Car has no ignition power or dash lights.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by jhonyquest97, Oct 15, 2013.

1. jhonyquest97 New Member

It's an 87 with a 16 valve and cis. She I turn the key nothing happens. Literally. No dash lights no fuel pump no starter clickng. I've checked the battery with digital charger and tried the jump the car. Banged on the new starter, swapped ecus, checked fuses, replaced a cracked ignition switch, and now I'm stuck. What could cause no power what so ever.

2. dubba Forum Member

power to the fusebox?

3. jhonyquest97 New Member

I mean it's gotta be something like that. Bad ground or frayed wire.

Does anyone know if there is a better wiring solution maybe from another year to replace this one with??

4. jhonyquest97 New Member

Bump for anything

5. mono matt Forum Member

You said new starter, did your problems start after fitting it?

If so is there an earth attached to it?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

battery + alternator cables from mk3 gofl are a good upgrade. only thing is you may find the earth ring doesnt reach the battery tray stud, if not just make up your own chunky earth cable for this or pikey something suitable out the scrapper.

check the live and earth cables for the fusebox at the battery, they will most likely be grotty and ready to fall off so clean them up and put fresh rings on.

do you get any power at all into the car, does the clock light up? ciggy lighter? blowers, lights and wipers etc?

7. jhonyquest97 New Member

Nope nothing. No power at all.

8. H8V

h8v Forum Member

When my 1990 PB did this a couple of weeks ago it was the ignition switch. One of the copper contacts inside had bent. It turns out that this was because it had overheated due to a short caused by worn insulation in one of the cables in the bundle above the speedo cable.

I fixed the ignition switch without knowing the cause, and soon after the short happened again, damaging about 15 cables above the speedo cable. All these cables needed repairing, and also melted a hole in the brake servo vacuum pipe!

All fixed now.

To get the warning lights back on and fuel pump running I had to get to the back of the ignition switch and bridge the big red wire and smaller black one.

Does your fuel pump run when you switch on?

h8v.

9. jhonyquest97 New Member

Nope. Literally nothing happening. So if I bridge the ignition red to red and black to black it should work if it's the ignition switch or key ignition. Even tho it's a new switch but maybe there's a short.

10. dubba Forum Member

Get a multimeter and check drop the fusebox see if your getting power to it!

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok if there is no power whatsoever its not the ignition switch, as aboe drop the fusebox down and check round the back. you should have 2 thick red cables to the spades on the back, one comes direct from the battery +ve the other goes off to the ignition switch, check you have 12v there.

the main earth for the fusebox from the battery -ve is in the lighting loom, it should have a double white spade socket on it. This then plugs into a 4 pin spade socket which should have a wire up to the earth claw above the fusebox and another wire to it from the white engine loom plug D, this is the main earth for the fusebox so if it has fallen off you'll loose pretty much everything

jhonyquest97 likes this.
  12. H8V

h8v Forum Member

OK then, how about running a lead directly from the battery to the big red cable on the ignition switch, then turning on the ignition and seeing if that gets some systems going.

Given that you seem to have nothing working, it's got to be something very early on in the system. Once you find it, everything will be fixed.

Perhaps the battery earths could be one place to look.

If you don't have a meter, then a 12 volt bulb on a couple of pieces of wire could be a help to finding where, if anywhere, you have some power!

I know it can be very frustrating, but my experience is that it is all too obvious when you do find the fault.

h8v.

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Is it alarmed. I had to remove mine to get my ignition back working.

14. jhonyquest97 New Member

Great info thank you!! I will post up results on Sunday!

As far as alarm, there isn't one. People can even open the doors normally lol.

15. jhonyquest97 New Member

So here's my findings. Sorry I took so long. I ran into problems at work.

[​IMG]

First image I found 12.33v going to and from two of the harnesses. The blue harness had 12v when I opened it up and tested from the inside. Didn't have anything leaving the harness. However there was 12v going to the relay box via thick red wire.

[​IMG]
    This is the plug for the ignition switch. 12v going to the red wire.
    If I were to bridge the red arrow(red wire) and yellow arrow (black/red) wire would that act as though I turned the key?

[​IMG]

Lastly here's the fuse box. Red wires test at 12v. I placed the neg wire from my multimeter on the white wire and pos on the red and it read 12v. Does that mean the ground is good?

Any thoughts....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  16. dubba Forum Member

Never seen a fusebox like that before?

17. jhonyquest97 New Member

It's a US made golf gt.

18. dubba Forum Member

Ahh that would be why , in your first picture underneath the brake pedal theres a random red wire which looks like it goes back up to the steering column area? It doesnt look connected fusebox end?

edit: could be clutch pedal lol

19. jhonyquest97 New Member

Haha yea clutch pedal. That's my fog light wires that ran to the center console piece.

Is there a list of locations for ground wires so that I know I'm not missing any

20. jhonyquest97 New Member

So I. Found three different grounds in the bay. Maybe I'm missing some.

1 battery to the Trans support

2 firewall to the area above the distributor

3 battery to the drivers side fender

4 passengers side fender area to the rear block.

Am I missing any?