digi slr for xmas - got a head ache but getting there!!!

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by RIP-MK3, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I don't need an SLR, and I know that holding one in my hand won't make me a good photographer (I'm no photographer at all to be honest - I just point and shoot) but I'm always impressed by the distinctive results that people have from SLRs. One of the in-laws has always been good with photography so I'll beg some tuition from her.

And anyway, the old man is paying. :lol:

I do have a compact Ixus V2 and it has always done me very well. Only 2 megapixel but takes nice images.

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I also have a fairly decent compact, that I litirally do carry everywhere as its waterproof and shockproof etc....

I don't need an SLR, I WANT one. I want to learn how to use it and plan on getting some tuition too, but as ever the internet is your friend for information

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

having been playing with it for a couple of days, reading the manual (shock horror!!!) and trawling countless internet sites I have one big head ache. I know understand about types of lens'. apperture (sp) shutter speed, ISO etc etc.

Now just got to have a play with changing the settings on my camera and seeing how it effects it. Already looking at new expensive lenses and flashes and god knows what else, nothings cheap with camera's [8(]

wonder how trev's getting on with his new toy

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

tell me about it.

the last two lenses i've bought have totalled about 2k!

although they are awesome lenses and i wouldn't change them [:D]

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

2k!!! [8-}] could buy a motorbike for that!!! ha ha bet they are quality.

The thing that has been bugging me is learning what each setting does/effects the picture but taking pictures of the same thing ie indoors doesn't really help. You need to be in the right environment and then find a good setting for that if you get what I mean.

I have my first opportunity tonight, trying to get some decent nightclub shots. Trying to find some settings is really hard though as everyone does completely different things!!!

Im going to start with shutter speed priority, with either a really high ISO (1200) and no flash with a shutter speed of about 1/12 or a lower ISO of about 400 with a higher shutter speed and flash, and then work from there, some guys on flikr get some great shots without the flash but they are using a much quicker lens.

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

You're starting with the difficult bit first! Good luck with your night club stuff, but you may find it slightly easier with outdoor shots, where you don't need to rely on flash or high ISO.

High ISO will give you a lot of 'noise', which means your pics will be very grainy. Flash is also another can of worms, and the worse sort to use (as your main source) is the pop-up flash on your camera. If you get into serious flash photography, then you're probably looking at a couple of hundred pounds for a decent flash. And studio lighting starts there and carries on upwards.

Go outside, even if it's only in your garden, or a park, and play around with your different settings. The beauty of digital is that you can take tons of photos at no extra cost than a bit of electricity.

If you've got a knowledge mate, blag a day out with him.

Or join your local camera club - most places have them. And most camera clubs have competitions for their members, where you get to hear judges' comments on how good you are and what you can do to improve your pictures.

Or you may find a ten-week course at your local college.

You won't become a pro photographer in a few days, just take pleasure in learning/photographing what interests you most and you'll find you improve.

But most of all, enjoy it.

7. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah I've been having some fun with the A350. Went down to the beach the other day and got a lot of pictures down there. Might upload one or two later. Nothing special though because I don't know what I'm doing yet.

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

True, but I think it`s fair to say most of the people here already have such experience and want to step up to something a bit better.

Take for instance this wintry scene...

[​IMG]

I took this with my new Canon 450D, using a Tamron Tele-macro lens (70-300mm)

Here is the same scene taken with my `old` Fuji S5500.

[​IMG]

Both were taken with the cameras mounted on a tripod, and I think the difference speaks volumes.

The difference hear is the lighting conditions, and the fact the Fuji is on full digital zoom.

This card is the subject...;)

[​IMG]

TBH I`ve taken some cracking pictures with the Fuji, but it all depends on the conditions and subject matter, and if it only requires a slight zoom.

Take these shots for example, that I took at the NEC recently;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can`t wait to see how much better these type of shots will be with the Canon...

9. lufbramatt Forum Member

not sure if its already been said buy id get down the bookshop and get a decent book about the basics of photography- apertures, shutter speeds, depth of field, composition etc- at the end of the day all cameras are the same really its just a case of realising the relationship between shutter speed/aperture/ISO and how they will affect the outcome, and what you want to acheive from the picture.

nearly all the other features on a camera- "scene" modes, redeye, exposure compensation etc etc are just extras than can sometimes help to improve a shot, but its getting the basics right that will get you great shots to start with.

I would advise leaving it on either A or S mode (aperture or shutter priority), which lets you choose either to define the depth of field (aperture) or how motion is frozen shutter speed) then the camera works out the rest. Full manual mode isnt really needed, and exposure compensation can be dailed in to modify how light/dark the shot comes out.

Also its not always great to rely on the screen on the camera to judge a shots exposure, so get used to looking at the histogram (like a graph of how the tones in the pic are distributed), its a great tool for seeing if a pic is under/over exposed if you cant see the screen due to bright sunlight etc.

If you have a nice big memory card, turn on the auto bracketing feature which will let you automatically take 3 shots with different exposures then you can pick the best one later.

And I would also invest in a circular polarising filter which will make reflections on cars look really good and enhance the colours a bit.

Hope it all goes well tho and make sure you get some pics up for us :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008