digi slr for xmas - got a head ache but getting there!!!

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by RIP-MK3, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

no from jessops, and you fill in a claim form and they give you 40 cash back

see here

they had an offer on the camera too which is why it ended up so cheap

I like the way the screen folds out at different angles, and think it looks nice too

3. Trev16v

Ah that's the same one as I linked to above - that's the one then! Seems like a really good deal and it does look excellent. Quite tempted, to be honest. Clearly has good reviews.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

my friend who is marketing manager for olympus could get me a E420 with lens and memory card for 280 but said for that price I would be better with the sony.

I did contemplate getting my GF to buy me just a camera body and then buying a lens myself to get a slightly better spec model - but every review I read about the A350 which is the next one up said that it was really good but not worth the extra from the A300...

5. Trev16v

The only really negative thing that www.cameralabs.com seemed to have to say about the A300 was noise levels in comparison to other models when you're really zooming in and cropping, but I don't think I'm anywhere near serious enough to be fussed.

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

me niether... What attracted me to it, was that the reviews written by people that have bought it ( i found the reviews by experts too in depth and anal - all went straight over my head) described it as a point and shoot in auto mode but with the manual functions as and when you want to learn how to do it properly.

BTW just seen Canon are also doing a cashback deal on the jessops site, same as Nikon making them basically all 292 so choice is yours really

7. Trev16v

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

how do you look at them?? post me a link please :)

dont worry found it

9. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

I'm sure I mentioned it in a thread before, but yes, buy the sony :)

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

you did, its what made me look :thumbup:

11. WEZ

Then, no probs, hope you're happy with your purchase! :thumbup: [:D]

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

il let you know xmas day when I actually get to see it.... one thing I can't seem to find out, is how many pictures will fit onto a 1gb/4gb/8gb card using the highest quality (10mp) roughly - any idea's??

13. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Depends on what size photos you take - small/medium/large and what resolution (always take at the highest resolution) and whether you're taking jpgs or RAW files. (Bit like asking how long is a piece of string)

Get yourself a couple of high speed cards - they're cheap enough at the moment - and you'll be fine.

14. cliveyp Forum Member

Ok, it's been a very very long time since i posted on here, but i spotted this section and thought i'd have a read!!

I run a 4gb card in my 400D. On high res jpeg i get just under 1000 photos. This drops to around 250 when i shoot in jpg/RAW, which is what i normally do it in.

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well I am getting a 4gb card and that will be plenty I think, if not I will just get another one in the sales

16. Trev16v

Ordered the A350. [eek]

17. WEZ

well done Trev, crack baz's wallet open!

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nice one, basically the same but better image quality - 14mp isn't it? he's not letting you have it before xmas day is he?

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Bottom line... do you need an SLR? If you have a pocket sized camera, you'll take it with you, but if you have a big old lump, you won't have it with you as much.

If you're just learning about digi cameras, and photography in general, I'd suggest you buy a decent digital compact, with about 8-10MP and 4 or 5x optical zoom.

I hear mixed things about Olympus digitals too. Maybe consider another brand.

I have a mate who's in the trade - he teaches people how to use digital cameras properly - either 1:1 or in groups. Well worth spending a couple of hours learning how to use a camera properly. He's a proper photographer, so can teach you about the basics of the camera, as well as how to take a proper photograph, as opposed to a holiday snap.

http://electriclandscape.com/

20. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

canons are good, but can you be arsed to carry a proper SLR round a club when your wasted ? and look all david bailey when trying to get shots.

what about a canon ixus pocket sized digi
    good thing with digi slr is the dont have much of a lag