Cheap Remaps are they worth it or any good

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by altern8, May 5, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

There seem be loads of cheap remaps about but are they really any good or are they rubbish?

how are they differnt to say a 500 revo or superchip map?

Cheers
    Craig

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

find out if its a generic map that is added or whether they write it specifically for your car

what car is it for?

3. altern8 Forum Junkie

mk5 140bhp tdi

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

speak to a more specific board.... dont go on recommendations alone, you need to see dyno plots

a lot of people will think/feel their car is quicker because it has a s*** power delivery.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/archive/index.php?t-3264.html

this is a perfect reminder. the apr plot is so much better, its all about the delivery

5. Collie Forum Junkie

i got mine chipped/remapped by more-bhp.com , it was very keenly priced compared to other firms.

in my experience his generic map has been good, the power is delivered well, no torque spikes, very smooth power delivery. not been rr yet but you can really feel the increase in power.

mine only got done about 14 days ago, so time will tell . no obvious probs so far though.

Who are you thinking of using.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I had a 220 Upsolute done and i'm more than happy with that 6 months on

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

why are you happy with it? because it hasnt broken or broken anything? that plot above shows you the different just between two company's maps, id be happy if i knew what the map would look like before hand

that apr plot actually looks like a nice delivery

sheryl has a custom code generic one on her a3, the essex lot has just bought a gtech, so well be able to get a plot of that up soon too. ive not got much faith in the custom code one for some reason, just something i dont like about them (cant remember exactly whta at the minute)

itll be nice to see if all the fanboy's claims are true or whether their map is utter pony

9. Admin Guest

Nowt wrong with custom code, Bhp wise smooth as a smooth thing on my remap, Torque has a high spike but its still has a smooth delivery from 3000rpm to 5000rpm.
    (As these cars are turbos you wont really be holding to the redline as per N/A as you want to make the most of the small turbo torque delivery characteristics).

My remap was a phase 2 but all that is is a generic with some fine adjustments, not some live map as they would have you believe.

Thus a 300 quid phase 1 Custom Code map should be pretty good all things considered.

Revo seem to be making some of the worst maps at the moment, bloomin torque spikes everywhere which dissapear come 4500rpm.

Be interesting to see some direct comparisons actually but I'd reckon you'd see a couple of the cheap ones better than you'd think, and some expensive ones a lot worse.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well have a plot for sheryl's soon, should be interesting to see what that is actually like. the seat of the pants dyno gets influenced by placebo things like noise and the amount of money you spent on it convincing you it feels faster

i think hers drops off after 4.5krpm, but itll be interesting to see the plot to compare and see which actually is a good map to pay for.

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Its transformed the car from a pussy to a bit of a beast. My seat of the pants dyno thinks its great but didn't think a Revo one was as good.

12. Admin Guest

Matt - Sheryls DOES drop off after 4.5Krpm, its a K03 which does that.

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

good info here any more rolling road plots for differnt companys not from the company themselves :)

14. bula_82 Forum Junkie

i like my car (when its not busy breaking something else)... i'll be interested to know what its running etc.

matt makes no secret he doesnt like 20v power delivery but then, not everyone likes everything!

dave, out of interest, at what revs should the turbo kick in?

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ko3s too judging by the feel of yours and the plot, would be interesting to see what a ko4 does, having been in bobby's its much of the same again. never been a big fan of the 20vt mainly due to the delivery when standard/close to standard.i wonder what turbo was on the plots Bill got from stealth that i posted up there

the remapped ko3 plot will be up in a few weeks

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  16. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

im trying to post my dyno sheet up but failing.
    theres no way the power drops off at 4500rpm on mine, stays stong until around 5100.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

tried image shack?

18. altern8 Forum Junkie

or photobucket

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

this could be a good thread with plots of lots of them so you can compare how you want it to be before you pay for it.

20. Admin Guest

Not quite so much, and a good K03s map will actually be better across the midrange than a K04 map.

However, you have to consider that you have to drive totally different in a turbo car to account for its peak power, not just mash the pedal and hold it like on a NA.

Bills as above should have been a K03s going on power/delivery