Car has no ignition power or dash lights.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by jhonyquest97, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

If you have 12v at the Red on the ignition switch plug, I'd use a continuity tester at each pin on the plug. Test from each pin, back to where each wire terminates.

Also, if you can pop the plug back on the ignition switch, use a 12v test light on the back of the plug when you turn the key/ignition on. If you then get voltage coming OUT of the switch go from there.

Neil.

2. jhonyquest97 New Member

If I don't have 12v out then what.
    If i do just follow them to where they terminate?

3. jhonyquest97 New Member

Btw thanks to everyone for real replays. More than. I?be gotten out of the US forums.

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

If you don't have 12v out then it suggests a problem from the ignition switch back...If you do have 12v out then follow the live out, and you can then look at potential relay/other wiring issues. :thumbup: I always work with leccy bits kind of methodically.

Admittedly though it's been too long since I've properly played with a Vw! and I can't remember the proper wiring method of the ignition switch sorry mate. I had loads of diagrams on the old pc that died unfortunately.

Neil.

jhonyquest97 likes this.
  5. jhonyquest97 New Member

So I just tested it. There's 12v in at the harness. Nothing coming out when plugged in and key turned. I just replaced the ignition switch... Soo. Lol. I need a drink.

6. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Nothing at all coming from any terminal/wire on the back of the ignition switch plug with ignition on?

That points to possible faulty switch again...Unlikely but can't rule it out with that outcome.
    You can bridge to test, but I'm not familiar with all of the wiring colours I see in your pic from the back of the plug being U.S spec.

Also, a word of advice. If you find out which to bridge (Following the wires to fuse box and giving terminal numbers will help) remember to make sure the car's in neutral/not in gear etc before jumping connections. Good idea to use a bit of wire with an inline fuse too.

Neil.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah yes the lovely US spec fusebox, why they decided not to use the german wiring in these cars I dont know :lol:

yes pun 30 on the ignition switch is the main live feed input to the ignition switch, the black wire is your main ignition live for the fusebox, coil, ecu etc. if you simply bridge between them with a length of wire this should be enough to switch the ignition on, if it still does nothing then trace the black wire all the way along checking for damage. dont forget to look at the pins both ends as well, could be the wire has fractured in the crimp!

I do actually have mitchel wiring diagrams for this fusebox if it'll help you?

8. jhonyquest97 New Member

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt!! Only thing special is that's it's a gt. Made in west moorland pa. So I know they used slightly different stuff. It's been a bit cold outside (just below freezing) so haven't done much work. None the less any diagrams are helpful.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok just uploaded em to my google docs, golf88sy and golf88wd.pdf :)