Closer to the problem!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by scottjoshua, Dec 2, 2006.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok completly different from the timing belt then :lol:
    Is it actual play in the alternator pulley, or is the alternator itself loose?

2. scottjoshua New Member

rubjonny you got my email yeah? well there is play in the pulley plus the bracket thing to adjust the altenator....sorry[8-}] .... has gone as well.
    when i was getting it tuned the guy had stethoscope thing and listend to the altenator and it was rattling but then he put it below, which I take it is the intermediate shaft and that was rattling even more so i guess they both need to be changed?

3. rubjonny

Yeah I did :)
    If the pulley itself is rattling then the alternator bearings are past their best, get the alt & bracket replaced, see where that gets you.
    It would have been an idea for him to remove the alternator & brackets then run the engine briefly to see if the rattling continues...
    I'd check the tensioner too, they can make a racket when near death!

4. scottjoshua New Member

true. well on the weekend im doing the timing belt and tensioner, the altenator and belt and maybe the power steering belt.
    now i have done the timing but still there is a lack of power so still not sure what it could be?

5. jc.. Forum Member

or more likely his speedo died and those were the only clocks he could find.....

6. scottjoshua New Member

yeah true, i hope thats the case, i have last years mot cert and it says 117k and the clocks now read 181k! he was a stundent so dunno where he got the time to do 60k odd miles!

7. scottjoshua New Member

Another problem happened last nite!!
    started fine after work, drove bout 100 yards and stopped at some lights and the revs dropped and it cut out, so started it again and it wouldnt rev properly, i'd put my foot down and it'd go to 2k and splutter then up some more and splutter then it'd clear and rev its guts out about 4k, i had to ride the cluth and rev the hell out of it and pulled over.
    turned the engine off, left it for a while, tried it, still happened then rode the clutch and it seemed to clear up?
    not sure what happened, any clues?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  8. rubjonny

Pop the bonnet and look for loose or damaged wires & vacuum hoses :)
    Have a good look at your spark plugs & leads too, run it at night and you'll see if any are arcing to the head.

9. scottjoshua New Member

i put new leads sparks dizzy cap and rotor arm...? any leads in paticular, as i said im stupid?
    also do you know what speedometer in meant to be in my car? what top speed should it show?
    mt mate jonny(caaazzoom) absolutly battered me in his car yesterday, his 1.8 driver, its not right!

10. rubjonny

Sounds like the timing is still off, max speed should be 120, or possibly 140 but not as common.
    Look at all the leads & hoses you can lay your hands on :lol:

Has it got slower since the last time you had the timing checked? maybe the woodruf key on the cab sproket has sheared off throwing off the cam timing...