Can you recode modules with VCDS lite - permanently disable ESP on V6?

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by Dennis10, Apr 1, 2014.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Seen a thread that said the s3 boys had to add 2 to the result get this to work
    Could be worth trying adding +- 2 3 4 to 0020500 to see if you can get it work
    Worth a try

2. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

No luck with this at all - I want the ESP gone!!! [:x]lol

Why do I have to have a module that almost no-one else seems to have.. had to be my car didn't it!

Anybody else have any good ideas or can put me onto the trail of someone who might know about this?

Do you reckon if I just ring up Audi and ask for the codes they will give them to me?! :p

3. MUSHY 16V

Aye could be worth a try asking Audi
    someone i know had a 3.2 TT i'll ask him if he had his coded out i dont think he did
    but he has on he bora that has a 3.2 TT engine in it and has the esp coded out
    he may even have a TT ABS module left over if he's not sold it
    should see this weekend

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Ring Ring
    Audi: Hello
    Dennis: Hi, can I have the ECU codes to turn of my ESP?
    Audi: What?
    Dennis: Can I have the ECU codes to turn of my ESP?
    Audi: Let me pass you to our technical department.
    Dennis: OK
    Audi Tech: Hello
    Dennis: Hi, can I have the ECU codes to turn of my ESP?
    Audi Tech: What?
    Dennis: Can I have the ECU codes to turn of my ESP via the diagnostics?
    Audi Tech: If you bring the car in we can look at it for you. Cost is 6squillion/hour, plus parts.*
    Dennis: I don't need you to do it, I just need the codes.
    Audi Tech: I'm sorry, I can't give those to you, as they're the property of Audi. If you bring the car in we can look at it for you. Cost is 6squillion/hour, plus parts.*
    Dennis: No they're not, they're all over the internet. I just need the correct ones for my car.
    Audi Tech: I'm sorry, but that's not possible. If you bring the car in we can look at it for you. Cost is 6squillion/hour, plus parts.*
    Dennis: Hangs up.

* Translation: I haven't a clue what he wants, but I know I can charge 6squillion/hour, plus parts if we plug that cable in to his car.

Dennis10 likes this.
  5. nealey Forum Junkie

Can guarantee if you were to phone audi they won't know the code and won't know how to find it, they also won't turn it off for you even if by some remote chance they do know the code to turn it off, if they turn it off and then you go down the road and wipe out the first bus stop full of pensioners that you find they will be in a very difficult position!

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

lol

That is pretty much every conversation ever with any VAG staff! Brilliant! :thumbup:

Cheers Mushy, if your mate has a 3.2 it's worth a shot!

I can understand how Audi would need to cover themselves, it's just annoying because it was an optional recall on early models IIRC, and then introduced in all it's glory (lol) in later models. It is insufferably sh*te though. The point of a performance car where most of the performance is killed when you drive it in an enthusiastic way is.... Answers on a postcard!

Wheel hop!! ARGHGH [:x]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. MUSHY 16V

it would depend on who you get but my guess would be what sparrow said thats Audi down to a tee lol

8. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Found this interesting post on a TDI forum regarding the MK60 ABS module that someone is also having difficulty finding correct codes to disable it (not the same as mine either)

I did figure out that if you unplug a "yaw" sensor it disables the real ESP and the ASR (traction control part of it). Cool thing is that as when you plug it back in the light goes right off. It doesn't store a code or anything. That and when you unplug the ESP switch it doesn't mess anything up. MEANING I'm off to unplug my ESP (leaving it's plug hang) and splice the esp switch into the yaw sensor wiring so when I hit the switch it truly disables everything and not traction control only. The only hiccup I've found is it that the ESP switch is a momentary switch so you have to get another switch that isn't (Like the defrost or I found a foglight switch from an Audi on ebay that fits the same slot). You have to switch faces of the switch and do some minor mod to the tabs. I haven't done it yet but this is what I've figured out and plan and do. Wish me luck

This might be a viable option - disable a YAW sensor and/or wire in a simple switch on it so it is possible to really disable the ESP via a switch. Hoping that won't affect the ABS though, would like to keep that, but turn everything else off.

9. MUSHY 16V

spoke to him he didnt have his coded out he didnt know how to do it at that time
    he asked if your's dsg?

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have you looked into disabling the steering angle sensor with software coding?

I have read elsewhere that its possible to do so on mk4 Golf platform.

Just trying to find where I saw it..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    nealey and MUSHY 16V like this.
  11. MUSHY 16V

thats what they do on the mk5 golfs not sure if it works on the mk4 platform
    no harm in looking though

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Found post on another forum, PM'd poster..no response as yet..

13. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Cheers for all the responses guys! :thumbup:

Mushy - mine is a DSG model, yes

Gary, I have heard about the steering angle sensor, as far as I could make out after wading through lots of forum content, it works in the same way as the above quote I posted regarding the YAW sensor, which you can just unplug. The thing is I don't really like the idea of having to fiddle about with sensors themselves in order to 'fool' the ECU into doing something, I'd much rather turn it off in VCDS as there is definitely an option in there to do this, it's just finding the correct code. I also am not confident that this option doesn't also disable the ABS, which I would probably prefer to keep. Although I have heard that disabling the ABS on these doesn't disable the brake biasing, so it is safer than what I had going on with my mk3 16v GTI, when the ABS module wasn't working.

Still, needs must! lol I might end up doing it this way...!

**EDIT**

I think I've found the thread where that above quote was from;

disable YAW - disable ESP

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  14. MUSHY 16V

Aye that's what my friend said about the dsg he said it's tied into the engine ecu may be the abs module as well in some way
    That's probably why the abs module can't be coded most likely only has the one soft coding to stop you doing anything like this

Interested to hear if unplugging the yaw sensor works