Broadband supplier advice

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by i.a.n.b, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Seraph Banned

2. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    been with plus for three years infact since the beginning virtually, good customer service etc etc 24 hrs 365 days help - if u need it.... however since they started becoming more commercial the phone lines are quite packed when trying to call - and recently have been bought out by BT!

i`ve been trying to get my "up to 8mb upgrade" for ages now, basically due to line noise i cant get anymore than 1 mb, plus say its due to distance from exchange.... next door are with bt and they get 8mb (now same company in essence).... if i was to look out of the window i can see the exchange its about 1.5 miles away....

infact i think i will ring them now and have a go....

i want to change over but cant be bothered changing email addresses and the like - i was downloading at 60mb/s on 1mb connection earlier using a torrent (if anyone wants info)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  3. Seraph Banned

Tell me!
    Waiting average of 20mins often

Still, the comprehension is a MILLION times better than Tiscali.

Shame about that 1mb. Seems odd too, if I'm only half the distance from exchange that you are, and will (potentially) get 6mb.

4. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

well rumor has itplus.net use a Tiscali type LLU system, and if u are living on the edge of a certain bandwidth speed such as 44/45db which is the limit for 2mb to 1mb you will get frequent disconnects.

on my modem i am on 44db (or what ever the units are), basically i think because next door is with BT, rather than a splinter company such as plus they had their line re-routed or upgraded before ours was done.

thats my outlook on it, probably talking out of my bum.

5. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

just raised a ticket. as i don every 2-3 months

6. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I'll have a go when I'm at home.

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

That test doesn't seem to work, close all programmes using the web, fill in the details, click on the test box and the pages just refreshes.

8. gorilly Forum Member

bethere.co.uk are very good and to be honest one of the only ISPs in the uk to use different technology... even though at work we dont get 24mbit... we still get 11mbps down and around 1.4 up so cant complain... anyone else who said we could get 8mbps... we only ever got about 2

9. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

PlusNet used to have a pretty hot reputation a few years back, then it kinda slid a bit with the whole capping of unmetered services and fair use policy episode, it took another couple of stones when they started loosing customers email.

The problem most internet service providers face is that their service is delivered to you by BT, and if you're having issues with the connection, then you initially have to work through your ISP rather than dealing with BT directly. This can get tiresome, especially when your ISP has recently relocated their callcentre to Bombay [:x]

A good comparison and impartial information site is http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ (formerly known as ADSLGuide)