Can I have some good, sound advice please?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by yamz89, Nov 17, 2010.

1. yamz89 Forum Member

Quick bit'o background

I'm 21, student, run a mk2 8v gti (in my sig), Insurance costs me around 800 full comp on 8k miles a year.

My problem is i want more power. I've had the GTi on the road since march. Its a tidy car, i love it, pulls hard for what it is. Rolling road proved its 110bhp. For a while its felt quick but after getting used to it i feel i need more power. The honeymoon periods over. Feels on the corners like i'm a missle but on the straights i'm just standing still.

I know i could throw money at this car but at the end of the day, its just a tidy 8v and i'd hate to mod a nice example.

The question is are their any decient, fun alternatives out there for the same-ish money but that have a significant amount, more power than what i'm running at the moment?

I've been thinking of getting a solid 3-door mk2 valver for a while now. Works out to be the same on the insurance but its an extra 30bhp on mine now - Is it worth all the fuss of selling and buying just for 30 brake?

I need help, need to scratch this itch! [:s]

2. Willber Forum Member

Suppose you have a couple of options:

1) Sell and buy valver
    2) Engine Conversion
    3) Buy MK3 16v

Option 1 is probably least cost effective depending on how much car you get for your money, option 2 is time/space permitting. Option 3 is probably most value for money as MK3's do not command high prices generally as they are less desirable than the MK2. If your car is a decent model then you would get reasonable money for it.

Maybe you need something completely different style?

3. yamz89 Forum Member

Cheers for the reply :thumbup:

1) Possibility as my budget from selling my car would go to the valver, equalling no loss if i play my cards right.

2) Engine conversion is out of the question on this car, its too straight and clean, i reakon i'd get 2.5k easy on this.

3) I've been in a MK3 16v and I didnt really think it was that fast?

4) Different car - Been looking at Turbo cars. I could get a MK1 Octavia VRS for 2-3k and insure it for 900 nicker?

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

I'd go with an engine swap personally, you know you've got a decent shell and it's certainly not going to damage the value of it!

5. yamz89 Forum Member

I wouldnt know where to start on the engine transplant front. Plus if i get to transplated i'd have to tell the insurance company and then it would go through the roof

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

if it were mine id put a 2E bottom end in it,ive seen the difference when i did my mates,it was fairly easy to get the 2E block and cheap (albeit a pita to get the timing right) but well worth it in the end

7. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Plenty of people willing to help you out on here, you've gotta start somewhere, I learnt almost everything I know about MK2's through this forum! I couldn't have identified most of the components under the bonnet when I first signed up, I finished mounting a 2nd engine in the boot of my current MK2 this year :lol:

As above, just go for something reeeeaaally straightforward like a 2.0 bottom end to start with, which will look identical to your 1.8 so insurance would never have to know [:^:]

8. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

ooo the power bug, hasnt hit me yet but its only a matter of time, lots of people going the ABF route for their mk2's at a reasonable cost, whats your budget?

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

There are a few ABF conversions that look very tidy for 1500ish

10. SpacyG60 New Member

i think you should live with what you have till you can afford an ABF conversion etc

11. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I had an ABF conversion in my 1989 Corrado and then went like stink!

I've since sold it and bought a Leon Cupra. They really have come down in price and are really nice cars! I got mine for 2k.

12. yamz89 Forum Member

I hear you, ive done all the work on my gti, cambelt, brakes, isv, servo etc I know my way around the car but i don't have the space or time to get the engine out. After i'd have the engine out i wouldnt have the first clue how to do all the wiring for the ecu and clocks.

Ive heard of the 2ltr bottom end conversions, sound pretty cool but ABF is pulling some strings. Some people said ABF conversions cost around 1500?? Where from?

Is it easy to do on my Digifant, or is KJet a better basis to start from?

13. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

An ABF conversion will cost 500 quid if you're brave. There's a couple of people on here that will do the swap for the right price.

14. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I did my ABF conversion all in all for just under 600 - that included all the new bits I bought, Cambelt, tensioner, gaskets, clutch, hoses, engine, crane hire, oil, various nuts and bolts...

15. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

mk3 vr6 highline or something like THIS?

16. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

I assume it's pre 1990 if it's small bumper (going by sig)? It's a little more involved but still no biggedy!

The 2.0 16v swap into my MK2 made me about 100 profit :lol:

17. chrismc Forum Junkie

As harsh as it sounds- you should be patient and wait for circumstances to dictate that an engine swap is practical.

Forget 2L 8v. Without a proper head it will only ever give a jump in midrange torque with no real increased feeling of urgency at the top end.

The engine needs to come out to do the swap anyhow- so you are just as well going the whole hog and going for an ABF.

If it isn't practical now then just wait.

Concentrate on other areas of the car to maximise. Uprated roll bars, lightening, poly bushes, bigger brakes. These will improve the drive no end and the car will just require a decent motor to put the icing on the cake

18. yamz89 Forum Member

Different angle, but what do you lot think of the old Audi S2's?

19. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

I think you would struggle to get insurance on an S2 at your age. They are group 21 or something silly. Ive never owned one (always liked the look of them and almost bought a 16v coupe once) but i have heard they can be massive money pit if the quattro system goes wrong.

Good luck in your decision - but a mk2 gti at 21 is decent!

D

20. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Would love an S2, just got rid of the V6 version (same shape, 50 less bhp) lovely lovely car, really great, and 4wd feels a million times nicer, but mind bogglingly slow!

I imagine an S2 would be a more complete package but they also cost around 10x as much as the lower models...