Cheap Engine Crane

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Richard Mk2, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Alright Guys...

Does anyone know of any good places to purchase a decent engine crane from, preferably under 150... :thumbup:

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

we still have the 1980's legend with no wheels (that turn) if you just need a cheap (free) quick fix over a weekend??

3. Richard Mk2

Yea cheers mate. :thumbup:

Will keep that in mind. The only thing is bringing it back in the MK4 LOL ...

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

it folds up (unbelievably!!!) we probably won't take it back for another month.... it is a slight pain but if your just doing it once then best to save the 150 i think

5. Richard Mk2

Yea thats true mate, thanks...

Will most likely come up next weekend if thats cool :thumbup:

6. Admin Guest

ebay is a good place to look, picked up a really good one for 100 from there not so long ago that was local.

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Did the same, picked one up 100 that was used for one change and cost the bloke 160 from Machine mart. That being said I think Machine mart do one brand new for under 150.

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ thats what put me off, every bugger was bidding upto 130 for second hand one's when new was 150. Do anything to save themselves 20 ebay muppets.

9. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I hired mine from HSS and it cost me 29 for the weekend!

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ did that last time, didn't get it done in time so had to hire it again, plus vat was 35 so X 2 and your knocking on the door of 70 when you can buy one (allegedly!!) for 100

11. Admin Guest

thats ebay for you, full of fckwits who don't know the value of stuff.

mine was 100, the times i've used it, if you take into consideration hire costs, has paid for itself:thumbup: [:D] brothers caddy and then my GTI.

and i'll get my money back when selling it:)

12. Raider Forum Member

Machine Mart do them.. Was loooking at them last time I was in there. Around 165 IRC.

I've always hired them when needed.. But usually have access to a Digger or something to lift with,

13. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Decent bit of rope, a scaffold pole and a polish immigrant. Change out of a tenner :thumbup:

14. Admin Guest

if you are going to use rope, make sure you are no where near it when in use.
    Of course Polish immigrants are cheap by the dozen and perfect for such a task.

Chains aren't really that much btw;)

15. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Why are engine cranes so expensive? There's not really a lot to them..

I need to try and find an engine crane to lend for next month.. My next door neighbour says his garage has something in the roof with a pulley system for use with engines so might check that out..

16. James_mk2 Forum Member

I'm sure a guy i used to know built one out of a 2-ton bottle jack and some box-section steel for about 50 but it didn't fold away so he had to cut it up and re-weld the legs when he needed to transport it :lol:

17. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

got 1.5 ton of ebay for about 120/130ish brand new. they do delivery to and had loads in stock. if you have a scan of the tools section I posted up details at the time.

quality good, bit heavy but folds away and dose exactly what 's needed.

18. lufbramatt Forum Member

i got mine from ebay from a place in essex for about 90, it was another 30 for delivery but i went and collected it. it was exactly the sme as a sealey one but without the sealey stickers on. did me fine for my ABF conversion.

once id finished with it i sold it on edition38 for 100 :lol:

19. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Knocked mine up ,bit of scrounged box section and jack i already had so only cost the mig wire and gas, dosnt fold up but dosnt need to.

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Richard for a GTi 8v engine you don't really need to use the engine crane, I know countless people that have done it using trolly jacks or a B&Q trolly or something like that. 2 guys could lift the engine to be honest.