Closer to the problem!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by scottjoshua, Dec 2, 2006.

1. mk1steve Forum Member

good man cheers for all the help
    hats off to you

your a leg end:lol:

2. Cazzzooom Forum Member

Right, got some pics but I've also included a pic of the engine bay in general.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also today we took it to the tuners, turns out the ignition timing was out quite a long way and now it works a lot better in the low revs but it's still bad when you just put your foot to the floor in the low rpm.
    He said the bearings in the intermediate shaft are gone and now today the seals on the injectors are leaking![:x]

Anyway what about those vacuum bits, they've now been blocked up but should they have been?
    Also can anyone see just from the photos if there is anything out of the ordinary with the engine bay, I know it may be hard?
    Any help appreciated!:)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep that tube you point out should be blanked off :)
    Cant see anything else wrong apart from that vacuum tube on the left could do with being tucked underneath out the way, and it's filthy :lol:

See that round black plastic thing on top of the rocker cover, check the bung it pushes into, they like to split round the bottom and give you a nice air leak :)

4. Cazzzooom Forum Member

Pretty gay really all at once! He's looking at quite a splash of cash on this car. He's got those injector seals, altenator, intermediate shaft bearings, timing belt, auxilary belt, power steering belt and the gasket on that water hose intersection block where the blue temp sender is to fix![8(][:^(]
    He's had quite a run of sick engined cars!
    And of course who knows what else could be wrong with it![xx(]

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

IS bearings are near enough an engine-out job......... and then there is the question of why they died, low oil pressure?

6. Cazzzooom Forum Member

Well supposedly the guy who owned it before did 60k miles in one year according to the MOT cert!
    I think it's done like 160k so maybe not been seviced regularly. It has got loads of service history with it so I shall look at that.
    I think all of these Jobs are going to mount up to a heck of a lot of money, I mean for what he could realistically afford compared to the cost of the car!

7. rubjonny

if i were you I'd look for another head and a 2.0 bottom end, build em up off the car and swap over. Will probably cost you about the same ammount of money as all those other jobs...

8. Cazzzooom Forum Member

Well he is looking at getting a 16v in may so he don't want to spend too much money on this one, but I see your point!

9. rubjonny

Well I'd just leave it as is then, I'm sure it'll last till may :)
    A 2.0 8v would be easier to do since you can use all the existing fuel injection, it'll all just plug in. But wheres the fun in that :lol:

If you can get an ABF complete with the engine loom, it'll plug straight into the fusebox since its a 90 spec 8v, the going rate is around 400 for the engine+loom.

10. Cazzzooom Forum Member

Sounds interesting, I shall pass it by him and I'm sure when he sees the comparison in price he'll have a good think about it.
    Problem is it's his daily driver and only car! So he'll have no ride for a while and I aint the most experienced mechanic, I've had heads off and driveshafts and stuff like that but nothing like an engine transplant.
    All sorts could go wrong and usually I tend to break things, only ever the old parts but usually they need re-using:lol:

11. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Might be able to pick up another 8v block for 100 mark that will run as it should for 6 months. Saves arsing around with all the problems on the current lump, which will cost alot more than a 1er to sort out.

12. rubjonny

100 is a bit steep for a 1.8 block, I paid 40 for my 2.0 2e engine! Admittidly that was a bargain, but theres lots of 1.8 blocks kicking about so no need to spend a fortune. Any 1.8 block from a MK2 will do, even carbed ones!

13. scottjoshua New Member

So i see jonny(caazoom) has explained! its not running to badly at the mo, just there is the knocking in the is bearing, which i been told will make the timing slip out again?
    but as explained do you think its better to get a new lump?
    Rubjonny you know your stuff, where can i get a cheap one?

14. rubjonny

Hmm I wouldn't have thought it will make the timing slip unless it was REALLY bad, main problem might be the movement will make the seal fail and it'll start leaking oil which wont do the belt any good.

Any MK2/Jetta with a 1.8 lump will do, try to find a 1.8GL automatic, you know its bin owned by an old man [8D]

15. scottjoshua New Member

Haha! true! well I think the geezer who did the timing must have done something to the seals cos it wasnt hissing before! but anyway, u say that the timing wont slip? its only knocking, there is a little movement if u push the tensioner but nothing dramatic...as mentioned i am only keeping it till may and want a 16v is this a problem that can be left?

16. scottjoshua New Member

how big a job is the seal? unless its the gaskett thats gone?...my car is a state[:^(]

17. Cazzzooom Forum Member

If we were to get a carbed one we would only need to blank off the fuel pump location on the side of the block wouldn't we?

18. rubjonny

Cazzzooom: Yep, but you can pinch everything you need off the old block before you scrap it, or you could just leave the pump on there! :lol:

Scott: Movement when you push the tensioner? That has nothing to do with the intermediate shaft its a replacable part... The intermediate shaft sprocket is covered by the lower cambelt cover?

19. scottjoshua New Member

on top of everything the altnator belt is slipping in the rain and the batt light keeps coming on and, what i assume is the power steering belt, is squeaking like a biatch! so gonna get new belts and altenator for the weekend...woe is my motor!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  20. scottjoshua New Member

sorry rubjonmny i meant that if u push down on the altenator pulley thing (sorry if u hadnt guessed by now i aint the most technical person) it does move up and down so i thought because it isnt that secure the belt would be slipping because it isnt tight?