Difference between 1.9TDi 90bhp and 110bhp?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by MK-III_Boy, May 4, 2010.

1. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

hi there all
    im just wondering what the difference is between the 1.9TDI 90bhp and the 110bhp?

i currently own at 90bhp (AHU) but im looking to remap/chip the engine,
    is it worth it??
    ive just had a loock on motech perfomance and from 90bhp it goes up to 115bhp
    and 210 torque it goes up 260 torque?

http://www.motechperformance.co.uk/

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

an extra 25bhp but more importantly 50nm of torque i'd say was worth it.
    there are other companies to consider as well, I know custom code does diesel tuning.

you couldn't get the 110bhp engine for 300 or less, and the mk3 never came with that engine so it's upto you if you wouldn't mind a bit more poke.
    It won't set your fire alight but an extra 20-30bhp is awlays nice and you might get better mpg, might......

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Some Mk3`s apparently did come with the 110 engine, but it`s hit and miss if you`d find one.

Easiest way to go would be to get the larger nozzles from the 110 and swap them onto your AHU (since that`s the only difference between the two... ;)

The 110 also has a slightly different map to compensate for the extra fuelling. IIRC you can alter the settings via VAG-COM to suit, but the general concesus would be not to bother.

The only side-effects of not doing so are; a bit more soot when you boot it, and a shudder when the engine is switched off.

If you can live with that, then the whole job should cost you around 70-90 (if you swap the nozzles yourself)

There`s a guide on here somewhere, detailing which nozzles you need and how to swap them.

4. Phil. Forum Junkie

110 - 90 = 20 :p

I'll get my coat....

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No, you'll go outside NOW. Security will get your coat. Heading down this way any time soon boyo? Or I should be picking up an E30 325i Touring soon from MarkD, if you fancy getting stabbed then arrested, in Lurgan for a crash-out night...

6. DGT

DGT Forum Member

nozzles nozzles nozzles... cheap as chips, really satisfying job and youd be surpised what you will leave in a cloud of smoke:lol:

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I did it with someone before using vagcom when the put 110 injectors on. You have to alter pump timing using vagcom.

8. m1keh Forum Member

You have to adjust the idle fuel injection quantity with vag-com when fitting the bigger nozzles. Plus the 110 came with a varibale vane turbo etc which made the torque come in sooner.

9. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

sorry i haven't logged on here in a while, been busy with uni work !!

So nozzles and then alter the fuel with vag-com?

and turbo vanes? (sorry it went over my head)

erm i need to get a fuel shut off valve, i havent be able to go to a scrap yard to pocket one lol!![:$]:thumbup::lol:
    but if i need a new one it costing around 60 from VW

10. StuMc

Yep, nozzles, then fuelling via VAG-COM. :thumbup:

Later turbos (and I can`t confirm for definate that the 110bhp engines have them or not...) have `variable vanes`.

What that means is, the vanes (turbine blades) alter their angle as the turbo spools up, thus reducing lag. Not something you need to worry about in your case...nozzles, and your done... ;)

11. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

ahhh that makes a bit of sense,

ill have to get some nozzles from scrappies..
    just in case i cant pick up the nozzles from the scrapyard, could anyone reccomend where i can pick up a set of nozzles fairly cheap? (what engine code is the 110TDi?)

erm on injectors, i have seen some people take out injectors for a Audi TT's? i think, (but its defiantly from an Audi)

im looking to change my turbo in a few months down the line,
    im going to go for a T3/T4 flanged turbo with a mk2 GTi turbo exhaust manifold and then remap for the turbo,

:thumbup:

12. StuMc

There`s always plenty of nozzles on the Bay of E...generally in the 70-90 range.

110bhp engine code is AFN. :thumbup:

13. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

thanks just looking around for a set of AFN Nozzles :thumbup:

Say if i change the nozzles, how would i change the fuel settings in VAG-com?
    ive only used VAG-com once or twice just to check error codes (Fuel Shut off valve- still needs replacing)

14. DGT

DGT Forum Member

15. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

16. DGT

DGT Forum Member

cool.
    i just remembered that the only small issue you will find is slowing down, if you stay in a highish gear,say, approaching a junction, the car will overfuel a wee bit and may shudder until you drop a gear, but you quickly learn to adjust your style otherwise its just a whole heap more fun [:D]

let us know how you get on :thumbup:

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You do need to adjust fuel with vagcom. For idle, as the ecu thinks it is supplying enough fuel, but is actually overfuelling.

look at the end of this pdf. Not sure if basic vagcom can do it though.

I've got full version that can do it.

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/pdf/injector_install_howto.pdf

Taken from TDI club FAQ

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  18. DGT

DGT Forum Member

5 years ago when i fitted those nozzles to an A3 i asked the question on freds TDI and was advised that it wasnt essential, which is what i found on both cars, however id thrown out the EGR on both cars so that may have helped.
    i drove over 120k between the 2 cars and my wife drove them 2, she didnt notice anything untoward!
    as its probably a 5 min job with VAGCOM its probably worth it for completeness i suppose

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I think it reduces black smoke too. May help with fuel economy also

20. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

just another thing...
    if block the EGR, do i gain or lose bhp/torque?
    and also what in needed to block the EGR,

going back to the injectors, i have paid for the item and should be here in a few days.. fingers crossed hopefully this week,
    i dont have any tools to take my injectors out, (looking at russel smiling:)[:$])
    also i would need some help putting in the in nozzles,
    i read the PDF tutorial, its just i dont trust my self with fuel systems,
    i set my old 2.0ltr 16v redtop(c20xe) on fire casue i didnt put the fuel pipes back together properly [8(][8(]