Choosing A Different Colour?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Richard Mk2, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Alright everyone :thumbup:

I'm going to be spraying my Mk2 Golf soon and i have found the colour i want!
    My brother used to own a nice rare blue MK2, but as he doesn't own it anymore, and im not too sure what the paint code was on it?
    Ive added a pic of the car below, so if anyone knows what it is please let me know.

Cheers Guys !!! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

2. Richard Mk2

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Won't it look w*nk if you spray your black car in blue paint without properly stripping it down to the shell?

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

No, no, no, no, no!!

5. Richard Mk2

Thats what i intend to do, strip it down to bear shell and spray it - a proper job! :thumbup:
    I was going to get it sprayed in its original colour, so it looks fresh and showroom condition, but ive had a change of heart, i want a colour which stands out from the rest, and is rare.

Black is a little too common on Mk2 these days. When ever do you see a MK2 at a show painted this BLUE colour? - Hardly any... Or none!

When we went to inters last year we didn't see any MK2 in strato blue.
    I think it suits the car well :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. Richard Mk2

YES YES YES YES YES :lol:

7. Richard Mk2

I quite like this colour too :thumbup:

Atlas Gray Metallic - LP7V

[​IMG]

8. nealey Forum Junkie

Wouldnt it be easier to just buy one in that colour

9. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

It's not rare at all! It's a very common early (usually CL/GL) colour!

10. Richard Mk2

I can see what your saying mate, it would be easier and cheaper buying one in that colour but ever since my brother got his hands on it, i started searching for one in that particular colour, and i haven't come across one yet. And he bought that Golf 6 years ago!!! ;)
    The only other one ive seen was a standard MK2 4 door GL, which my old neighbour a few houses down owned.

Its such a rare colour. You see more Oak Greens about... [:s]

Like i said above, at Inters last year there wasn't one in Stratos blue anywhere. I love the colour and i think it would be something different, stand out from the rest... Plus its looks like an original, nice colour... Which suits the Golf!!! :thumbup:

11. Richard Mk2

It is rare now. Like i said above, there wasn't one at Inters, or any other show ive been to lately. Also there is no one on here who owns a sratos blue MK2 on ClubGTi... I see more Oak Greens...
    As they are not common on the streets, it does make it a rare colour...

Like i said above, the only other one ive seen is a 4 door GL... I have't seen any other 3 door in that colour anywhere...........

12. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

There's at least 2 on eBay right now [><]

Breaks me when people describe most things VW as rare!

13. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

What's actually your reason for wanting it sprayed? Surely it's not just because you are bored of black.

Why not spend the money on something worthwhile?

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Can't see it myself, I know black mk2's are resonably common but there's a reason - it looks great, that blue is just a gl colour and a common colour at that! not worthy enough to go the the time and money of respraying, it just doesn't look anything special. There's even a mk1 cl still about near me in that colour that's owned by a an old feller who just potters around in it! if you have to spray it then it'll have to be atlas grey that you've picked or better still pearl grey metallic that my first mk2 was in.

15. WillG

WillG Forum Member

nowt wrong wi' black!

16. Richard Mk2

Yea i love black MK2's, don't get me wrong, thats why i bought one :thumbup:

I just want a change... Its either that blue colour or the nice grey in the pic above!!! :thumbup:

17. Richard Mk2

Yea i know it looks great, thats why i bought my mint black one but i'm a little board of it now.... I do like the Atlas Grey, it looks the tits.... But i still like the blue... Its gonna be a hard decision.... :thumbup:

18. Richard Mk2

Yea i know black looks great, thats why i bought my mint black one but i'm a little board of it now tbh mate.... I think its to do with 4 of my friends, all owning black MK2's, i want something a little different from the rest... I do like the Atlas Grey, it looks the tits....:thumbup: But i still like the blue... Its gonna be a hard decision mate.... :thumbup:

19. Richard Mk2

I am a little board of it tbh mate. Don't get me wrong i love black MK2's, which is why ive got one but As i said above, 4 close friends of mine all own black MK2's, and i want something different. . Money isn't really an issue tbh, as all i want to do to the car in the next coming months is spray it, chuck a set of BBS splits/Avev A'a or some Borbet A's, tidy and tune the engine and maybe a set of nice ed1 Recaros... Just get it looking real tidy and to stand out from the crowd :thumbup:

20. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Don't get me wrong, I think the blue looks ace but it certainly isn't rare!!!

Easily have the blue over Atlas Grey too, but I am a little biased having owned 2 Atlas Grey MK2's I really went off it after that.