Bored of Lupo GTI. How bout R32?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by girlracer79, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

The R32 has got to be the most fun MK4 to drive.
    Big lump, better engine tone etc., etc.

I've never driven one, but it's has got to be more exciting to drive than the rest of the Mk4 range...

2. Claypole Forum Junkie

R32 might be fantastical but a second hand one will set you back what 17,000 ? [:^(]

There's too much non VW stuff you can buy for the same money that's in a different ballpark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the blinkers away and see stuff VW just don't want to sell, ie. a performance car rather than a standard model that goes faster.They lost the plot the day they killed the Corrado. [8(]

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

All well and good but I think those car cost a bit more to keep than a 3 yr old Golf :lol:

Yes you can buy a TVR for R32 money. :clap:

4. octane Forum Junkie

If you do buy a tvr for the price of a r32, you'll need that again just to keep it on the road.
    The R32 is good value and a top motor! I'd love to own one.

5. Claypole Forum Junkie

Blinkers tbh. :lol:

I'd rather break down in a 911 than arrive in a MK4 Golf. ;) :lol:

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

No blinkers here chap, I'm very open minded about cars, well except French cars, 'kin hate 'em :lol:

7. Claypole Forum Junkie

So you'd honestly go out and spend 17K on a Golf in favour of anything else? :p

8. octane Forum Junkie

Surely it would depend on what your needs are?
    If i had 17k i'd probably buy a R32 over a tvr or the like. Because i like space in my car :)

9. Claypole Forum Junkie

BMW then? :lol:

I'm biased coz I'd have a TVR - no need for the seats for a start, V8 second etc.

I'd have a current Corrado from VW anyday of the week but there isn't one. [:^(]

10. octane Forum Junkie

Aye i'd have a BMW over a R32 if it was V10 :lol:

11. Rallye Forum Junkie

what about a new Polo GTI and some fettling

200hp easy from the 1.8T

12. M1K VW Paid Member Paid Member

Have you test driven an R32 yet? I ain't had a Lupo GTi so can't comment but having had a Mk 4 GTI T, R32 and Mk 5 GTI in rapid succession can say the R32 was the best all-round car of the lot. There are plenty around to choose from if you like 'em.

Re. running costs, variable servicing delays the bills but they're larger bills each visit (mine went 18k before an oil change but that cost 200!), assuming you get one still in warranty.

Insurance was okay, not much more than Mk 4 GTI.

Main thing is, they are nicely set up from the factory and handle well for a hefty car (1,500kg) with a big engine in the front, and have loads of torque and a great engine note, so even mincing along to the shops is an 'occasion'!

13. cold_guppy New Member

Don't see the point in comparing a TVR or a 911 to a golf myself!! Have driven both, they do totally different jobs ;) If it was me - the only reason i'd ditch the lupo is possibly for a bit more luxury offered by the R32... theres my tuppence worth

14. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

The lupo is a great car...a possible engine conversion but ffs not a 20vt i'm sure would bring back that smile. I can see how you would get bored of it after a year...well maybe. I miss (our) old one. I'd swap my mk1 for one any day of the week :lol:

15. girlracer79 New Member

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who's replied to my post......really interesting read.

I am a huge TVR fan too, infact I drove a Tuscan 2 a little while ago and always said I'd have a Griff 500 at least by the age of 25 (I'm now 27) but still cannot afford to keep one or the running costs.

I just think the R32 is really sexy, a real head turner and is probably as rare as the Lupo GTI. I'm not bothered about practicality as such as I'm used to having a boot the size of a postage stamp that only just fits in my sub.

I am hoping to test drive the latest R32 and compare it to the latest Golf GTI for an article I'll write for the motoring supplement of the newspaper I work for. Then I guess I'll have my answer LOL!

16. Dogwood Forum Member

Depends what is boring you about the Lupo. We've got a Lupo gti (uprated brakes and suspension)and a DSG mk5 gti. The Golf is a really nice quickish car with plenty of toys and is a pleasure to drive. The Lupo is not quite as quick or as nice a place to sit, but it gives way more grin factor.
    Drove a new R32 the other day. Really nice noise and throttle response, stightly stiffer damping, but you'd have to drive it really hard to beat a gti on the road.
    If its just outright grunt you're missing, fair enough, but if its something that makes you chuckle, i'd keep the Lupo and maybe spend a few quid on suspension and brakes.

17. NormanCoal Forum Member

I have driven a couple of R32's (and on track twice) and a loop GTI on the road for about 10 mins.

My opinion, if it was as decision on having one over the other would be the Golf - the reason being is that I prefer slightly bigger cars, and the package as a whole has more pluses than the loop. The loop was perhaps a better car to nip around and have fun over tighter twisties, but the R has a bigger and better interior, the engine noise is to die for (esp with mods) and for its size and weight its more than adequate at handling

18. girlracer79 New Member

What sort of times do you think someone could get up at Santa Pod with a standard R32?

19. Golfgirl Forum Member

Not sure on a standard R32, but these are my best times with AMD Stage 2:

R/T: 0.159
    60 Foot: 2.053
    330 Foot: 6.008
    1/8 Mile: 9.309
    1/8 MPH: 71.75
    1000 FT: 12.099
    1/4 Mile: 14.57secs
    1/4 MPH:94.7mph

20. girlracer79 New Member

Wow that's fab!

This is what I got in my first ever run on the strip in my standard Lupo GTI:

Reaction: .553

60ft:2.747

330ft: 7.334

1/8 mile: 11.110

1/8 MPH:64.00

1000FT: 14.256

1/4 mile: 17.065

1/4 MPH: 81.98