Check my mates Grale out!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Tubthumped, Oct 1, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's a good point Steve, I tend to forget about fitting as I do them myself as does jimmy8v [:$]

2. GVK

I wouldn't pay BaT prices to do a track day tho..by the time you add the 40-50 extra they charge over most other TDOs you're back to the same price. :lol:

Edited by: GVK

3. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

No worries boss! [:^(]

4. GVK

As I expected, there's not a lot to be had in the way of discounts...

From Camskill..

195/50/15 A048 ----- 105.00 each (saving 7.00
    per tyre compared to our website price!)

the 215/45/17 A048 ----- 158.00 each (saving 13.00
    per tyre
    compared to our website price!!!!)

both the prices include VAT and delivery inside the uk

I've still got others to try.. But not holding my breath.

5. jimmy8v Forum Member

We've now got 20 tyres together, say each one is worth 100 quid, thats 2 grands worth of tyres. They must be able to do better, have you tried polley motorsport? We get our caterham tyres from them, they've always been pretty good and as its a small independant they are more likely to do adeal. Speaking of which we could do with some 185/60r13's for our car, but we havn't had the tyres confirmed for next season yet so we can't order them. Otherwise i'd be ordering 2 sets of yokos.

As soon as the regs are confirmed and they specify yokos which is pretty likely, i'll add a set to the order. All the caterham lot are arguing about compounds atm. Instead of trying to drive the cars better, they argue about freeing up the regs each season-very tedious.

And a bump for this thread too, there must be more than 5 trackday cars out there. Come on people! What about that banzai 'ring lap you've all got planned this year? Proxes or gsd3's aren't going to cut the mustard! The amount of track car orientated posts i've seen, surely you all need tyres? Well join the ao48 bandwagon......

Edit: I'll also happily fit/balance any of these tyres if i'm local to any of you lot. I'm in surrey, not far from no rice if any of you lot frequent that.
    Edited by: jimmy8v

6. GVK

I still need to try Polleys and a few others.

I suppose it's the cost of the 48s that puts a lot of people off, I just like how predictable they are especially when cold - My current set have lasted really well, still not totally dead, prolly a couple of track days in them.

But as you say, there's a lot of track orientated posts on here, so surely must be more than 5 of us interested :lol:

7. Raider Forum Member

Dont know what they charge for postage but Demon Tweeks are not that far off those prices mentioned above. Might be worth a call?

Just worked it out from their website. Demon Tweeks prices work out 105.20 each delivered for a set of 4.
    Edited by: Raider

8. GVK

I bought my current set from DT, come to think of it, it was about 420ish the set delivered. :)

9. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Still got a few trackdays worth left on mine, will be looking to get a new set next spring/summer as i plan to run my track car on the road with them all summer for short journeys for fun and switch back to propper road tyres for long trips to tracks i would like to take a set to the ring next year as well, I just don't have a spare 400+ now to spend and then leave the new tyres sitting in the shed.

10. GVK

Well get on with wearing out your set then Steve :p

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I'll try,

now......whens the next javelin cadwell date? ;)

12. GVK

I had a look for that earlier, but no dates up for 2006 yet. :)

13. Rallye Forum Junkie

Gary give andy waters a bell, i know he sells em.

14. GVK

Thanks for that Tim, I will give Andy a bell. :thumbup:

15. ianb Forum Member

Why not try the Toyo R888's

As good if not better than A048's....much cheaper than the Yok's

I'm sorely tempted on price alone for my bus, TSR were using them on the Passat and rated them.

195 's are much better in price too....perhaps TSR could gives us a price

Ian

16. GVK

Toyos don't do 195/50 yet being the simple answer to that Ian - Mixed reports whether they are better or not.

17. DeltaDave New Member

Just spoke to my tyre supplier, he can get A048's and is speaking to
    his head office to get us some prices. He will get back to me in the
    next 7 days so guys dont rush. I have asked him to get prices for both
    195/50/15 and 215/45/17, prices for 5 sets of 4, 10 sets, and 20 sets.

There is a possiblilty that you could also have them fitted at any
    location of your choice as the company is nationwide. Or choose to have
    them delivered.

18. ianb Forum Member

They do a size that will fit...205 x 50 x 15

I ran this on my valver with the Dunlop Formula R's...cracking tyre with good wear rate for an inter.

They fitted nicely on a 7x15 inch rim.

As for handling with that size...can I say any more CFJ was excellent on track.

As for Toyo's they certainly are as grippy as the Dunlop's...I tried them on a valver and on Neal's Passat.........certainly the Scoob and Evo brigade rate them as excellent value for money

I'd try them.

Ian

19. GVK

205s will be too wide for my car, the front track has been increased by 16mm each side and the rear track 10mm each side, so I will need 195s..Unless I raise the suspension a lot..

DeltaDave, thanks - let us know how how you get on

20. jimmy8v Forum Member

The dunlop formula r's are meant to be good, but they are even more expensive than the yokies. I've heard very mixed reviews of the toyos, but i have no personal experience with either. I can only say that i don't have that much faith or brand loyalty in toyo as a road tyre manufacturer and therefore i wouldn't have a great deal of faith in them on track. I've just seen the construction quality of them, and read some interesting stuff in the tyre press that doesn't cast them in a particularly good light.

I have been umming and ahing about 195/50 or 205/50 for a while, and still cannot decide. The 205 has a slightly higher sidewall which is theoretically going to make it slightly more flexible, so in true f1 style i could use that as the source of the majority of 'give' in my suspension, however my concerns are similar to yours gary,arch clearance. Mine is not widetracked but 7j 15's and mk1 arches aren't a match made in heaven when lowered anyway.

Still not 100% either way, anyone else have any input?