Corrado 2.0 TSI (EA888 SWAP)

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by Apsik, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Apsik New Member

Hi Everyone
    I am in that project for a while now. It's TSI SWAP in Corrado G60 - customers car.

Corrado 1.8 G60 ... nothing special, mid condition car (but it is getting better), engine almost dead but charger in very good condition. Almost everybody knows this ... you fixed the charger, installed smaller pulley, cam, chip and the car does not drive as good as it should.

To avoid any further failures owner asked me to SWAP much newer engine - under 20000miles.

What I use is 2011 2.0 TSI CCZA engine gen. EA888 (chain drive timing) with 02A gearbox :)
    Engine seats on stock MK6 engine mount (had to fabricate a base for it), gearbox mounted on stock front and rear mounts.
    The challenging part was:
    - P/S - as you can see on pictures I used Vauxhall electric P/S pump, wired it and it is working perfect.
    - A/C - had to fabricate a fancy bracket but it fits (I could not use the MK6 A/C compressor because it's valve operated bla bla bla...)
    Of course the car has to stay as stock as possible so I use stock Corrado clocks.

About the MED17.5 ECU - all what was "bad" is deleted (EVAP & Immo).

Some pict:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine IN :)
    [​IMG]

Electric P/S pump in place
    [​IMG]

EA888 228mm Flywheel - probably it's the first ever made [:D]
    [​IMG]

2. lard44 Forum Member

Mmmm...is this still a work in progress? Beginning to see the 2.0 TSI engines being used more and more for conversions...looks very interesting so far!

Contemplating where to go next with my VR6 Corrado - the engine's pretty tired and I'm thinking if if fails MOT in a couple of months to convert to something else (my spare VR6 lump now being charcoal).

3. murph81 Forum Member

Looking forward to the updates, sounds like a nice project.

What power steering pump are you using?

4. Apsik New Member

I hope to have it ready by the end of next week.
    I use Vauxhall/Opel Astra 2 P/S electric pump. On that car you can find two different P/S pumps: with neck and without. My is with the neck (see picture) because it is older and I know how to wire it. The newer one (without neck) supports ESP and I did not deal with it yet :)

5. murph81 Forum Member

Is there much to wiring it up?

How did you connect the pipework?

6. Apsik New Member

4 wires: ground, 30, 15 and D+ (no relay needed, works only with engine running)

Close to my workshop I have forklift service/workshop. They do all kind of hydraulic connections up to 330bar. I took the pressure hose coming from the pump, took the pressure pipe with hose coming from the Corrado steering rack (shortened it before), went to the forklift workshop and 10min later the pressure hose was ready.
    Return hose was to short so they replace it with longer one.

7. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks for the info!

Are they a reliable pump, have you used them before?

8. Apsik New Member

I did replace 2 or 3 on cars with 150000+miles. According to the seller this one comes from a car with 90000miles.
    Because they are 30 (used) here in Poland it is a good solution.

9. murph81 Forum Member

How are you going about the management side of things, what are you using from the donor car?

10. Apsik New Member

As less as possible.
    MED17.5 ECU, engine with harness, wideband O2 sensor, clutch & brake sensor.
    Custom parts are: rev converter for the Corrado clocks and speedo signal converter to CAN BUS.

11. murph81 Forum Member

I didn't think it was that easy?

12. Apsik New Member

There are some harness mods but I am not worried about wiring :)
    I did some research and checked the software. If there are more issues I will have to dig into the software to fix them. But AFAIK I have all to run it without power limitation.
    The ECU won't be DTC free (for example: I am not running the radiator fan control unit) but all the power will be available.

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Nice build :)

where are you getting the rev counter signal from, I guess it via CAN-BUS? On the MK5 looms I have made so far I added a rev counter wire to the MK5 ecu connector (used same pin as a MK4 DBW ecu as the rest of the pins seem to match pretty much) and hoped that would be enough but no feedback from my customers as of yet!

edit: same for the VSS signal :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. Apsik New Member

I can get revs either from the alternator or from CAN-BUS. Both works fine.
    VSS comes from the OEM Corrado pickup on the 02A gearbox.
    I am using custom built "VSS to CAN-BUS converter". This way I do not have to play with the software that much. And because the clocks needs coil signal for revs I use DSL-1 converter to read the rpm from alternator.
    This combination works best on old cars (3 years of experience, no issues yet).

If the clocks needs MK3/MK4 rev signal (ex. MK3 Golf GTI) than the "VSS to CAN-BUS converter" is upgraded with revs translation option.

Where did you find the same ECU connector on MK4 and MK5? MK4 is ME7.x where the MK5 MED9.1
    Please note that I use here MED17.5 ECU (Tricore) which corresponds to MK6 (and MED9.x & MED17.X share the same connector).

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

when I say VSS I mean the vehicle speed output signal from the clocks to the ecu, unless MK5 ecu doen't care if this is missing? I was hoping you had found that the MK5 ecu rev counter ecu pin worked but oh well :lol:

The ECU I have worked on have all used the same plugs as MK4 DBW, but they were R32 BUB or BDB codes so that would probably explain it! I haven't done a TFSI one yet and was assuming they also had the same plugs but I guess not ;)

16. Apsik New Member

There are some MED9.1 ECUs which works fine without the VSS but "stationery" rev limiter has to be turned off in the software. MK5 TFSI MED9.1 ECU needs VSS
    Yessss BUB & BDB are all MK5 ME7.5. I limited my mind to 2.0l engines only lol (my mistake)
    And yes the rev pin works. Although sometimes it needs software modification.
    ME7.x plugs are different from MED9.x and MED17.x

17. murph81 Forum Member

Any updates on this, what are you using to regulate the fuel pressure supply to the engine?

I see the standard fuel filters are fitted with a built in regulator, I wonder could these be used instead of fitting a stand alone regulator?

18. Apsik New Member

Project is 100% complete.
    Today I did last software mods and here is the result:
    [​IMG]

Corrado 2.0 TSI CCZA
    stock turbo @1.5bar
    3" DP + 2,5" free flow exhaust
    3" intake, K&N air filter
    and few our mods to avoid surge, misfire etc.

[​IMG]

I installed the stock TSI fuel pump inside the tank, stock TSI fuel pump controller, stock TSI fuel filter under the car so the fuel system works like stock TSI.

When I swap engine with its stock EFI (ME7, MED9, MED17) I always keep the fuel system it came with.
    To much mods does not make your life easier.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    murph81 likes this.
  19. LukaszGti

LukaszGti Paid Member Paid Member

Seen it on FB page. Nice one!

20. murph81 Forum Member

Excellent results there, some amount of torque!

What's it like to drive, any photo's of your downpipe?