cheap air impact gun/wrench

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by G60KG, Dec 2, 2009.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Can someone recommend a cheap 1/2 drive impact gun. this will help a lot especially whilst breaking a car in this cold weather. I have seen Sealey ones on ebay for 25 new will this do the job? I dont need and fancy ingersoll stuff just something that will do the job well. also decent cheap sockets and best places to buy

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

machine mart do a mains one for around 60. Thinking of getting one myself

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

wanted to spend less than that also needed an air one as Ive managed to get hold of a compressor with line.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the machine mart clarke one... its heroic

for things like pulley bolts (those tiny 6mm allen things) it gets them off perfectly every time

mine is worth its weight in gold and it had a bloody good go at undoing really tight things too

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Is it this one?

[​IMG]

I thinkl they use alot of air so may need a powerful compressor.

Cheapest air one they have .

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cat101-impact-wrench/path/air-ratchets-wrenches

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

whats the minimum torque figure to go for? i need to make sure the compressor can handle it. Also is twin hammer a must or will one do?

7. seanr68 Forum Member

To be honest mate, i've learn't that cheap isn't always the best route. I aren't loaded so i've nearly always bought cheaper stuff but, you gets what you pay for. I bought an air impact wrench from Halfrauds, got it home and tried it on my wheel nuts....big let down.
    Not only did i end up having to loosen them off first but, it wouldn't even touch them when trying to tighten them up, even after cleaning the bolts and copper greasing.
    It came in a 5piece kit made by SIP, the impact chisel didn't work so i took that back and got a working replacement. The thing is my compressor is up to the job(2.5hp and flows i think 10cfm) so its adequate, just bargain tools aren't always the bargain they seem to be.
    On a more positive note, The compressor was only 79.99 from ALDI of all places!! It came with 2 spray guns, 5 and 10metre hoses, air brush kit(absolute diamond bit of kit) tyre inflator and air gun thingy. Its been a brilliant buy and has served me well.
    If you find a good impact wrench thats cheap enough, let me know cos i need one. lol:thumbup:

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

just need a minimum sort of spec to go for really. and I am trying to stick with brands that I have heard of like sealey and not 'eurotool' or some moc chinese company.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir13c-1-2in-impact-wrench-kit-12v

this one, cost peanuts and they really are fantastic

we were working on an e30 that was being scrapped a few years ago, we wanted to keep the rear beam, steering rack and front wishbones but they couldnt come off until the car was in the air going on the back of the truck

with the 12v gun and a car battery we got it all done, just followed the car around as it swung off the ground onto the back of the truck and the gun undid the lot

one of the best 20s ive spent in years

10. Supercharged Forum Member

H eneeds an air wrech though and as above the cheap ones are no good - some barely undo wheel bolts let alone hubnuts, rusted suspension bolts etc...

Keep an eye on Snap-on / Bluepoint ones on eBay - I managed to pick up a brand new BP one for 50 and it's superb, works off my 50Ltr comp fine (8.3cfm) and only slightly struggles with hub nuts and you have to wait for the comp to kick in before then undo.

Also only get a 1/2" drive - no real point getting 3/8"s

11. seanr68 Forum Member

Might have one of them if its as good as you say.

12. GtSpec

GtSpec Forum Member

Universal tools are very good. They are British made. I use them on my own personal train set i.e. work ;)

13. MarcN Forum Member

I had one of those. It lasted all of 5 mins literally. Granted the first bolt it undid perfectly, but the next one seed to kill it. I guess you get what you pay for.

14. mk28vICED Forum Member

Sealey SA2,
    4 torque settings, forwards and reverse, nice and cheap and good.
    undid all the bolts on a subframe today no problem, rack, ARB, Balljoints, w'bones, engine mount bolts etc.

15. seanr68 Forum Member

Wish i'd logged in here sooner. Just bought this on ebay: 170414092848
    Hope its a good un, it were cheap enough.:thumbup:

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

What `train set` do you have/work on? I`m in the same game. :thumbup:

We use Draper (I think...) air impact wrenches. Utterly bulletproof, and extremely powerful (will easily undo M20 bolts torqued to 400Nm+)

We also have a 1" drive one that`ll undo bolts torqued at 1600Nm. Sounds like a V8! :lol:

At home I have a cheap battery powered Blue Point knock-off (Blue Spot). Been invaluable, and even though I have to crack really tight bolts off first, it`s spot on.

Torques up to about 180Nm, so is ideal for top-mounts, etc.

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

18. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Air powered impact wrenches will only be as good as your compressor allows. If you have a cack compressor the best impact wrench will still be crap. Check your compressor's PSI output.

I've moved on to cordless electric impact guns: a 34v DeWalt one and a Snap-On 14.4V. The problem is cost as they are 550 and 280 respectively. A plug in the wall job is the cheapest alternative, but less versatile.

19. mk28vICED Forum Member

surely its not the psi but the cfm cubic ft /min? of the compressor that matters.
    im sure even the worst compressor has the 90psi or so required for an impact gun?

20. seanr68 Forum Member

Yup, CFM is the thing you look for.
    It seems a lot of guns require around 4.5-6cfm. The compressor i have is only a small thing but it says it flows 9cfm. The thing is it only has a 50litre res which mean it'll be constantly running. [:s]