BMX thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by afbiker02, Jul 14, 2010.

1. chrismorby Forum Member

when i was 16 i smashed my knee cap, all the knee ligaments, the shin and the thigh and after several attepts to rebuild me it worked. THEN i started reading this thread and decided to dust the old girl off, went down my old trails and got though a few sections and then "POP" my acl rips in to two again. So a big thank u for who ever started this thread!

2. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

^that really sucks, my wife bought me a gt pro series 24" a while ago it was 130 from halfords, bargain from 250!!
    Beat a lotus elise into town on the way to college over 3miles of town traffic.

Bmx is the way forward.

does anyone remember "skitchin" ? As in hanging off a moving bus by the wheel arch?

3. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Mine was a cheap as chips mass produced Team Murry with magnesium wheels that weighed a ton. How I loved that bike & dreamed of GT's / Skyway's / Redline's / Haro's etc. Rode a GT performer for a while to college...

[​IMG]

4. danster Forum Addict

Team Murray, that takes me back to the pioneering days, Acorn Mags were a cheap anorexic looking skyway wheel copy too IIRC.

GT Performer with the bent tube at the headstock, I still want one, but have you seen the price!:o

5. MarcN Forum Member

I could not resist it. After reading this thread and the fact that they are about to build a BMX track 2 mins from my house I went out and bought this.

[​IMG]

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A load of BMX brochures I forgot I had - blast from the past!

I bet these are eBay raritat, but I've still got the Tuff Burner, so I'll keep them!

[​IMG]

This was the top of the Raleigh tree in '83 and was hugely expensive - light tube:

[​IMG]

This is mine, circa 100 back then:

[​IMG]

I guess I just collected these for interest afterwards:

[​IMG]

7. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

I've got a DK 6 Pack, the crank is worn out through, so i'll be in the market for a 3pc next year:

[​IMG]

8. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Tuff Burner same as i had

Great BMX and cult following now with the Burner Bash being a full weekend show :thumbup:

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Odd how 5-spokes were as tough then as they are now, car or bike [:s]

10. danster Forum Addict

Good point, checkout my Speedlines :o

11. Brookster

Just bought my oldest Daughter a BMX for christmas

Rooster - Big Daddy and it brought back alot of great memories riding it. ( Me not Her) lol

[​IMG]

Looked all over for a set of Z - Rims since as i always wanted a pair , back in the day my mate had Z - Rims on his Ultra Burner and when i did a 360 on it the wheels would bend 90 deg ! great stuff .

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What (no doubt extortionate) price are they nowadays?

13. Brookster

list price on the above was 200

ebay brand new 98 or 149 with SKYWAYS :thumbup:

Classic 80's Burners go for more now than when they were new in the 80's

14. Brookster

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  15. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Well I've been off my bmx since the end of august with a broken collar bone and then our little boy arrived last month so havent had a chance because I need to take care if the wife too. Should be back on it soon

16. Brookster

Fractured my Skull when i was 14 on my Tuff Burner and broke my Wrist when i was 15 in another big OFF.

That was the days when we didn't wear helmets

17. Jommanjo Forum Member

Just seen this thread, WOW, took me right back!!

Was soooo jealous of a neighbour when he rocked up on one of those Tuff Burners!! I liked Andy Ruffle and so hung out for a Mongoose WireWheel, I must have spent days staring at those brochures. Then he moved over to Raleigh! Saw him do a display at the Stour Centre in Ashford, I was starstruck.
    I remember the Raleigh brochure, used to know all the models, was the Ultra Burner the silver/grey one?

I raced at Folkstone BMX track, Folkstone Flyers anyone?! Is the track still there?

I put a laid-back seatpost on mine, and some of those bendy Z-rims, anybody remember those? You could hop it sideways and proper bend the wheel and it would spring back, although too many times would result in a buckle...

We were obsessed with jumping as far as possible, and would cycle for miles to hook up with other BMX'ers in other villages.
    Aaaaaah, endless summers, great times! Misty-eyed post!![:^:]:thumbup:

18. danster Forum Addict

I am not that old that my memory has gone yet. I do remember the Z rims. :thumbup:

I could bunny hop 8 of my mates lying side by side back in the day.
    Prefer all the freestyle flatland stuff myself, like the vid I posted earlier on. It is just amazing, and you know how much effort the lad must have put in to learn and master those moves. :clap:

19. Jommanjo Forum Member

I remember the lads with freestylers - the bikes had the rear calipers under a plate so you could stand on it, behind the seatpost, so cool!
    We used to jump using a piece of metal leant up against a red milk crate.

I guess it's about the time my older cousin parked a Lhasa Mk1 on the drive and started that obsession.
    I'm going to have to find me a retro BMX while I can still fold onto one. More expense - damn these threads!

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Wow - so they've not gone up at all then. Lack of gears I wonder?

How much are the classic Burners worth now? I saw some NOS yellow tube pads going for silly the other month.

Never got involved watching the proper BMX guys who did the crazy stunts (first hand), but was awestruck by it all.