Cam?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 'VRL', Mar 20, 2005.

1. 'VRL' Forum Member

Next major mod to do on my car is to replace the cam with something a little more lively. Does anyone have any recomedations for manufacturer. I'm looking to get one that comes on at about 2.5k - 3k.

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

1800 8v Digifant???

Kent GS2H/TSR 202/Newman 272 would be my choices ;)

Phillip Walker off this very forum is a Newman dealer too ;)

3. 'VRL' Forum Member

I think its a digifant, going by the drawings in the Haynes book thats what the inlet looks to be.

What sort of price should I expect to pay for one of those cams? and would i need a new pully to go with it??

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

The car in your sig pic is a Digi :)

Believe Mr Walkers prices are very reasonable....send a PM to PhillipWalker ;)

A Vernier isnt normally necessary unless the head has been seriously worked/skimmed although it all depends on the way the cam has been ground..

Certainly an advantage to have a Vernier so everything is spot on.. ;)

5. Kingsley Forum Member

a gs2h and vernier will sting you for about 250notes..

but i did gain significantly with a pulley so i give them the thumbs up.

6. 'VRL' Forum Member

Nice one cheers guys. I am going to get hold of a head and open it out, I have been porting heads for a couple of years now with some v.good results too, then treat it to a fresh set of everything and new cam [:D] ;)

What other mods can I do to this engine? I dont want to do too much that it will cost a fortune to get the ecu re-mapped. When it gets to that stage i will change it to carbs

7. Kingsley Forum Member

if u plan 2 go down the carbs route, get a crossflow head, and a 2.0l bottom end m8

8. 'VRL' Forum Member

Do they do an 8v in cross flow form? or do I have to go with 16v?

9. zoid Forum Member

Porting heads, DIY with a dremmel, or have you been doing it more seriously?

10. philip walker Forum Member

Chris
    Thanks for the mention.....
    Vrl.....
    The Newman 8V cams are available in 268 272 or 276 deg duration "off the shelf". Custom profiles are also available, as are 16V cams.
    The 268 or the 272 would the choice, as suggested you would should not need the vernier in the first instance, as the cams are cut to standard timing marks.

11. 'VRL' Forum Member

Naa, a bit more serious than the dremmel :lol:

Emailed Kentcams yesterday and got some info from them today, I have had their cams in other cars and rate them well compared to Piper etc, but what are they like in Golfs?
    As much help/info as poss would be great as I only want to have to buy one and not keep buying them until I get the results I'm after if you see what I mean.

12. zoid Forum Member

So are doing it for a living?
    Reason I ask is that I'm currently looking for a 16v, but if I can't find one soon'ish then I'll be looking at giving my 8v a makeover...

13. chrismc Forum Junkie

What kind of results are you after cam wise then, & what is the exact spec of the motor??

I had a "few" cams in my 8v during the time I owned it.. [:$]

14. 'VRL' Forum Member

At the mo the engine is standard, but I am planning on working a head for it and hopefuly putting it on 40's or 45's which ever is more suitable.
    I am looking for a cam that has a good mid-high power band from around 2.5 - 3k upwards. If I can leave it one standard injection aswell for the time being that would be an advantage too.

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

Carbs are a waste of time/effort on an 8v unless you can go down the x-flow head route (new Beetle). In which case its pointless working the present head..

If you stick with the digi head on carbs you will suffer loads of heat soak up from the exhaust, the brake servo needs relocating & the economy will be dire...

Best off going for a decent spec head & sticking with injection IMHO. Stage 2 is the best all round (with 35mm exhaust valves) Add some flowing to the inlet manifold, & 4 branch & a lightened flywheel & away you go...

Something around a Schrick 272 or 276 is ideal unless you are going for a capacity increase.. ;)

16. 'VRL' Forum Member

Tell me more about the new beetle head swap, is it a direct swap or is it a pain in the arse?

17. chrismc Forum Junkie

Well I contemplated it on my 8v but couldnt justify the cost, especially when my new car became available....

I believe oakgreen88 has done a x-flow conversion on his car so well worth sending him a PM.. ;)

18. falcor Forum Member

Hope you dont mind me jumping into the discussion with a question.

Sounds like you guys have alot of knowledge when it comes to different cams so I'm hoping for some help. I've just started a 2.0 8v build using a 3A block and a 1.8GTI JJ head. I'm going to have the head rebuilt with new valve guides etc. The question is what cam to use for this engine. I was thinking either a Shrick 276 or a Piper 280, would that be ok or should I go with something else?

Other mods that will go into this engine is lightened flygwheel (2,5kg), Audi 5cyl TB with matched manifold, 4-2-1 exhaust manifold + 2" custom exhaust, GTI 16v fuel diz or possibly a Saab turbo fuel diz.

First post here so dont bash me to hard... [8(]:)

/Mats http://www.desertwind.se

19. chrismc Forum Junkie

Well Piper cams are questionable...so you can't go far wrong with a Schrick 276... [:D]

20. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Chris what car / engine have you got these days?