cv BOOT CLIP PLIERS, DO THEY EXIST?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by PhatVR6, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Golden Forum Junkie

Sorry the pics don't work, trouble with host server at the mo.

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Same as the tile nipper we sell here (Plumbers Merchant)

3. Golden Forum Junkie

Pics work now guys.

4. FSARoyster Forum Member

Golden, can you or anybody else :) point me in the direction of your pics, as I'm having a beast trying to put these clips on. People have obviously had fun doing this in the past, but by the sounds of things they struggle to get them on tight enough, I can't even get them on let alone tighten the things!!! They're genuine VAG, 1987 MK2 GTI 16v.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

now thats a bump and a half

6. G60. Forum Member

i use cable ties :lol: :lol:

7. FSARoyster Forum Member

I've gone for cable ties after being completely fed up trying to fit the official clips. Meanwhile to add to my agony, the 3 bolts that hold the ball joint into place are giving me problems, I started removing these, managed to get 2 out, in an attempt to pull the wishbone down to allow me to get better access to the cv joint, in the end I gave up and managed to remove the big single bolt that clamps the ball joint in at the top of the wishbone instead, I bought a bunch of new bolts, all 4 in fact, but where I've been struggling to get the 3rd bottom bolt out, I've managed to move out of position the plate that the 3 ball joint bolts go into, I've tried knocking it back into position but no luck, so the new bolts I've got won't go back in, as the plate, wishbone and ball joint just don't line up!!! I'm tempted to remove the entire wishbone, for two reasons, one I can then attempt to drill out the 3rd bolt, and secondly to re-align the ball joint back in the wishbone. Is removing a wishbone a big job? Will I potentially need any new parts, as the bushes look like they could well be the originals (21 years old), ideally I'd like to replace the wishbone and bushes with new ones, if so I'd do both sides whilst I'm at it, but I won't be able to get hold of the new parts by tomorrow and I really would like the car to drive to work next week. Any suggestions or useful advice guys?

Thanks in advance