Budget diy snow tyres

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Gaz37, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-MATCHING-VW...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3efc6079fd

Just saw these on Ebay and came up with a cunning plan.

I've noticed that when the WRC cars do rallies on snow they are always fitted with skinny little pram wheels which I assume are studded.

With this in mind I was thinking that if I bought a set of four space savers & then screwed screws into them I'd have a set of studded snow tyres WRC stylee for the 20 plus a few screws.

I may consider buying loads & flogging for 50 a set when the snow comes again, possibly an idea for the entrepeneurs section

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:lol: :lol:

Only if you fit inner tubes!

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Well I was only thinking of using short screws, hopefully that would negate any need for inner tubes

4. IanH Forum Member

Apart from the screws would be coming in from the inside otherwise they would just rip out, and if you do that you will need to either seal the tyre or visit your local halfords looking for a bizzare inner tube! :lol:

Ian...

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's also to dismiss a blatant C&U offence, but let's not worry about these trifling matters - and instead continue the worthwhile forum R&D! :lol:

6. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Ian, the heads of the screws would act as the studs so there's no issue with screwing tham in from the outside. Besides which why would they rip out? Snow is soft & slippery.

Chris, I cant be bothered to wade through the C&U legislation but I'm willing to bet it doesn't specifically state that you can't screw screws into your spacesaver. Beside which if it's done in the interests of road safety it has to be good thing.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm sure you can't !! IIRC it's to do with damaging the road surface - studded tyres are outlawed in the UK.

8. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

They wouldn't be actually studded they'd be screwed, besides which if you get caught using them you could just say that you drove through a load of spilt screws.

9. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

The only part of the plan that falls down is that the tyres are rated to 50mph max.
    I would fully expect to use them up to motorway speeds.
    If you ground the markings off the sidewalls; i'd take the first set you make off your hands. :thumbup:

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's it :thumbup:

- drove past Gaz's house, road covered in screws, that's all I know Occifer :lol: :lol:

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

The 50 max is to avoid overheating, something that isn't exactly going to happen in snow.

I have researched this most thoroughly[:-B]

12. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

Brilliant! I can see you've put some thought into this. :thumbup:
    Would posidrives work better than slot heads, do you think? I've get thousands of them at work; so re-screwing the tyres during the day wouldn't be an issue. :)

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'm thinking dome headed slot heads, countersunk would be defeating the whole point & it would make sense that slot heads aligned with the slot across the direction of travel would give the most traction.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's precisely this level of thought and detail that marks Club GTI way out high above the competition :thumbup: :lol:

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Indeed it is, although for marketing purposes I may take a photograph of the completed items incorporating a pair of trainers to appeal to the Ed38 members.

16. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

[:$]
    Of course! i'm embarrassed to have even raised the idea.

Will you be selling that tyre foam stuff as well, in case anyone gets a puncture? :thumbup:

17. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I am considering making them puncture proof at the manufacturing stage by filling them with that expanding foam filler stuff from B&Q.

18. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Crikey! When were they outlawed?
    In the 1970s, I had a set of asymetric Metzler studded tyres for my Saabs (it used to snow a lot more in those days). 4.0x15 Crossplies. I know we could not use them for rallying, but I used them to get to work in the winter. Used to **** all over everything on the road. Used to love doing Land Rovers, they thought they were the only things that could get anywhere.
    It appears I once may have broken the law!!!!!!!!!

p.s. In Sweden, for ice racing, they used to fasten sharpened bolts fitted from inside, with a nut and washer on the outside. Ice speedway also. In Sweden, in winter all you can hear as cars go past, is the scratchy, scratchy of the studs. Everyone fits them!

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Europe too - any ski resort you go to, all the buses are on chains and the minibuses have studs.

I think tanks are ok in the UK, but then again, who's asking? :lol:

20. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

Don't bother doing my set i've got some foam left over...

[​IMG]

...from last year.:)