broken 360, advice please? shall i get a ps3?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Vdubbster, Aug 16, 2008.

1. superden Forum Addict

I bought a 360 Elite a while ago, and I'm very happy with it. My buddies all have 360's and playing against your mates is what online gaming is about. Whether or not the PS3 is better makes no difference to me, as I don't own one ! As for browsers etc, I have a PC and a laptop I can use for that, and they are far better at it. Its all well and good having a 'homogenised' unit that does it all, but generally speaking a jack of all trades is a master of none.

2. voteforpedro Forum Member

RRoD is easy to fix.

Faulty DVD drives are a pain. They aren't expensive to replace (look on eBay) but you must replace it with EXACTLY the same model (they used various different brands and models but only the one you already have will work) and the firmware must be flashed via your computer beforehand.

Look here: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showforum=133

3. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Couldn't agree more ! But if you see the way certain big players (Microsoft, Sony, etc.) are moving in terms of creating and generating technology there are moves afoot to bring together what are at the moment very disparate elements of multimedia. Everything will be at the user's finger tips and all of the content provided will be streamed, hence why there has been a delay in declaring that Blu-Ray is the standard for High Definition storage. It has allowed Microsoft a 2 year development of it's online content and gaming, thus stealing a lead on Sony's Blu-Ray. But for sure in 10 years time gaming 'will' be a very different experience to what it is today, of that there is no doubt. Whether it will be provided by separate machines is debatable of course, but with the rebirth of the console such homogenisation is inevitable. Simply because the manufacturers are greedy and want to provide a 'one-stop-shop' for all end point users, thus creating more revenue and profit. This maybe a good thing but perhaps a bad thing too.

The shift towards consoles is already having an effect upon the quality and versatility of games. We are now seeing an increasing number of PC titles that have been 'ported' from console versions. To be frank they are stunted and very simplistic. The graphics suffer too as they have been programmed to a certain level and not taken further as they could be for pure PC versions. In the long term it will hinder graphics technology too, new chips are designed every 6 months (bad for the consumer, but good for technology evolution). For a console this would be 3-5 years, chip manufacturers would have to scale down their R&D budgets and departments considerably. As ever there are pro's and con's with everything, at the end of the day consumers will decide with their feet as to what is a commercial success and how things progress. One thing is for sure though, there are major changes happening at the moment that are in my view irreversible and will in the long run affect the diversity, evolution and 'quality' of games titles.

4. b'locks Forum Addict

gimmicks? :lol:

u mean built in features which you would expect from a modern games machine and not tacky afterthoughts in the form of add-ons?

5. andypaterson Forum Member

But we also get those too, such as the Play TV device.

6. Daniel-1986 Forum Member

thats what i have a freeview box for

7. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Quoted from elsewhere.
    "Modem > Router > Computer Then USB to Ethernet Adapter that goes to Xbox > Crossover Cable> USB Adapter.
    In Network Connections you should see 2 connections like Local Area Connection 1 and Local Area Connection 2, highlight them both, right click and click on Bridge connections.
    Once thats done open up **** and ****
    connect to your bridge then start tracing to see who your connected to.
    Increase packet size and speed and resend on infinite rate, you will notice with in seconds he will freeze, you can just kill him then, he also may lag out but that rarely happens. Usually you see them glitching and freezing in places."

Or for more secure online gaming get a ps3[:p]

8. Joe16v Forum Member

Or use an ethernet cable from your router??
    I have to an XBOX 360 and i am happy.
    I have no interest in Playstations anymore, PS2 was out for too long and i lost interest in playstation.

At the tme of my 360 purchase i could have gone either way. But GT5 was a long way off (still is) and PS3 was loadsa money. Lets face it GT5 will be a load of *******s unfortunately.

one thing i hate about the 360, its noisey, but it gets a new facility to copy games to HDD which will make it quiet, however i got a rubbish little 20gb HDD,
    havent found a way to use my external HDD as the xboxs HDD, i have got it partly formatted with FAT32 so can watch movies etc on it.

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

A load of brilliance?

I can't wait!

10. Phil. Forum Junkie

ANy news on when GT5 will be released> I've heard it may be as late as 2010! [8(]

11. Joe16v Forum Member

Nah, Testes.

12. Nordoff Forum Junkie

htf will that help when the person with the setup I've described is hosting the game?

13. Joe16v Forum Member

My bad, should have read the post properly, sorry

14. Aphex Forum Junkie

No idea on gt5, I went out and bought a fullhd tv for only gt5.. by the time it comes out it'll be running 1440 or higher most likely :lol:

15. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I've got one recaro seat left over I'm gonna make a frame for, for that really really good steering wheel and pedals.[:$]

16. Aphex Forum Junkie

I like your style [8D]