BP Ultima vs Shell Optimax

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by VR6Will, Oct 23, 2003.

1. VR6Will Forum Member

cable and wireless, thats just round the corner from my office, let me know

2. S1MMA Forum Member

had the interview today mate, went quite well I think. They said they'll get back to me in the next few days, so have to wait and see what happens. Have already got through an assessment day, so this was like a final interview with the manager of the department I will be working for if I get the job.

Will post result in the next few days! Where do u work mate? I saw quite a few buildings for Dell, 3M, HP etc....

3. VR6Will Forum Member

between 2 dell buildings there is road called milbanke way, its down there basically, on the same side as the BP garage, hope it goes well for you!!

4. Bahnstormer New Member

OakGreen88 - did you buy your car recently - only the guy I sold my Oak Greenie to sold it recently - last three figures on the plate are GAC.

Cheers,

Rob

5. pualo New Member

Simma, if you do end up going to Bracknell, stay well away from the Great Hollands Estate, unless you want your car to be 'looked after' by a load of drug taking, theiving little to&&ers who don't know any better. Its a right hole. Rest of Bracknell is pretty good though.

6. VR6Will Forum Member

Great Hollands is a s@~t hole, stay well away! nah had my oakgreen just under 1yr now!

7. S1MMA Forum Member

k, thx for the advice, will stay away from Great Hollands. If I do get the job, I will be relocating, so any idea's on where is good to live in the area???

8. barny Forum Member

mine used to love optimax, but started to pink on it after cams and head upgrade....

It now loves the ultimate but its kin expensive !!

9. o... New Member

I tried Ultimate in my VR6 and didn't notice much difference over standard unleaded apart from that it pinked less.

Optimax really does make a difference IMO. Faster and smoother for sure, no way it could just be a placebo effect.

Interestingly, the car that felt most different after using Optimax was my old Jetta GTi 16v; it was as if someone put throttle bodies in! It did take 2-3 tanks worth to really notice the difference, though

o :)

10. spnracing Forum Member

I run optimax plus 1 bottle of Millers VSP in every tank. If the ignition is advanced to make use of the extra octane you can make reasonable gains in BHP doing this.

But then you always have to use Optimax AND Millers - which ain't very practical for a road car.

Optimax is 98.4.

11. speedy1 Forum Member

I emailed "shell", they replied "their Optimax fuel is typically 98.6, therefore a guaranteed 98". Dont know bout BP though [:^:]

12. Mike 8v Forum Member

Ultimate is a minimum 97

13. DarrenH Forum Member

ultima is purely their old 97 super rebadged (and in some cases hiked price)

opticrap is actually just 95 ron unleaded with a bunch of octane boosters.

i know which i'd rather use

14. DarrenH Forum Member

aha, found the quote i was looking for. the guy quoted works for an independant company that analyses fuel grades and quality content

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Iv'e started using optimax and noticed huge leaps in power (i was using ron 95 for a while mind in the last rebuild but optimax in this one).
    Edited by: fthaimike

16. robertnes Forum Member

Must admit after running about 2-3 tanks of optimax ive noticed the car runs a lot smoother. I used to have a problem with uneven idling and this is now gone (coincidence?), dont notice any real power gain but i now make a point of filling up with optimax. What ever you do dont get your fuel from the supermarket. optimax versus supermarket fuel is like Stella versus Kestrel.

17. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

optimax for me and i got the optimax card which gives me great benefits as well!!!

always used it in my 8v and 16v!!! brilliant stuff!!!

18. Elijah Forum Member

Just a quick (stupid) question:- Can someone define "pinking" and what it feels/sounds like?

Heard the term for years, and never really know what it is?

Cheers,

Elijah

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

It sounds like a tinny rattle sound coming from behind your dashboard (if your inside) coming from the engine, i thought it was my manifold rattling until i was told.
    It's like someone firing loads of ballbearings into a bucket.

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

S1MMA: Bracknell is great if your a fan of roundabouts and underpasses ;)

Birch Hill is a nice area to live, plus you'll be right near to a Sainsburies and the South Hill Park arts centre which a nice terrace bar, perfect in the Summer time. Crown Wood is nice too, but I prefered living with me parents cos I was 1min walk (5min staggering)away from SHP :)