15's

Talk about making life complicated for myself!!!

4. NormanCoal Forum Member

oops, you really didnt want to see the same post twice now did ya! [:o)]
    Edited by: ChrisP

5. prof Forum Addict

for TT discs tho all you need are some custom brackets surely, i think the TT discs are offset further under the car too which would help

6. barny Forum Member

DO what golfboy said...

Paul, the guy who does all our stuff for us, has been talking about a +300mm disc for our mk2's using a bell and a disc from a bmw (i think)

The bell is almost a blank that he machines down the the correct size and chops up the centre of the disc to allow the bell to be bolted through.

I'm just waiting to see what happens with my Brembo contact and then will talk to paul about building me some

Surely with a bit of research and the fact that your not too far away from him something could be made up for yours ??

7. prof Forum Addict

me too me too :p ;) :)

merc do seperate discs too like porsche, but a bit cheaper, think some of the hispec discs are bmw discs with the centres machined out

8. barny Forum Member

yeah he has either merc sprinter or something on his cossie .... they are feckin thick and 330mm !!

I think he is using cossie four pots - could be wrong tho.

9. prof Forum Addict

some transits come with hooooge 4 pots on

10. AndrewF Forum Addict

think i might just upgrade to 288mm on my vr6 and leave it at that, i'm running 280mm at the mo. at least that'll be simple!

currently run 15" highline wheels, but hope to get 16" anni wheels at some point (probably the mkIV ones though).

was just tryin to work out whats the best brakes i can get under the 16"s without spending silly money...and nothing seems to jump out.

11. NormanCoal Forum Member

In case you did want to see what I mean, see the pic

Please ignore the very broken disc!! :o

[​IMG]

What you see in the background is a spare hub that I have - what I'm thinking of at the moment is to try and get hold of both types of brembo caliper (Ibiza and Leon fitment) to see what looks as tho it will fit best in terms of accepting a disc with an offset not too far from the original. I also have to make sure that the wheel will fit - the distance that is most worrying is from the inside of the spoke measuring toward the face of the wheel hub (as per Bill's description earlier in the thread)

12. NormanCoal Forum Member

Barny - I need to come with you next time you go see Paul (the builder of unusual alloy bits etc etc)

Let me know
    (in the meantime, I should think that the 288's will be used)

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Chris, remind me the offset of your MOs as I was telling Bill how the 15"s fitted over Matt's brakes on Sunday at Stealth :)

14. Dub20vt Forum Member

my compo MOs are 7x15 ET 35 [:D]

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Doh! wrong Chris, I meant ChrisP :)

ET35? - I'm suprised they fitted! - Did you use spacers?

16. barny Forum Member

Very possibly this sat as the golfi blew a bottom hose last night on the way to no-rice (had a bright orange van tow me home - oh the shame of it !!) so need to make something fit properly rather than the kit car bodge it was running - gimmi a call if your free !

17. matt d Forum Member

Ah just the man i want to see.
    They say your wheels will fit over my brakes, i may be trying on one of your wheels on saturday if thats ok :) .
    I'm looking to use 15s for track days. My posh BBS wheels dont like very hot brake dust very much :(

18. NormanCoal Forum Member

My MO's are ET20 -

Matt - there is no way that ET 35 are going to fit on yours!!! you're looking at ET 25 as a minimum I guess

Golfboy Chris' calipers are a lot slimmer than yours!

19. Dub20vt Forum Member

matt you're more than welcome to try and fit one over your brake matt. as chrisp says they're alot slimmer than the seat brembos.

gary: no spacers here! [:^:]

20. prof Forum Addict

porker calipers on golfboys