Caged track car insurance - who are people using?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by A.N. Other, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just been quoted 365 on a Mk2 2.0 16v track car by HIC. Brentacre (my current insurer) couldnt get anywhere near the price at 499. Even though i told them they were in danger of losing my business for both this and my current Renaultsport Clio when its due for renewal in May.

2. Admin Guest

Try REIS they are predominatly race car and only require an MSA licence to prove this (they cost 35.00). They have a grown up approach to mods - they do not want to know what you have done as the list is usually far to long...etc They where nearly half the price of Brentacre and HIC.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

But to obtain an MSA license, you first need to have completed an ARDS test dont you?

4. Admin Guest

MSA licence or a local motorsport Club membership card. And to answer your question, no see here.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Were REIS open to decent mileage? Competition insurance I've found fairly miles restrictive and not cheap.

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Edit: Ok, so ARDS only applies for a Race License?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. Admin Guest

Im not sure, I dont do decent mileage so only enquired for my needs. Give them a ring they were great on the phone with me. :thumbup:

8. Admin Guest

For sprinting and hillclimbs its not 'racing' so only a MSA licence is required, if you are rallying, circuit racing with others on track then yep you needs ARD's, I think some sprint clases require ARD's as well - single seaters, sports libra?

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just had confirmation my Non Race National B license is on the way. :thumbup: Will see what the other companies say when i get it. Gotta be worth a punt for 39.

10. barny Forum Member

I've been spitting fur over my renewal from brentacre..... and to read that your price is EXACTLY the same as mine is taking the f00king ****[:x][:x][:x]

I'm 36, driving a 23yr old car thats currently sorned and will be for the forseeable future as i'm cycling (way too much) and cant justify the expense. Full NCB, limited mileage, classic car etc etc etc.Its got more alarms/immobilisers and locks than you can imagine and is quite safe atm thankyou.

So its a blanket price for you and me even tho we live in completly different areas, and i tought these things where tailord to each customer? Obviously not!

Not amused[:x]

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Try HIC then matey. Or better still, do what i have done in anticipation of finding a suitable car and applied for an MSA Non Race National B License, to try and get Competition Car insurance with road cover. :thumbup:

12. barny Forum Member

Each insurance company leaves a bad taste in my mouth, if they want my money then ******* work for it... i have to very bloody hard! I expect them to keep me happy not just brush me off with a general quote. I've effectively owned this car, or parts of, since summer 1997, 14years!

I'll test REIS tomorrow, if a need a licence then so be it.

13. barny Forum Member

Um, not been on here much lately.....

Are you retiring the Clio? [:$]

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I want to play with all the other VWs. [:$]

15. barny Forum Member

I can understand, i hated being out of mine.

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Clio is amazing. But my home is here, and i want to take part in the events all you guys do.

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

REIS were hopeless unfortunately. 500. Feck that. For 5k road miles on a competition car based policy. Only with an agreed value of 4k.

If i wanted 2k miles, no agreed value. 382. Still way too dear. Id blow 2000 miles on the ring trip.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Did they mention engine horsepower at all?

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Nothing. Just engine capacity.

20. danster Forum Addict

So my 220 quote for my green rocco looks pretty good then?
    I declared the cage, suspension, brake, engine mods. TBH it would have been easier telling them what was not modified. :lol: